Single Stateroom trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
We are planning on purchasing a trawler to do the loop. Are there any 36-40' single stateroom trawlers? We don't think that we need the additional sleeping space but could use the additional living space.

If you could find a Wittholz designed 40' europa style you would have a v-berth only. They only built a few, all custom.

Grand Banks built a 36' Sedan and a 36' Europa. Same layout but the Europa has covered side and aft decks. Stateroom forward with a V-berth or island bed, head shower, closet, etc. Then the main cabin all the way to the aft deck. So far as I know all the GB36 Sedans and Europas have their galley in the main cabin.

Seahorse Marine Coots have a single stateroom, but then they are rare. The Coot fits my ideal of the "sleep two, entertain six" approach to boating. Three more can sleep in the saloon on the settees (one turns into a double), but that's too much humanity overnight in a 35-foot boat.

522264_0_070620101141_11.jpg

Last edited:
If you're looking for space & economy in an under 40 single stateroom trawler style of boat, the absolute king of space is probably the Great Harbour N-37 or GH 37. These boats feature a nearly 16 ft. beam and full sized appliances, etc.. The N series has the biggest stand-up engine room imaginable, while the GH design is much lower in height but equally broad. Somewhat less captious but similar in concept are the Krogen 36 Manatees. Both of these designs carry the beam farther forward than usual and have no lower deck side walkways, providing very large living spaces. You can also find them in twin stateroom layouts, but the Manatee is a single head and single diesel vs. twin heads and twin diesels and an office/stateroom conversion space for the Great Harbour. You didn't mention any price range, but the Great Harbour's will be at least double or more the initial investment of the Manatee. Both can be found on Yachtworld.

Last edited:
A Pilgrim 40 comes to mind for obvious reasons. Single screw, single stateroom, most have a single head, large galley, salon and back deck on the same level. Only 41 built but five currently for sale.

... These boats feature a nearly 16 ft. beam and full sized appliances, etc.. ...

Could be difficult to find a berth to accommodate such a wide beam unless one pays for a much-longer-than-the-boat berth. The Coot's 13-foot beam is wide for a 35'8" boat, and in most marinas here I need a longer berth to accommodate the beam.

Island Gypsy made a 36ft Europa single stateroom. If you search the thread 'Island Gypsy 36 Europa" you`ll find some interior pics of mine including the berth, plus more info.
In most boats, no aft cabin results in a usable cockpit, effectively an extension/verandah of the saloon, cockpit depth varies make to make.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Really like the Krogen Manatee...Have looked at them at Yachtworld. There is one with only 50hp. The majority have 100. Is 50 enough ?

Grand Banks built a 36' Sedan and a 36' Europa. Same layout but the Europa has covered side and aft decks. Stateroom forward with a V-berth or island bed, head shower, closet, etc. Then the main cabin all the way to the aft deck. So far as I know all the GB36 Sedans and Europas have their galley in the main cabin.

The one and only GB 36 Europa I've ever been aboard had a small second stateroom to port, just aft of the master stateroom. Don't recall the year, but probably late 80's. Later models may have dispensed with the second stateroom.

Very nice vessel.

Thanks for all the info. Really like the Krogen Manatee...Have looked at them at Yachtworld. There is one with only 50hp. The majority have 100. Is 50 enough ?

Eleven original Manatees had Perkins 50's. They drove the boat at 6.5 knots well enough. The 90 Volvos that followed could do 7.5 without strain, and most could get another knot above that. I have a 140 Yanmar refit in mine and when pushing the boat beyond 8.5 knots, it produces a sizable hole and wake with little gain in speed. My feeling is that anything above 75 HP is probably wasted HP in a Manatee. When other Manatee owners have piloted mine, they tell me the additional torque makes the boat more responsive, but I don't feel it when piloting theirs.

The Perkins 50's were good, solid natural diesels that gave a long life. A resourceful owner can still find most of the parts thanks to so many other applications of the engine, and usually cheaper than the Volvos. The engine is enough to do what the boat was built to do, and according to the Manatee database, only three out of the original 11 Perkins 50's have been refit. One with a 100 Yanmar, one with a 110 Volvo, and another with a 150 Volvo. One burned in 2011 when another boat next to it caught fire in a Texas marina, so that means that there are still six 50's out there. The only report I've heard is 6 knots at .75 GPH, and no complaints.

Attachments

• perkins in Manatee.jpg
    perkins in Manatee.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 132
Our 42 CHB Europa has had the second bunkroom converted to an office / chart room. We had no need for a second stateroom.

Drinks for six.
Dinner for four.
Sleeps two. :)

I thought about buying a 36 with galley up...but knowing that I hated galley up and not necessarily needing the vee-berths...I was thinking of turning the salon into all salon and moving the galley to the vee-berth area.

It wouldn't have been too big of a deal...but yes more work than a turn key trawler.

The one and only GB 36 Europa I've ever been aboard had a small second stateroom to port, just aft of the master stateroom. Don't recall the year, but probably late 80's. Later models may have dispensed with the second stateroom.

Very nice vessel.

That may have been an optional configuration. The few GB36 Europas I'm familiar with just have the one forward stateroom.

PS. I just looked up the configuration of the then-new GB36 Europa in a back issue of "Spray," the company magazine, and there were indeed two configurations offered. The "standard" configuration had a very small v-berth cabin up forward with a second cabin behind it to port as you describe. The optional configuration--- which I suspect became more popular--- did away with the port cabin and instead greatly enlarged (lengthened) the forward cabin and had a center queen-size bed instead of the two small v-berths.

Last edited:
That may have been an optional configuration. The few GB36 Europas I'm familiar with just have the one forward stateroom.

PS. I just looked up the configuration of the then-new GB36 Europa in a back issue of "Spray," the company magazine, and there were indeed two configurations offered. The "standard" configuration had a very small v-berth cabin up forward with a second cabin behind it to port as you describe. The optional configuration--- which I suspect became more popular--- did away with the port cabin and instead greatly enlarged (lengthened) the forward cabin and had a center queen-size bed instead of the two small v-berths.

Thanks Marin, makes sense. The two sleeping areas seemed to be a bit scrunched I thought. The same layout on a 42 seemed just right.

Most boat designs tend to have more berths/beds than are practical.

If you don't mind doing some modification, a Marine Trader 36 sedan (Europa style) could make a great single stateroom boat. I did the drawings for a conversion, but never did it. It probably would also work on an IG. It would give a center line queen berth, copious hanging locker space, a desk, and plenty of room. Much of the demolition material could be salvaged for the reconstruction. Of course, it would be galley up. The head could stay as original with no modification. I think it would make a wonderful single state room boat. It would have the advantages of the Europa style layout with the master stateroom the size of an aft cabin. It just would not have the second stateroom.

The same layout on a 42 seemed just right.
Conrad: What does your 42 NT cruise at. (Max cruise--not WOT.) There's a 42 down here in San Diego and it's a beauty!

Conrad: What does your 42 NT cruise at. (Max cruise--not WOT.) There's a 42 down here in San Diego and it's a beauty!

Hi Walt; still getting her sorted out. (Only owned her 2 weeks)

She has a 350 HP Lugger for starters, whereas many have much higher HP.

But so far I can report that the PO cruised at 1600 RPM at 8.3 knots, using about 3 GPH. The delivery crew that brought the NT up to Campbell River ran at 2200 RPM at 10 knots using about 8 GPH.

On our recent maiden voyage we discovered a shimmy at 1600 - 1800 RPM so ran at 1500 RPM giving us 8.2 knots. The flow meter suggested we were using 2 GPH although I don't know how accurate that was.

During the sea trial she easily went up to 2600 RPM, her rated max, at just under 12 knots. That would suggest that she is slightly underpropped, but since we like the ~ 8 knot cruising range we won't touch the prop (unless it is the source of the shimmy) as we want to keep the engine running at 1500 RPM or higher.

Ours is actually hull #1 of the NT42 series, and we love it!

(As an aside, using a delivery crew was not a luxury; in fact it saved us many thousands of dollars as they left Canadian waters for a few minutes, allowing us to take ownership in international waters which as Alberta residents saved us the cost of the BC sales tax.)

That one we had so much fun with here is still for sale in San Francisco. He keeps raising and lowering the price on Craigslist

We are planning on purchasing a trawler to do the loop. Are there any 36-40' single stateroom trawlers? We don't think that we need the additional sleeping space but could use the additional living space.

Hi Wally! There should be quite a few choices in all price ranges I would think. Ours is a 35' Senator Sundeck. (tawainese CHB like) We have a walk around queen, galley down and salon with free standing furniture. (yes we secure the furniture when underway)

I'm a big fan of the Krogen 39'. I think it just depends on what budget you're working with. Plus for the loop, you want to watch your bridge clearance.

Good luck! Happy Shopping!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom