View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
lelievre12
Veteran Member

City: N/A
New owner for Cheoy Lee 66

Just a quick hello from the new owner of the 1987 Cheoy Lee 66, Sorpresa in Alameda, CA. As an Australian owner, she will one day find her way back to Sydney but in the meantime will be cruising the West Coast. Home will be Sausalito.

I did notice quite a long thread on Trawler Forum about this boat and am grateful to those Trawler Forum members who calculated hull speed, HP etc. I liked this boat for its seaworthiness, modest reliable engines and economy. I think the Cheoy is perfect as an LRC with 2700 gallons Fuel, CAT3306 engines and Naiad stabliizers. I think Witholz lines are also very pleasing and a cut above many design of the day.

My decision to buy this particular model was largely influenced by Tony Williams and his 1999 film "Before the Operations Begin" which you can see here :Before the Operations Begin - Television | NZ On Screen Thank you Tony!

Tony's 66 "Bravado" was an earlier model with Detroits. Sorpresa is a later widebody model with Cat's and a 2 stateroom layout.

She is undergoing a refit now to correct her survey findings and will be cruising south (or north?) this Summer.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows this particular boat or wants to chat about LRC cruising in general.
lelievre12 is offline   Reply With Quote