Cape Dory 28-33

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midshipman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nord Havn
Vessel Make
Narrowing in on my search for a little floating peice-of-mind. Had hoped to find a really well cared for adequately equiped Cape Dory 28-33 flybridge, but not locked in to having a FB. Stay aboard for a weekend or a week...is it possible for around $40,000. I live near Charleston South Carolina. I looked at one near to home (Charleston-Broker-wasn't pretty).

Searching through TF threads I see little if any mention about Cape Dory's, and curious to know why not? What are your thoughts out there about this blue collar vessel?

For portability, is it posible to trailer a Cape Dory 28 myself? I had googled trailering Cape 28, and behold, a trailer company in North Carolina had a picture of "yes" a CD 28 sitting on a trailer pretty as you please, with a truck towing it.

Given the recent storms that caused so much damage to many boats perhapse there are availble trailers out there (for a reasonble price) that would be very adequate for this?

Any thoughts?

How about the Cape Dory 30 Motorsailor? Best of both worlds...I had a Cape Dory 30 Ketch liveaboard back in the early 80's...like living in a coffin.

Chatted with a guy in Charleston with a 30 Motorsailor...he loves it.

Just saw one for sale on the internet but don't remember where..probably pop up if you searched for it.

I really doubt you want to trailer a Cape Dory...heck I also had a 19' CD Typhoon and that was bad enough to trailer.

Cape Dory made their name in sailboats...not trawlers. You don't see them on here because they did not make that many power boats. The 28 is a good little boat...and I will emphasize LITTLE! They are small for their size. Can you trailer them???? Yes, you can trailer any boat. But a boat with a flybridge does not trailer well....so you have to "De-commission" the boat to trailer and then "re-commission" upon launching. I would imagine from keel to flybridge would be at least 12 feet if not more. I am quite fond of all of their boats as I have owned one one of their sailboats. Anyway, $40k might be a stretch for one in good condition.

If you like the looks of the Cape Dory 28, keep your eye open for an Ellis 28.

I retract my statement ref the price. I just did a search and saw numerous ones in the 40s that appeared to be in decent condition. I think they represent a great value at that price. Again, they are bit on the small side for their size but very decent boats and quite handsome.

Also search "Nauset" boats. I know they are related somehow but not sure how.

I own a CD 28 that is currently for sale. CD made about 50 of these in the 80s in various configuartions: flybridge, hardtop, canvas top.

I looked at trailering. She weighs at least 8,500 and maybe 9,000 lbs with fuel and some equipment. That take a three axle trailer and those are rare on the used market and about $10,000 new with full brakes. The all up trailering weight will be 11,000+ lbs and to do that safely needs a one ton dually pickup. Plus an over width permit.

David

I am learning some very good insight on trailering vs. not. Given all the added considerations and expenses seems one can spend more time on the water and perhapse less money not traielring.

I liked both the Nauset and Ellis...geez evertime I turn a corner another surprise.

How have you liked your 28 CD?

I think the Nauset 28 is actually a cape dory 30 hull. I looked at both the Cape dory 28 and the Nauset 28. The Nauset is definitely a much roomier boat. The Cape Dories with diesel power go around 60k. The Nauset I looked at 3 years ago was 75k. The broker I was working with at the time said that you had to watch for soft decks. Her Name is Annie at Gray and Gray Yachts. I believe she said she worked at Cape Dory some time ago. I used her as a buyers agent and she is very knowledgable.

The broker I was working with at the time said that you had to watch for soft decks. Her Name is Annie at Gray and Gray Yachts. I believe she said she worked at Cape Dory some time ago. I used her as a buyers agent and she is very knowledgable.

Annie has been our broker both buying and selling three times. Acquaintence of my wife from years ago. Can highly recommend her as a knowledgeable broker.

What can you tell me about insuring boats? BoatUS is expensive, probably for the right reasons? I have been a long time member of USAA and have used them before with boats, but now they hand you over to progressive, and they well, lets just leave it at that. Is there any middle ground? Any advice?

BoatUS isn't that much more expensive and when you compare coverages and service...they may not be as bad as you think...they at least have a good history in the business. Make sure you get the coverage you need and want...and then compare aplles to apples.

USAA was terrible when it came to Yacht policies...they called me back and apologized when they quoted me on my last boat....they were 4 times the price of who I went with and most others.

I'll vote for BoatUS too. I shopped 3 brokers and the quotes that landed in my email where so far apart I had to check and see if they where quoting the same boat.

In my case BoatUS was not only significantly cheaper, they also had FAR lower deductibles. Honestly the quotes where not even apples to oranges, more like apples to triangles.

Back
Top Bottom