Hadn't seen that before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
So I was boat shopping today and went on a domestically built boat from the late '70s. A few things caught my eye, twice (double take).

1. The king bed in the aft cabin had been raised so that a full size front loading home washer and drier pair were installed underneath. Note to self: Don't fall out of bed!

2. A Sears home trash compactor from the 1970s had been installed near the galley. I don't think I have ever seen one installed in a house much less a boat.

3. The 3 main areas of the boat had permanently installed electric strip base board heat. I guess that was to help maintain a 50%+ load on the generator.

I'm sure some of you must have stories of the um.......unusual things you seen installed on boats.

Ted

Greetings,
Saw one once with a car GPS mounted on the dash. Another with signal and stop lights on the transom so the boats following him knew where he was going and when he was stopping.

Hey now I must confess...my 45 has a trash compactor and I LOVE it. One of the biggest issues for a family of 4 anchoring out for extended periods of time is trash. The compactor is one of my favorite things as it makes anchoring for a long time with with our family much easier to deal with due to trash. :)

Last edited:
The sportfish back in the early eighties with 3-4 trash compactors in the galley and a full custon liner for the who V-berth section used to get the USCG's attention....:eek::D:D

+1 to Woodsong's comment about the trash compactor. We have one and use it for everything we have for trash except glass bottles because those don't compress. We end up emptying the built-in trash basket that's beneath the sink several times a day into the compactor and can go for at least a week before we have to empty the compactor bag.

When that bag is pulled out it's nice and neat, rectangular in shape, and quite heavy, but it definitely is holding a lot of trash.

psneeld, that must be some pretty good Jack Daniels you're pounding down. :)

psneeld, that must be some pretty good Jack Daniels you're pounding down. :)

What make you think that?

There's plenty of pretty weird stories of how smugglers adapted boats to meeet their needs....and I saw plenty of them!

Last edited:
I also have the trash compactor. Living aboard, I go 2 - 3 weeks before pulling the bag out. It's best not to throw food waste in it since it's gonna be smelling pretty bad with all that time in there. It also still has the original working galley foot pump and spigot (in addition to the modern faucet), and the boat came with a (still in the box) Crock Pot that was the same as the ones I gave everyone back in the 70's for wedding gifts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom