Pet peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... As I've said before we are not social boaters. We did not get into boating to hang around with other boaters. So while we obviously have to share the water with others there's a lot we can do to avoid dealing with them. ...

Will I be able to avoid eye-contact before getting to my SUV? :rolleyes:

img_142775_0_089032a1da0f7356db670bbad5c083d4.jpg

Oh damn,Mark, that is some funny stuff!!!!

Oh damn,Mark, that is some funny stuff!!!!

Did ya get that boat ride in today John? Thought it was such a good idea reading that this morning that I took the rest of the week off.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

TF members="GET OFF MY LAWN!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't like it much either, but the water MAY be for quiet relaxation for some of you, it is a fun-time party for someone else. We have to respect that. Just because we have boats and get to a spot first, doesn't mean we own it. Sure, it's the courteous thing for them to find their own spot, but we all know that everyone can, or will, have the same experiences you do that expresses courtesy. Like it or not, we do have to share. :thumb::flowers::D

**Oh... And there is SOME good rap. Most is crap, but there is some that's pretty good.**

The ocean is a big place with plenty of room for those that wish to make noise so there is no reason to purposely do it next to others is there?

Will I be able to avoid eye-contact before getting to my SUV?

You have to acquire the same attitude I have, Mark. Eye contact with the people on the docks and in the parking lot is not a problem because they simply don't exist. If you have a dog it can be very helpful because the dog can teach you the art of looking straight through people in such a way that they'll know they're pond scum without you having to tell them.:)

A cat can teach you, too, but when they look through you it conveys something far more insulting.

Last edited:
Just making sure the irony is not lost here, but power boaters that don't like the sound of a running engine or have thousands posts at a community forum and say they aren't into the social aspect of boating? Am I missing something? :flowers::socool:;)

Just making sure the irony is not lost here, but power boaters that don't like the sound of a running engine or have thousands posts at a community forum and say they aren't into the social aspect of boating? Am I missing something? :flowers::socool:;)

No, the forum is entertainment pure and simple. It's not actual boating. Nor is it social interaction. It's just entertaining interactive typing practice. Big difference between an internet forum and real boating.

Maybe but I don't think he'd be much good at fetch.

I deal with people all over the planet every day at work. I enjoy it but when the work week's over I'm done with it. On weekends and during our time on the boat I don't want to deal with anyone other than a tiny handful of long-time boating friends. I'm not interested in meeting more boaters or talking to boaters or answering inane questions from dock walkers. Fortunately our slip is way out in the marina where few dock walkers ever venture so we see very few of them and the ones who insist on coming up and talking are easy enough to get rid of.

As I've said before we are not social boaters. We did not get into boating to hang around with other boaters. So while we obviously have to share the water with others there's a lot we can do to avoid dealing with them. Most of the places we like to go in the islands and BC are not frequented by crowds of other boaters, which is nice.

Which is why we are not fans of boaters who force their noise and exhaust fumes on everyone else around them.
Many things are much clearer now.

"Will I be able to avoid eye-contact before getting to my SUV? :rolleyes:" --markpierce

Funny stuff, Mark!! It's called social media for a reason.

I couldn't imagine boating for solitude alone. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy peace and solitude at times and the company of others as wel. If you don't want people fouling up your plans for floating loneliness, you could stay home in your bathtub and off all social media and accomplish that.

Give me pleasant, courteous folks who share common interests, pleasures and passions anyday!! There are plenty of them here. Sometimes you need to filter through the know-it-alls and social misfits to find them, but it's worth it.

My pet peeve is the couple that's in the next slip to starboard and their incessant love making at all hours of the night. Constant moaning sounds by the guy and the girl has a very high pitched voice. Moan, moan, screech, moan, moan, screech, all night long and then in the morning they both sit in their cockpit in their bathrobes like nothing ever happened! Another thing they do is tie their dock lines too tight so when their boat is rolling with all the action, it pulls on the floating finger that I am tied to and my boat starts rolling! I've talked to them about holding it down but this only serves to spur them on. I swear, some people are very rude!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Record their performance and play it back over your boats loudhailer all day long.
The only loudhailer I have on my boat is my sister in law.

Did ya get that boat ride in today John? Thought it was such a good idea reading that this morning that I took the rest of the week off.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

That I did. And the Irish girl came along.... I think it hit 90 around town today!!!

image-3406048774.jpg

Maybe she'll join my son and I this week for a couple boat rides? ;)

70's here this week. California has its fruits and nuts to be sure, but year round shirtsleeve boating is priceless.

California is beautiful for sure. I would love to do some boating out there. Catalina Island is on my list!!!

Another pet peeve here on TF is that when we click on a thread it frequently takes you to the next to the last page. I start reading and don't realize I'm not on the last page. I frequently unconsciously assume i'm on the last page and the post at the bottom is the last post. Then I make a post and find that there are 10 posts after the one i'm trying to respond to.

RTF wrote;

"Greetings,
Record their performance and play it back over your boats loudhailer all day long.

Just like "Mash". Walt just go buy one.

Last edited:
(not to get political about this... BUT)
I'm no constitutional attorney, but I think a little thing called the First Amendment gives it to them. :hide:

I wouldn't like it either, but I think, as long as they are not violating noise ordinances, they have the right to make noise and you have the right to move away if you don't like it.

Our previous slip neighbors were live aboards (and kinda rednecks). The woman insisted on playing that stupid "I'm A Bitch" song and "Friends In Low Places" at full-song on Sunday mornings while she cleaned the boat and showered... It irritated the Pure-T snot outta me... So we left. Problem solved.

We had that problem, so we installed two 100 watt receivers, 4 speaker out side, and played Christain that drowned them out. It do not take long for them to get the idea. :socool::whistling::D

We had that problem, so we installed two 100 watt receivers, 4 speaker out side, and played Christain that drowned them out. It do not take long for them to get the idea. :socool::whistling::D

You ain't gonna drown me out with a measly 200 watts!!!! :rofl: :thumb: :popcorn: :hide: :nonono:

Disclaimer: I am just messing with y'all. My sound system does rock but I am always considerate of the people anchored around me....even in the "loud" anchorages. I will confess to having flushed out my dock neighbor one night...but that was an "exceptional" incident...;)

My pet peeve is the couple that's in the next slip to starboard and their incessant love making at all hours of the night. Constant moaning sounds by the guy and the girl has a very high pitched voice. Moan, moan, screech, moan, moan, screech, all night long and then in the morning they both sit in their cockpit in their bathrobes like nothing ever happened! Another thing they do is tie their dock lines too tight so when their boat is rolling with all the action, it pulls on the floating finger that I am tied to and my boat starts rolling! I've talked to them about holding it down but this only serves to spur them on. I swear, some people are very rude!

This is the best post on this thread IMO - very funny.

:popcorn:

that's funny..:D...I love the sound of a well cared for engines purr. Being sociable has little connection with noisy inconsiderate neighbors on the water. I make noise but would never pull into an anchorage loaded with boats then proceed to play load music and whoop and holler without considering my neighbors first. Would you?. I think all of use are saying is we object to inconsiderate mariners.

My pet peeve is the couple that's in the next slip to starboard and their incessant love making at all hours of the night. ...

Reminds me of the real-life story about the libidinous Finnish couple who "did it" in a railroad car compartment in the middle of the night with other passengers present. (At least one passenger was awake/aware to write of the event.) ... And then there was the old lady aboard a Southern Pacific train on its way to San Francisco in the 1950s when the SP wasn't maintaining its passenger trains. Unable to find an operational women's toilet, she ventured into a men's only to find two guys ... She wrote a letter complaining to SP's management.

Reminds me of the real-life story about the libidinous Finnish couple who "did it" in a railroad car compartment in the middle of the night with other passengers present. (At least one passenger was awake/aware to write of the event.) ... And then there was the old lady aboard a Southern Pacific train on its way to San Francisco in the 1950s when the SP wasn't maintaining its passenger trains. Unable to find an operational women's toilet, she ventured into a men's only to find two guys ... She wrote a letter complaining to SP's management.

What was her complaint?..Two guys weren't enough?

"Reminds me of the real-life story about the libidinous Finnish couple who "did it" in a railroad car compartment in the middle of the night with other passengers present. (At least one passenger was awake/aware to write of the event.)"

Another markpierce post without pics? You're slipping Marcus!

Back
Top Bottom