Hello from Long Island NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter picked this little puppy up from a rescue last fall. Just the best natured dog you ever could have. Mastiff named Joey with my grandson Ethan.

Attachments

• gjiud (Medium).jpg
    gjiud (Medium).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 91
Hi Alan,

It looks as if they they get on well together!.

Robbie

Just got a Present 42. Different winter on a boat ! Any suggestions on getting my dog (lab) on the boat when at anchor? We have a swim platform and a 4 step ladder up to the sundeck.

Hi Chris and Roger, we also have a lab of 80 pounds and a sun deck trawler. We have tried

1. He jumping from the tender onto the side of the boat with help. Awkward but so far the best.
2. Lifting his wet 80 pounds with his flotation aid. Heavy- Add 10 pounds for water. The flotation doesn't last long.
3. Chest-hugging/carrying him up the ladder from the swim platform. Dangerous - as he squirms quite a bit.

We might get a lifting harness. He needs no flotation, but the jacket is bright orange and he can be seen while he's mimicking otters.

How do you like your Present 42? We almost bought one before we got Sand Castle. Came THAT close. Still look on in admiration at them.

Attachments

• image-3841438243.jpg
    image-3841438243.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 83
I just wish that more people would visit the dog pound rather than buying from a so called breeder, well done guys.

My main rescue activities are horses, I had 7 of them last year all saved from slaughter, I managed to find good homes for all of them.

Robbie

Got our big boy from the SPCA - just had to get him to stare mama into submission before she finally agreed...

Attachments

• image-1980093419.jpg
    image-1980093419.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 84
Hi Ben,
Beautiful dog. Seems we have common problem and very similar boats! I thought about the chest lift up the 4 stairs to the sun deck, could work in a pinch, but not getting any younger and I have back issues. I think the best solution would be to put an additional small davit off the transom, we have a davit crane on top. Probably get a rib for the top for fishing and inflatable for the kids and small stuff. The other idea I had was a ramp but I don't think it would make the height and stability would be an issue. Orvis seems to have the best looking lifting vest for our type of dog. How old is your dog, M or f ?

Chris

Hi Chris - Marley is a 7 year old male. Absolute water addict. Whines like crazy when we drop anchor. Sometimes just jumps in anyway before all set on the chain completely.

This is where I kick myself. The Present 42 we looked at had a tender crane and an awesome tender to go with. Our MT does not and would take quite a bit of drilling/ cutting to put one in. When we bought, our logic was to learn on the most economical boat possible, also easiest to handle. Love our boat passionately, but loved the Present 42 because of its beam and room. (You didn't buy yours in 2010 in Maryland by any chance?)

I'd be cranking our big dog up today with that boat. So we're making our list for the boat of the future...

Good luck with your Golden. I completely understand about the back issues, the big dog toting Olympics is no easy event!

Got our big boy from the SPCA - just had to get him to stare mama into submission before she finally agreed...

Hi Ben,
Just look at that face, how could she have refused him?, good job, he's a lucky boy!.

When I got my "fat boy" home he totally ignored my yellow lab which was my main concern, they have become best of friends and go to the forest together every morning to check if the local coyote pack have been through during the night.
I've had to ban him from climbing on the sofa with me for some attention, he tends to knock the wind right out of me.

Robbie.

Lab Pictures

Thought you might like these

Attachments

• Fun day but not for the birds.jpg
    Fun day but not for the birds.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Beau on boat.jpg
    Beau on boat.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 84
Hi Ben,
Just look at that face, how could she have refused him?, good job, he's a lucky boy!.

When I got my "fat boy" home he totally ignored my yellow lab which was my main concern, they have become best of friends and go to the forest together every morning to check if the local coyote pack have been through during the night.
I've had to ban him from climbing on the sofa with me for some attention, he tends to knock the wind right out of me.

Robbie.

Hi Robbie - She couldn't.

He just walked over to her, sat down and looked up. All calm and everything like from the script. She is not generally a big dog fan, but Marley is really calm and as a pup, he was a good sleeper and listener. He trained fast. He's headstrong. When he wants to play he either pulls socks out of the hamper or trash out of the can. He seeks the negative attention because we just scold him a little and take the object away. But he's got us trained that way.

Thought you might like these

Wow - he's awesome. Hunting and everything. Our guy just explores. We've not taken him hunting, but he'd love it if we did. Mostly he swims and scouts a lot. Loves to ride in the tender.

Back
Top Bottom