$6800, 84 MPG and 107 MPH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capthead

Guru
Vessel Name
Heads Up
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
This is a car about to be launched that is totally made in the US. Legally it is a motorcycle because it is a three wheel vehicle but it carries two people and has a 672 mile range on a tank of gas.

There was another very similar trike that was made in Oceanside, CA. The last I checked on that one, someone must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse because it's no longer available. The difference between the two is the drive in the CA car was rear wheel, this car is FWD.

Here is a link, enjoy! Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

I hope he sells it. I want one. :)

Last edited:
Pretty neat. Reminds of the original Morgan, also a three-wheeler. They used three wheels so the owners would not have to pay certain UK taxes. Same thing with the Robin Reliant, the butt of a lot of Mr. Bean sight-gags. They were favorites of the senior set in the UK because as I understand it you don't need a driver's license to drive one.

Interestingly, this qualifies as a motorcycle so you can drive solo in the HOV (carpool) lane with it.

The videos are cool too. It is a great looking car for 6800

Aptera has an advantage when it comes to development time. The three-wheel design — two in front, one in back — means the resulting vehicle will be classed as a motorcycle in many states, including California. The testing and red tape required to market a motorcycle is less rigorous than for a four-wheel car. "It allows us to leapfrog into the market," Fambro says.

The old Euro ultra econo boxes sometimes had the rear wheels less than 14 inches apart to qualify as motorcycles.

I did a triple take on that teaser link that took me to the website and I almost didn't click it.

I lost a friend on a spyder. Rear ended at a stop light off a freeway off ramp. The girl was texting and never looked up. Unfortunately for him he couldn't get out of the way and he was a sitting duck. He flew off backwards flying over her car and broke his neck on the landing. I've never liked that bike since.

Reminds me of an updated version of a Messerschmidt KR-175.....

1954 Messerschmitt KR175

There were tons of them running all over Europe when we moved to Germany in 1956. We wanted to bring one home with us...but they weren't legal in the US...or at least that's what our dad told us.....

I lost a friend on a spyder. Rear ended at a stop light off a freeway off ramp. .

Sorry to hear about your friend.. :(

Being a Motorsycle rider myself, I'm always checking behind just for that at the stop lights/signs.

that Spyder is a death trap, No way to scram when you need too. and you cant split lanes, very easily.

And yeah... no way in hell would I buy that car either..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom