Best weather site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Paul

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Charismatic
Vessel Make
Hatteras LRC
Hi all. I have a new to me Hatteras 48 LRC that is currently in Ft Myers. The next leg of my delivery home is through the Charlotte Harbor inlet and straight across the Gulf to Mobile. What is the best site to check for weather conditions for this crossing?

I'll second Intellicast.com. They also have a pretty slick iPhone and iPad app, it is called "Intellicast Boating".

*Full disclosure, I work for Intellicast's sister-company, WSI in the Aviation division (also a sister-company to WeatherUnderground and The Weather Channel). If anyone uses the site or apps and has suggestions for improvement, PM me and I will be sure they get to the lead developers.

Hey Donny... Wind direction overlay!

I like Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

Below the first map and in the "Control panel" click on the "Gulf of Mexico - sea height" icon Travel when the area will be darkest blue for a period well over your trip time.
Good Luck

I used "Cris Parker" and was very good, I also received email by In Reach with Wind Guru

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

This ones good for showing the larger picture on Alaska and British Columbia's coast down to Washington State. If you look this morning, you'll see a 35 knot gale warning system heading straight for BC's north coast. (Hit the "play" button for a sequence of images showing how the system is moving).

Satellite Images

A friend of mine said that he cruised with 48/54 knots as wind. Is it possible? or he's a liar?

A friend of mine said that he cruised with 48/54 knots as wind. Is it possible? or he's a liar?
not sure if it should be called "cruising" but it certainly is possible if in the lee of the land, maybe even comfortable....but in open water it might be miserable to lifethreatening depending on the boat and skipper.

He said that was in a 45'sailboat, with tail wind

sailboats would handle it better in many cases...

I'll second Intellicast.com. They also have a pretty slick iPhone and iPad app, it is called "Intellicast Boating".

*Full disclosure, I work for Intellicast's sister-company, WSI in the Aviation division (also a sister-company to WeatherUnderground and The Weather Channel). If anyone uses the site or apps and has suggestions for improvement, PM me and I will be sure they get to the lead developers.

Unfortunately they ruined the weather channel, it used to be a great source of weather info, now its just another lousy news channel with Al Roker as the clown.

In Australia, Seabreeze.com.au

And my company pays for this service(WSI WX Brief)....so I have access to some good stuff! I also have some aviation links on another computer that I need to post up when I get on that computer. Being a Pilot and a surfer and a boater.....gotta have the weather info!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom