Maybe this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding Tigress's fuel consumption, I would hate to halfway to Galapagos before discovering my calculations were off!! The problem as I see it is that there will be no real world experience with this vessel before setting off.

Greetings,
Ms. GG. Mr. westwinds raises valid concerns to which I will add one other. A steel hull is in need of regular zinc maintenance. More so than wood or FRP. You could be looking at a hefty expense to haul and re-zinc on a regular basis. I don't think this is a diver job. The boat has to be hauled. To my understanding the old zincs have to be ground off and new ones welded on. Just one more thing to add to the equation...

My 35-foot steel Coot has eleven zincs. They are spaced along the bottom of the hull as well as attached to the rudder and propeller shaft. They're screwed/bolted onto the hull, not welded. Thus, zincs are a minor cost.

img_141923_0_c992015cf1bf7084f8762affe5129c15.jpg

Regarding Tigress's fuel consumption, I would hate to halfway to Galapagos before discovering my calculations were off!! The problem as I see it is that there will be no real world experience with this vessel before setting off.

No, you run trials in the harbour over a measured mile.....everyone should do this. Disassemble the fuel system (if you don't have a day tank with return) and run feed and return lines into a plastic jug. Put fuel in the jug, mark the level, run a mile at fixed RPM, mark the level, calculate burn. Run two ways over the mile to correct for current and wind, average results. Make runs at every 100 RPM to create your own personal fuel use map.

Tad: Sounds a bit too theoretical for me. If you said 100 miles I might even begin to believe the results!!
Regarding welding zincs. I do not think that it is even possible to properly weld zinc blocks to steel.

I think its worse than the boats she been looking at. :banghead: Does not fit her basic requirement of being a live aboard for 6, the salon and staterooms are small, shippy stark. The boat is a AC electric power hog, and probable being built in Europe has the 240 European wiring again. The engine hours were not listed, old gardener engines, and parts/service might be hard to find. The helms access/location/visiblity is a concern. It will be a real bitch to dock the boat. Still does not have the range, water and holding tanks and no heat. Being steel has also been mentioned but the fuel tanks would be a big concern. :eek:The tanks are my biggest concern about the Eagle.

UNLESS GG has 500 grand cash/funds to drop in the boat. She might be able to get financing for the boat, but they do not finance for moving the boat, up grade/remodel that requires cash and time. Plus the total turn around cost and cash flow will be far more than buying a million plus boat.

If she is interested in steel, she should go back and look at the un finish steel in organ and finish/pimp out the interior for 200+ grand. I still like the 66 Choy Lee as it will make a great live aboard and has the basic/potential to cross oceans as windows, doors, hand holds, stabilization can be added later when/if needed.

You should already have liability insurance, weather you insure the boat or not.

My 35-foot steel Coot has eleven zincs. They are spaced along the bottom of the hull as well as attached to the rudder and propeller shaft. They're screwed/bolted onto the hull, not welded. Thus, zincs are a minor cost.

The latest solution is switching from zinc to aluminum anodes, significantly increasing time between haulouts. Crowley Maritime use aluminum on their 200 vessel fleet and go 3 years between haulouts.

Tad: Sounds a bit too theoretical for me. If you said 100 miles I might even begin to believe the results!!
Regarding welding zincs. I do not think that it is even possible to properly weld zinc blocks to steel.

It's a bit counter intuitive I guess. A longer run will decrease accuracy due the inability to measure consumption to the milliliter......notches on a dipstick don't account for tank shape, slop, changes in trim or heel, etc. If you are worried about sea state differences you go outside the harbour and mark out your mile at sea.

Zincs for steel boats come with a weld on steel strap cast into them. The strap can be drilled to use bolts as well.

Shipyards (not boatyards) that work on commercial boats get zincs that have cast-in steel straps. The steel straps are then welded on to the boat.

And what do they do with the old zincs they take off? Well, here's what they do at the shipyard I use: they cast prop zincs in place. Here are a few pictures, they use a very large coffee can (1 gallon?), with putty all round. They melt the zinc with a torch, then pour the molten zinc around the nut. Pretty cool. (by the way if you look carefully in the first pictures you can see the steel straps on the old zincs)

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Attachments

• IMG_5622_reduced.jpg
    IMG_5622_reduced.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5614_reduced.jpg
    IMG_5614_reduced.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Sewage Disposal

...Marine vacuum-flush toilets use about 1.5 pints per flush or about 3 times less so the tank would be good for 12 days.
Some marinas have boats that go around and pump holding tanks. Moving a 66 foot boat to a pump out every week or so could be a problem. Not sure how many marinas have sewers out to the boats. Need to check on where the boat will be kept to see what is available for sewage disposal.

She should let her kids pee off the side. It is all natural stuff. Keep the volume down!!! The oceans are rising, a little more will not make much difference. Plus what about all those Chinese pigs???

Greetings,
Ms. GG. Mr. westwinds raises valid concerns to which I will add one other. A steel hull is in need of regular zinc maintenance. More so than wood or FRP. You could be looking at a hefty expense to haul and re-zinc on a regular basis. I don't think this is a diver job. The boat has to be hauled. To my understanding the old zincs have to be ground off and new ones welded on. Just one more thing to add to the equation...

RTF,
I was budgeting for a once a year haul-out for bottom paint. Do you think the zincs would have to be done more than once a year?

I was budgeting for a once a year haul-out for bottom paint. Do you think the zincs would have to be done more than once a year?

Just out of curiosity, what are you budgeting for that?

And btw you can probably get away with hauling every three years if you are in colder waters.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

My main concern is that the listing does not mention stabilizers or thrusters, both of which would be on my must have list. I had complete a trip and dock single handed in an emergency once and I vowed I'd by boat would be configured for single hand operation. I think I could single hand Tigress if she had hydraulic bow and stern thrusters.

This was one of the questions I asked the broker.

I think its worse than the boats she been looking at. :banghead: Does not fit her basic requirement of being a live aboard for 6, the salon and staterooms are small, shippy stark. The boat is a AC electric power hog, and probable being built in Europe has the 240 European wiring again. The engine hours were not listed, old gardener engines, and parts/service might be hard to find. The helms access/location/visiblity is a concern. It will be a real bitch to dock the boat. Still does not have the range, water and holding tanks and no heat. Being steel has also been mentioned but the fuel tanks would be a big concern. :eek:The tanks are my biggest concern about the Eagle.

UNLESS GG has 500 grand cash/funds to drop in the boat. She might be able to get financing for the boat, but they do not finance for moving the boat, up grade/remodel that requires cash and time. Plus the total turn around cost and cash flow will be far more than buying a million plus boat.

If she is interested in steel, she should go back and look at the un finish steel in organ and finish/pimp out the interior for 200+ grand. I still like the 66 Choy Lee as it will make a great live aboard and has the basic/potential to cross oceans as windows, doors, hand holds, stabilization can be added later when/if needed.

You should already have liability insurance, weather you insure the boat or not.

I will have full coverage for sure and maximum liability. Insurance shouldn't be a problem. I have already spoken to several insurance companies.

I agree it is shippy. I can make some fairly minor adjustements to the cabins and heads and they will be fine. I do think there is enough space for everyone to have their own nook. The saloon is much smaller than I would have prefered, but I can be fine with it. The galley I would probably have to gut.

That was an interesting post. He suggested that steel boats have a shelf live of 15 years. Well, this boat is waaaayyyy past that. So, would this make her a rust bucket? There are so many older steel boats still out there. Maybe it all depends on their level of care through the years? One guy says 15 years and the next guy says it will outlast you...hmmm

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your heart is set on a steel boat, get this one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/Sutton---DeFever-Pilothouse-2476696/Emeryville/United-States

It's been a few years since I was on it, but the condition then was truly flawless. Plus, it has a layout that can't be beat. 5 real, good sized cabins. And to top it off the owner is meticulous. It was originally build for Harry See of See's Candies.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Some marinas have boats that go around and pump holding tanks. Moving a 66 foot boat to a pump out every week or so could be a problem. Not sure how many marinas have sewers out to the boats. Need to check on where the boat will be kept to see what is available for sewage disposal.

Pumping isn't a problem at the marina. They are installing a pump at every slip. Even if they don't do it, there is a pump at every dock that reaches.

Just out of curiosity, what are you budgeting for that?

And btw you can probably get away with hauling every three years if you are in colder waters.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

New England waters are pretty cold most of the year. Even with steel can you get away with 3 years or would that be for glass?

I was figuring around 6-8k for a haul out and paint.

Greetings,

If the zincs are going that fast, this might be caused by a hot marina (electrically hot). I would put in an isolation transformer. GG is probably going to convert 60 hertz 115 volt to 50 hertz 230 volts. The converter has a built in isolation transformer so we shall see if zinc replacement is a problem.

If the zincs are going that fast, this might be caused by a hot marina (electrically hot). I would put in an isolation transformer. GG is probably going to convert 60 hertz 115 volt to 50 hertz 230 volts. The converter has a built in isolation transformer so we shall see if zinc replacement is a problem.

How often do zincs normally get replaced?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your heart is set on a steel boat, get this one:
1967 Sutton / DeFever Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It's been a few years since I was on it, but the condition then was truly flawless. Plus, it has a layout that can't be beat. 5 real, good sized cabins. And to top it off the owner is meticulous. It was originally build for Harry See of See's Candies.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

This is the boat that my mom loves. She has been watching it for a while now.

You won't find a better boat. This is a sister ship to mine, but this one is steel and mine is wood. It is in incredible condition, literally spotless. I'm sure the owner has spent several million on her. I'd be completely comfortable flying in, filling the tanks, and taking off in her.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

You won't find a better boat. This is a sister ship to mine, but this one is steel and mine is wood. It is in incredible condition, literally spotless. I'm sure the owner has spent several million on her. I'd be completely comfortable flying in, filling the tanks, and taking off in her.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Clearly it is a gorgeous boat. Only thing, it is more than I wanted to spend and it looks more like a coastal boat. I feel like the bow isn't high enough and the sides of the hull seem to close to the water for ocean crossing. I feel like it is more like a fishing boat. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is the first boat on this thread that I really like! it sure meets your requirements! :thumb:

Maybe your right, but I had spoken to a couple boat yards here in NE and that was the price they gave me.

Here's a little tip: yards ALWAYS underbid. But once the boat is up on the ways, well, they have a little saying: "no cash, no splash".

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom