A Cool Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THD

Guru
I was over at Salmon Bay Marine Center (Seattle) the other day and came across this wild looking thing. Certainly not a trawler but it did have twins! (2x1,900 hp MTUs I was told). As best as I could pace off, it was about 135 feet. A very tall boat sitting on those twin hulls. Did not have a builders name on it that I could see. Very stark black & white color scheme.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 116
A running shoe on steroids.

She's a beauty whatever her class.

Hey, guys, thanks for the id and info. I have to admit-she is pretty impressive tied to the dock! I would hate to be footing the fuel bill for her!

I understand that the owner of a yacht like this would not be overly concerned with fuel burn. Tad can you or someone else explain how to calculate hull speed on a catamaran design hull? Does it double the waterline length for that calculation? Strange and dumb question I'm sure but I've never understood it.

Tad can you or someone else explain how to calculate hull speed on a catamaran design hull? Strange and dumb question I'm sure but I've never understood it.

Me too!

Tad can you or someone else explain how to calculate hull speed on a catamaran design hull? Does it double the waterline length for that calculation?

With catamarans all bets are off.....

Most comparison formulas are only useful when comparing apples with apples. Though the same physical principals apply to catamarans and monohulls, different things are happening because the hull forms are so different. A mono hull may have a beam/length ratio of 3:1 or so, a catamaran demi-hull (one half the cat) may have a beam/length ratio of 10 or 12:1. We know that an important factor in resistance is the cross sectional area of any hull, and it's length. These are long and skinny.

Note from Vikings link that top speed is 29 knots and cruising speed 20 knots....but she's 132' long!

In fact things change so drastically once beam/length gets over 10:1, these hulls may not be planning at 29 knots....That is the boat is not lifting, but just sliding along through the water in displacement mode. There are big cats with displacement, semi-displacement, and planing hulls, and I'm not sure which this particular boat is.

You would not double the speed/length calculation for a catamaran unless the the hulls were joined end to end. As they are side by side and both must be pushed through the water the length of one hull applies.

Tad-thanks for that explanation-I have a hard time imagining that boat planning as she was, according to the hull markings, drawing less than 2 meters at the dock and with each hull as narrow as it is, there would not seem to be enough flat surface to plane. My guess is she must weigh something on the order of 85-100 tons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom