Opinion on Line Cutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So does anyone have experience with line cutters on your shafts? One time use?

In the PNW I am told they are cheap insurance with all the crab pots out there.

What do you think?:confused:

Greetings,
Interesting question. I have considered line cutters. The sounds I frequent are prime crabbing areas but so far I have been fortunate and able to avoid entanglement. I will admit there is a bit of a pucker factor when I espy a float 6' off the bow that I failed to spot. Maybe it'll only take once and my mind will be made up.

Have had them on our last boat and current boat. Humongous amounts of lobster buoys around here neccesitate them. Cutters have saved our bacon a couple of times and not a couple of times. Not a panacea but definitely better than not having them. Putting on a prop cage this season. (Note to self: With cage on do not back down in presence of lines in the water).

Line cutters? We ain't got no line cutters... we don't need no stinkin' line cutters!

DSC_0260.JPG

My boat came withthe "shaft shark" rotary cutter that mounts around the shaft and looks like a very sharp circular saw. Shaftshark
I guess there is no way to really know if they work or not. I have cruised along Florida's Gulf Coast which has lots of trab floats several times and never had one cause us a problem (yet). Either it worked or we didn't just get too closeto one.

I guess there is no way to really know if they work or not. I have cruised along Florida's Gulf Coast which has lots of crab floats several times and never had one cause us a problem (yet). Either it worked or we didn't just get too close to one.

We installed them on our boat and have had the same experience as Steve when we travelled down the Atlantic Coast.

I have shaft sharks as well. We travel all night along the Mexican coast and the multitude of fish nets no longer stop us for some unscheduled midnight divng to cut the crap off of our props. Best investment I have made in a while.

I installed Spurs when the boat was built 20+ years ago. I know I've hit one line that they cut. I feel better having them there.

I installed Spurs on my ex boat after getting a lobster trap line wrapped around the prop (caugth one the was sunken). I know they cut at least 3 lines during the 12+ years I had them on. There is usually an audible "thunk" when the line is cut and the bouy hits the hull.
I also installed a cutter on my current boat when I bought it. As far as I can tell that one has never been tested on a line. But with all the weeds I encountered in Canada last summer I'm betting it cut some of them.

Joking aside, I have them on The List. I have picked up various lines a few times and have been lucky to have sensed it in time and shake them off by judicious use of reverse (remnants of one incident shown in pic). Did have to have a diver remove a big wad of polypropelene we picked up somewhere coming into Daytona, we were lucky not to have had a bigger problem.

I know divers don't like them. For instance, Jeff Seigal of Active Captain fame once told me that he used to provide diving services in Maine, and that he had had to disentangle many a lobster pot line from a cutter-equipped boat. Other divers have said they make cleaning the props and shafts more difficult and dangerous. Perhaps also lurking in there is that cutters may be bad for business but most divers I know aren't that way.

Still, I'd feel a little better with than without, although I have (barely) gotten away without them for almost six years of cruising in waters rife with pot and net lines. My autopilot has the uncanny ability to raise previously-unseen floats directly in front of us every time I set a new course.

George brings up a good point, Be sure to always let a diver know cutters are there before having work or hull cleaning done.

Does anyone have a source for prop cages? I'd rather not go with cutters or spurs but a prop cage makes sense to me.

Does anyone have a source for prop cages? I'd rather not go with cutters or spurs but a prop cage makes sense to me.

Any good marine metal fabricator should be able to make one up after measuring up your boat. At least that's the way it's done around here and that's what we are having done right now.

Any good marine metal fabricator should be able to make one up after measuring up your boat. At least that's the way it's done around here and that's what we are having done right now.
I sure understand why you would want a cage in Lobster country but out here in kelp land, couldn't the cage be covered with kelp, thus limiting the water flow to the prop? :confused:

We have line cutters on our 45....don't know if they work or not...not knowingly run over any lines thus far thankfully! :)

I have a serrated edge line cutter on my Krogen, and it has worked at least twice. Like someone else said, if they are working, you may never know. I have a test report that's very informative comparing the various types. Among the fixed blade types, the plain knife edge worked better than the serrated, and spurs and the gator both worked very well. I'll send the report to anyone who would like a copy. It's a 1.5 meg .pdf that's too large to attach here.

line cutters

We've had Spurs on our GB46CL for about 6 years. Have had 3 'encounters' (all unintentional); once with errant dock line, 3/4", and twice with crab pots. All 3 occasions they performed well and no damage.

Whatever type you choose, it's important to have them checked whenever the boat is hauled. They do need periodic maintenance.

Quite a dilemma trying to decide if they are worth it or not. I've been boating 50+ years; only once picked up a line, and then it was my own line I didn't see when momentarily throwing her into reverse. I was able to shut off the engine quickly, and the cost was $75 for a diver, replacing the line, and the damage to my skipper's pride. That was on a boat after a prior twin engine job which had spurs, although I never knew if they did me any good.
I do know I spent about a boat buck to purchase and have them installed.
If you are so unfortunate as to pick up a line far from home in deteriorating weather conditions, however; it might be worth every cent. Tough call. I'm not giving any advice here. Just wanted to say I appreciate others experiences and opinions on the subject.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom