View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Capthead
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I totally understand the reasons concerning cost vs. benefits on an already old engine. That is a very valid point. That was never my concern.

What I had was two engines in a 1966 GB that came from Boston through the ditch and to Marina Del Rey, CA. It had it's third set of hour meters and those stopped working soon after I bought it. The engines used a ton of oil and they leaked bad.

I used Delo 40 because people "in the know" said I needed that extra weight for old tired engines. When I put Delo in and used the boat for the first 50 hours it used 3 to 4 quarts. The next 50 hours the Delo just gave up and it was two quarts each round trip to Catalina. This was my Delo experience and I was complaining about it, not the cost because there are truck places that sold it for 4.50 per gallon bulk, but because my pans under the engines filled up with oil and it smoked bad.

I changed to Rotella 15W-30. Things got much better. Now the oil would last almost the entire 100 hours before breaking down. I dropped to about 6 quarts each engine between changes.

This is why I changed to synthetic. I wanted an oil that would clean out all the carbon that's stuck in the rings causing blow by, and stop the seals from leaking. Keep in mind, I use Mobil 1 and have in everything I own since 1977.

My first post tells the story. I have a boat that I think I can take cruising and not worry about the engines. I'm even thinking I might install a bypass filter and keep the oil in longer. It will last. That's proven scientifically.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote