View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #146
bfloyd4445
Guru

City: coos bay
that's bs! you can use syn in old engines. I have a vintage ford tractor which I switched to sny in 2003 when I bought her and since then I even drove it for a bit with no oil in the crankcase by accident. I had just changed the oil and my neighbor came over to ask a question 2006. I then went to work in the pasture until I noticed a red light on the dash. I thought, crap, I didn't put enough oil in so drove back to the farm a half mile away then added oil to have it run out on the ground. I had forgotten to tighten the drain plug and it had fallen out. I figured it was time for a rebuild but I decided to fill the crank case and see if she would run. She ran fine, and still runs fine, no smoke, same power. After this I now believe what I read about syn oil bonding to the metal so that cold starts do not cause the wear that they do with conventional oils.
I was a mobil 1 junky for years but now use amsoil. amsoil makes a marine diesel oil that should work great in your lehman AMSOIL SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
I use this in my 1975 ford 2000 tractor