Azimuth 1000 Compass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I use to have one of these on my old boat and loved it! Easy to calibrate, stable and a display that you understand at a glance.

Does anyone else have one, and if so, what do you think of it?

Attachments

• Azimuth 1000.jpg
    Azimuth 1000.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Write up.png
    Write up.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 104
It sounds like an earlier version of today's satellite compasses? I never understood the sat compasses until recently, but now I get it. Super accurate and stable heading.

Greetings; Had one on a steel 36 footer for over twenty years. Great in everyway. Bill.

I've had a couple

They are good units and can be used for heading compass's for auto pilots and Radar.

There was one installed on my boat (flybridge) when I bought it, but I guess the PO hadn't kept it covered it all the time, and it worked intermittently and then soon failed completely, likely due to water intrusion. I investigated possible repair, but was told it couldn't be done. I replaced it with a traditional magnetic compass.

I have one on my flybridge- it's a great compass.

The boat had one installed when we bought it; that one failed (age) & was replaced with a magnetic compass. A month later I put a new 1000 in its place. Much easier to read when things get rough. Also easier for aging eyes to read. Great unit

There was one installed on my boat (flybridge) when I bought it, but I guess the PO hadn't kept it covered it all the time, and it worked intermittently and then soon failed completely, likely due to water intrusion. I investigated possible repair, but was told it couldn't be done. I replaced it with a traditional magnetic compass.

I did consider another Azimuth 1000, but they're pretty pricey, about $680 when I checked Defender... and my mag compass on the bridge is a backup. I have chartplotters at both helm stations and another mag compass below, so the replacement (I think I paid $100 or so) probably wasn't all that necessary, but I had to stick something in that hole in the dash....:eek::eek:. We who rarely get out of sight of land and mostly travel the ICW are pretty much VFR all the time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom