View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #199
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Sorry, it was in a relatively recent tribology manual the name eludes me but it was something catchy like Tribology Series volume (insert favorite number here)...

We were looking in to running Royal Purple in a primary pulp refiner. I have a subscription to online engineering books at work. I'll try and look it up tomorrow.

The reason is $$$. It just doesn't make sense for most applications. Otherwise it would be used everywhere in industry.

FWIW, I ran synthetic lubricants in my vehicles in the winter when I lived in Central Alberta due to their low pour point and high VI. Of course it got down to the -40s in temperature. Made sense there.
Thanks NS

BTW: Besides having twice lived in San Diego for over a year, traveled the country for several years, and currently living in San Francisco Bay area since 8/18/1984... I lived in NY for 18 years, Mid Maine for 6 years, 6,000 foot elevation in Sierra Nevada Mountains (60 miles from Tahoe) for 9 years. Owned - cars, PU trucks, snow mobiles, plow trucks, dump trucks, vans and other items with hydrocarbon fuel engines such as boats, motorcycles, and generators. I’ve run motors in + 115 F to - 35 F temps. Never used syn oil. Always able to start and run my engines with correct lube weights and coolant mix. Used block/oil warmers over night some times during real low temps.

Your mention: "The reason is $$$. It just doesn't make sense for most applications. Otherwise it would be used everywhere in industry."

Makes me want to ask... How could the relatively low additional overall expense of a better oil (i.e. syn oil) that seems to heads and tails outperform another oil (i.e. dino oil) ever stop most of the commercial industry from using the better synthetic oil. Syn oil's added expense should/would be far displaced by improved performance, reduced breakdown, and engine last ability. Sooo... seems to me that there must be another reason (a currently hidden reason??) why synthetic oils have not simply captured the oil market by a vast majority???

I'm trying to figure out if/why I should/might begin to use syn oil in my classic or newer gasoline engines.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote