Pontoon or Barge for a TRUCK CAMPER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charles

Vessel Make
CHB 45 Pilot House
A nephew has purchased a high end truck camper that he mounted on a new Ford F 250 FWD. Subsequent to touring the western states he is interested in mounting ONLY the camper sans the truck, on a pontoon type vessel or barge type.
The camper weighs about 2,000 pounds. He would like to carry additional water and have larger black and grew water capacity than is contained in the camper.

His intended use is the Great Circle Cruise around the eastern US and Canada. (He and his wife are experienced travelers and he once spent a year crossing Africa and has limited ocean sailing experience.)
I have made the cruise but on a Trawler style. I lean toward a barge, aluminum with two smallish out board motors.

Any suggestions and foundation for them?

I'd try a place like The Pontoon Boat Manufacturing Factory, Wisconsin, USA - TMC, Inc. factory direct boats and have camper mounts and other features built into a proven model. They'll need to pick some good weather windows in a few spots but should have a unique adventure!

Dave
Nice...would steer them in that direction too...I would still adapt the bow section to take a little more wave action...but plenty of pontooners have done all or most of the loop.

I'll be searching for some more pontoon companies...

Another route is a almost totalled houseboat hull that can be redecked and a modest powerplant.

Dave, thanks for the tip.
By the way we spent 6 nights at anchor at Barnegat Light on the Great Circle Cruise.
It was COLD as we got caught in a late cold front. Made for and interesting exit out the pass when the winds layed a bit. As I mentioned waited 6 nights for that.
Passed a nice time none the less.

CCC

For a while one of the pontoon houseboat manufacturers in Sicamous, BC was selling a platform for exactly this purpose. The last time we were in Sicamous there were still a couple of these tied up along the channel. Three Buoys is the only name that comes to mind right now but Google and Sicamous will yield some phone numbers.

Not really... $75K is different than $9K.... and hey for $9K that is a lot more room than a cab-over camper

:)

Attachments

• Trailer Sailor.jpg
    Trailer Sailor.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 183

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom