Boat stuck in the Caloosahatchee River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The part about "pull the boat off the ROCKS" made me cringe. It's mostly sand and mud in these parts (NC). Ugh.
Suprisingly, GRP does pretty well as long as there is no pounding or twisting.

It says the boat was caught by winds and pushed there. Interesting. It looks like a nice boat, but pretty wind hog-ish. I won't forget this when I'm cruising that area, probably next year.

Mistake people make in those parts is allowing for the effect of wind and cross current to the channel. You have to look backwards at the markers to make sure you are actually headed inside the channel, as boats will "crab" with the boat's nose pointed between the markers ahead, but not be in the channel itself. The so called and infamous for this phenomena "Miserable Mile" on the GICW is not far from where this accident took place.

Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had. Round about two to three boats a month get stuck in shallow water this time of year.You have to look backwards at the markers to make sure you are actually headed inside the channel Everything in this link is completely true!

It says the boat was caught by winds and pushed there. Interesting. It looks like a nice boat, but pretty wind hog-ish. I won't forget this when I'm cruising that area, probably next year.

Larry, the place to really look out is in the canal between Moorehaven and Clewiston. Much of it is cut out of rock. Kind of similar to the Rock Pile behine Myrtle Beach. Of course the shallowest part in the channel is coming out of Clewiston into the lake. That is cut out of rock also.

The alongshore channel in the Jaycee Park area makes a little jog. If one is not paying close attention, one will be on the wrong side of the maker and....crunch. If you contiue in the along shore channel heading south towards the Cape Coral bridge, you must turn left (east) to get out to the river. Again, this turn is another spot where it is easy to pass on the wrong side of the markers. Use those charts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom