Maybe this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For GG's location, this boat would be problematic. With a mast height of 70' and a draft of 7.5', she would be precluded from many areas on the East Coast, especially the ICW. The standard MLW fixed bridge height on the ICW is 65'. If she is planning on doing any extended East Coast cruising, she would be doing it on the outside for the most part. Plus, is addition to learning how to manage a 70' powerboat, she would also have to learn to sail!
Good points. This looks like a real sailboat then with sails that would be heavy and difficult to deal with. It would have been a lot better boat for her purposes if it had been rigged as a ketch with short masts and small sails, more of a motor type and less sail.

Good points. This looks like a real sailboat then with sails that would be heavy and difficult to deal with. It would have been a lot better boat for her purposes if it had been rigged as a ketch with short masts and small sails, more of a motor type and less sail.

Its not a Sailboat, its a typical Motorsailor, she will start to sail with 10 knots windspeed. But then you can shut down the engines and the real saving start. With 15 - 20 knots windspeed she will feel happy.

Without sails I will never cross an ocean.

Teak deck seems look compromised... especially in bow section.. Full survey needed throughout 43 yr old boat! Could low ball if desired and if accepted then spend much time and $$$$ on restoration??

Teak deck seems look compromised... especially in bow section.. Full survey needed throughout 43 yr old boat! Could low ball if desired and if accepted then spend much time and $$$$ on restoration??

The designer was Allan Mummery and the vessel was built at Nelson Shipyard, New Zealand and was completed and commissioned in 1990 -1991.

On my school they teached me that 2013 - 1991 = 22 yr old.

Its in my opinion not a "leaky teaky" on most steel/alu boats of that era teak decks are bedded in SikaFlex.

But who buy's a boat without a survey?

My G#d I have no interests in this f&k#ng boat.

The designer was Allan Mummery and the vessel was built at Nelson Shipyard, New Zealand and was completed and commissioned in 1990 -1991.

On my school they teached me that 2013 - 1991 = 22 yr old.

Its in my opinion not a "leaky teaky" on most steel/alu boats of that era teak decks are bedded in SikaFlex.

But who buy's a boat without a survey?

My G#d I have no interests in this f&k#ng boat.

Reizi - I tranposed the 70' for the 1990 year - woops! :facepalm:

However, in video, deck seams do look as they may be compromised. :eek:

The hull appears to be brought back to new condition. The strength is there. What it would cost to do a nice interior; though, is something I have no idea about. It might be that the boat even has a negative value, but what is the value of knowing what you have structurally? How good a survey can be done unless there is access to all structural parts of the boat?:trash:

For GG's location, this boat would be problematic. With a mast height of 70' and a draft of 7.5', she would be precluded from many areas on the East Coast, especially the ICW. The standard MLW fixed bridge height on the ICW is 65'. If she is planning on doing any extended East Coast cruising, she would be doing it on the outside for the most part. Plus, is addition to learning how to manage a 70' powerboat, she would also have to learn to sail!

Yeah, I agree, and I'm just not interested in sailing and to have all that extra equipment, but never use it, would be silly. Plus, the height restrictions.....

OMGoodness...The boats are getting longer and longer. 85' :eek:. You have a more faith in me than I have in me...:D

There's no way I want to re-build a boat, I have seen a couple of very tempting, serious ocean going trawlers, one in particular, that is almost complete, but I know nothing of boat construction.

serious ocean going trawlers :hide:

Please give the stability calculations, then we can judge if she is "Ocean Going"

1-Displacement :is the actual total weight
2-light weight :ship's hull, machinery and any fixed equipments.
3-dead weight : fuel,water ballast , fresh water , cargo,passenger and stores.
then
Displacement = Dead Wt + Light Wt
displacement can be calculated from Block coefficients at certain drafts from ship hydrostatic curves

Before these figures are know she is a Coastel vessel.

Last edited:
GG & Mom,

You know NOTHING about boats, you think on a Forum like this you can find the expertise to help you make your decision. NO Chance.

NO Naval Engineer/Architect will help you without a paycheck. I am a 30 yr experienced Naval Engineer, i just want to warn you. I NEVER want to work for you, because i need a client who know what he wants and have the money to do it.

Pls buy a nice house, it seems you not have the money needs to pay your dreams.

Rich people buying yachts your are looking for, have a team of advisors, a captain, an engineer and staff to run the boat.

Know your limits and find a nice house. This ends in a nightmare.

My 2 centavos.

PS. from now on I not respond anymore and wait how these dreams get on the rocks.

Last edited:
GG & Mom,

You know NOTHING about boats, you think on a Forum like this you can find the expertise to help you make your decision. NO Chance.

Know your limits and find a nice house. This ends in a nightmare..

Couldn't agree more!

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." This applies to women too! I think it's great to dream as long as you know your limitations but to plunge head long into something as complicated as crossing an ocean, without experienced experts along for the ride, is foolhardy. Try getting some experience in a much smaller vessel and then, when comfortable with coastal cruising, put a plan together for the trans ocean run. In the meantime, cross the Atlantic, vicariously, through other experienced voyagers.

The video below shows a USCG boat waiting patiently for the right sea condition to make port. This takes time to learn and one hell of a lot of practice!

Last edited:
Nice video Walt! Hits about a 9 1/2 on the pucker factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Dear GG and Meatsea, while the above could well be construed as sound advice, and given in good faith, I suspect it was probably a bit like a bucket of cold water over you heads, as I get the feeling you don't give up easily. I am also reminded of the time when back in 2010, right here in Queensland, a 16 year old girl, called Jessica Watson, made public she wanted to sail solo round the world, and all sorts of people tried to talk her out of it..even our own Prime Minister, largely because of her tender age and a real fear for her safety. But she did it anyway.
Jessica Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That being the case with you. I do feel that of all the boats you have put up lately, that De Fever 75 you linked earlier in this thread would be hard to beat for affordable ocean-going capability, as long as it passes survey well, and you added mods like handholds throughout large cabins, etc. View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
The advice re doing a lot of coastal stuff is good, and you have said you intend to do that. I think the time has come to start getting serious, and start surveying. We will all be interested to hear more when you are in a position to report. For now, I think many more open suggestions are merely going to muddy the water and confuse. You need to look at some of the real prospects in the flesh, so to speak.

serious ocean going trawlers :hide:

Please give the stability calculations, then we can judge if she is "Ocean Going"

1-Displacement :is the actual total weight
2-light weight :ship's hull, machinery and any fixed equipments.
3-dead weight : fuel,water ballast , fresh water , cargo,passenger and stores.
then
Displacement = Dead Wt + Light Wt
displacement can be calculated from Block coefficients at certain drafts from ship hydrostatic curves

Before these figures are know she is a Coastel vessel.

Ok, great, here is the document. Would love to hear what you think.

Attachments

• Lady Jane Stability survey 1 of 3.pdf
    299.9 KB · Views: 89
Couldn't agree more!

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." This applies to women too! I think it's great to dream as long as you know your limitations but to plunge head long into something as complicated as crossing an ocean, without experienced experts along for the ride, is foolhardy. Try getting some experience in a much smaller vessel and then, when comfortable with coastal cruising, put a plan together for the trans ocean run. In the meantime, cross the Atlantic, vicariously, through other experienced voyagers.

The video below shows a USCG boat waiting patiently for the right sea condition to make port. This takes time to learn and one hell of a lot of practice!

Depoe Bay, Oregon- Coast Guard - YouTube

I appreciate the sentiment, but just another friendly reminder to everyone that I am not planning to cross without several years of coastal training FIRST...and... even then it will be with an experienced captian and crew.

I do want a boat that is capable though, so when I am ready one day, I won't have to change boats. This is the way I want to do it.

If I am not welcome. I will leave.

I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.

I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.

No GG do not leave!

There is a certain element here that thinks your method of asking questions is disregarding their advice.

I can see what you are doing. You are learning, and learning well.

You post about a boat and then let people pick it to death, and you learn from our comments.

Then you post about another boat and do the same thing.

Some people here clearly do not like that method, but I do. How can you learn if you do not put out examples and learn from them?

You learned about the plusses and minuses of wooden boats that way. You've learned about Steel boats. You've learned about old boat systems, and what it takes to maintain them.

You just keep learning...You're doing just fine.

If some of the guys don't like that method, put them on your ignore list. It works for me.

Last edited:

I am the last one who say "please stop posting", I only say I will not respond anymore.

Still think you are better off buying a nice house then a +50 ft trawler.

My 2 centavos

Dear GG and/or Meme – I don’t think there is anyone on TF who actually wants you to leave this thread... ;)

It is obvious you both are adventurers and that you two gals wisely learn by asking questions; then by listening you discern what actions/routs to travel for best results toward realizing your intent(s). Please do understand that most here are old salts in the boating arena (me relatively so too) and much of what we learned was via years/decades of practical experience... “sea-trial” and error if you will - LOL. :whistling:

I believe the reason you are experiencing some push back on some posts is due to “Old Salts’ Anxiousness”... Wherein many here feel words are just that words... and it’s now time for you two to in person begin to bodily “go forth and conquer”, so to say! :thumb:

Anyway – After all is said and done in words and photos on this forum, or any other learning venue, there is really only one way for your gals to actually “Get the Feel of the Deal”, and, that is to get some in-dept hands on experience aboard boats... first, personally looking at boats with surveyors in tow... then going for sea trials with a Captain at helm and surveyor(s) aboard... then maybe commissioning a boat for extended cruise to really learn the ins and outs... than biting-the-bullet and chose the craft you actually purchase and want to make love tooooooo. Cause you will have an affair with your boat; it may be a love/hate relationship... and it could become strictly a hate relationship if you make a mistake in purchase... but only by hands on experience before any purchase can you have best chances to make it a love/love relationship. :flowers:

You’ve got years ahead of you “to learn the ropes” of boating. As always – Best Luck! - Art :D

GG, go to where the action is - join the Nordhavn Dreamers site where similar people such as you get into some interesting give and take on future ocean crossings and desired vessels.

My guess is you have run the course on TF with most not taking you too seriously as you lack experience, money and years behind the wheel. We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad.

Maybe you should buy a real nice small day cruiser boat for $20 k or so that could easily be resold when the "dream to yet be identified" big boat arrives. Take your friends out and enjoy the pride you'll get in showing them your skills and vessel. If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.

GG, go to where the action is - join the Nordhavn Dreamers site where similar people such as you get into some interesting give and take on future ocean crossings and desired vessels.

My guess is you have run the course on TF with most not taking you too seriously as you lack experience, money and years behind the wheel. We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad.

Maybe you should buy a real nice small day cruiser boat for $20 k or so that could easily be resold when the "dream to yet be identified" big boat arrives. Take your friends out and enjoy the pride you'll get in showing them your skills and vessel. If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.

Well put, sun! :thumb: Might I suggest a Tollycraft for GG's first boat! :D

If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.

Although there are some who "support the dream" on this site and their council seems to be "go for it", I wonder if they would take that stand with their own kids. Kids who have absolutely no experience in boats and have announced that are going to jump immediately into a big boat, learn to drive it and then continue across the pond. With no foundation (I know, you say that you are going to do all these things first.) to do so is (looking for a big boat first) is just plain getting the cart before the horse.

If you were to change your plans a little and start looking for an entry level trawler, I'll bet the advice here would be about 99% positive and supportive.

Last edited:
No GG do not leave!

There is a certain element here that thinks your method of asking questions is disregarding their advice.

I can see what you are doing. You are learning, and learning well.

You post about a boat and then let people pick it to death, and you learn from our comments.

Then you post about another boat and do the same thing.

Some people here clearly do not like that method, but I do. How can you learn if you do not put out examples and learn from them?

You learned about the plusses and minuses of wooden boats that way. You've learned about Steel boats. You've learned about old boat systems, and what it takes to maintain them.

You just keep learning...You're doing just fine.

If some of the guys don't like that method, put them on your ignore list. It works for me.

Thanks Kevin for the response.

I just wanted to add that every boat that I post is a boat that initially I believe could be a good fit. I would never just throw random boats out there. Baised on the feedback I get I either continue the research or scratch it off the list. This site is not the be all end all and I realize that I have to have a surveyor etc., but when 5 guys say a boat is crap, then there is a good chance that it might be. With the wooden Malahide, I would have loved to have bought that boat. It seemed almost perfect on paper, but after reading the comments and googling a bunch of stuff I decided that maybe I shouldn't start out with wood. It might be too much for me to handle. In regard to some of the steels, you guys pointed out some things just in photos that I wouldn't have picked up on until I flew out with a surveyor, saved me a trip. I have also heard the warnings about steel care, but I will still go for a steel boat, because I believe the steel care is something that I could learn and be able to stay on top of.
I would love to have a survey done and make an offer on a boat, but I am still trying to figure out what boat. I have seen a few Hats in person, but they weren't right for me.
I could and may fly to Florida and check out a bunch of random boats in April, but until then, I will continue to search for the right boat on the net.

My house will be sold soon, and I would be very happy to have my boat to move into. This is what is motivating me to keep looking every day at price drops and newly posted boats and this is why you will see my posts almost daily asking questions and advice on new finds. I really want to make a decision soon, so I am trying to be very diligent. I can rent an apartment until I find the boat, but I would prefer to have the boat right away, especially where we are just coming into good weather. It would give me the summer to sort out adding heat and whatever else needs sorting out before winter is back. I guess we'll see.

Your very right though. Every boat that you guys tear apart is a learning experience for me in the least, even if it means the boat is no good after all. I appreciate that.

GG The nay Sayers will tell you to abandon your dreams. They will tell you to give up, buy a house with a white picket fence and take up gardening.

Let me tell you my story, because the naysayers said I couldn't do it.

23 years ago I was a single parent and I had a dream. My dream was moving To Alaska, buying an airplane, buying a cabin in the woods, and living an adventure.

Well I'm here to tell you, I raised my son and nobody died, I owned a floatplane, logged a thousand hours behind the wheel, own a cabin in the woods, and shot a really nice bear on my porch step.

In 2003 the naysayers told me I was going to die bringing a Bayliner all the way from Washington to Seattle. Well I'm here to tell you they were wrong, I brought my first Bayliner to Alaska and I lived, and I've lived through lots of other adventures since then.

What I'm getting at, is the adventures in life are the ones we make, and if you let people tell you you cannot do it, if you believe them, then you will have led less of a life.

So as far as I'm concerned, you just go right ahead asking your questions, continue living your dream, and eventually you will of had a better life than the naysayers

Last edited:
Although there are some who "support the dream" on this site and their council seems to be "go for it", I wonder if they would take that stand with their own kids. Kids who have absolutely no experience in boats and have announced that are going to jump immediately into a big boat, learn to drive it and then continue across the pond. With no foundation (I know, you say that you are going to do all these things first.) to do so is (looking for a big boat first) is just plain getting the cart before the horse.

If you were to change your plans a little and start looking for an entry level trawler, I'll bet the advice here would be about 99% positive and supportive.

Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube

Walt,
I can appreciate your point. The reason that I need a big boat is because 85% of the time we will be docked at the marina as liveaboards. I want my family to be comfortable while living aboard at the dock. It won't take much for us, but a 20' boat certainly won't do it.

I want my family to be comfortable while living aboard at the dock..
OK! You've sold me....It's a really expensive way to go (A house would be appreciating during this time...) but if you want to live on the water, go for it!

Where's RTF & the Dutchman? I'm out of here. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom