Long Island NY Liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERJpilot

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Californian 30
Hey folks,

I've been living on board my 30ft Californian for 2 years now down on the Gulf coast, but some job opportunities may be presenting themselves up in the NY/NJ area.

I was just curious if anyone has a recommendation for marinas on Long Island. I know the 30ft boat may be a problem with some marinas requiring 35 or 40 ft boats for people living aboard, so a different boat may be something in the cards. Plus I'm sure there would be some required upgrades for living on this boat in a much colder climate as well.

For instance, any marinas with somewhat nearby access to trains to get to the airport? Somewhere in between NYC and Coram NY would be ideal.

Hi, we are at Manhasset Bay Marina on the north shore of LI. Port Washington LIRR nearby but not walking distance. Full service year marina has a nice community of liveaboards and even allows pets. Not many areas that allow liveaboads year round on LI north shore. Wouldnt want to be on the south shore. About 40 min to Laguardia.

Thanks for the info..

I may be flying out of any of the three major airports, it's undetermined which at the moment. However the gf may be getting a job in Coram NY so that's why I was looking for something that is somewhat in between.

There is a marina located with-in walking distance on LGA off the corner of runway 31. Are you looking at JFK, LGA an EWR ? R-U Corp.or commuter pilot. ?

I lived at what then was called the Worlds Fair Marina. for a couple of winters.

It is in an open sewer so summer dockage would be very aroma filled.

Yes you can walk to the terminal at LGA if required.

It is also very noisy in the summer ,with hot and heavy takeoffs.

Winter , not so bad.

Publik transport to EWR is easy , #7 train to Port Authority then bus.

JFK not easy at all, tho a coach might run from LGA to JFK at times.

Last edited:
Well currently I would have the option of working out of Newark, but in the future who knows. It would most likely always be an option to work out of at least one of the three major airports in the area.

Any ideas for farther east on the north shore of Long Island? I talked to someone at a marina in Port Jeff and he mentioned a 10-12 year waiting list for a slip there...

New Rochelle is very protected and I have spent lots of winters there .

There is a city marina and private marinas. Try Imperial or Wright Island.

18 Min to LGA worker parking , no traffic off peak hours.

I was a liveaboard in West Sayville at the boat basin for a few years. Great location just outside of town and Montauk highway. Owner was VERY nice and accommodating for me.

Well if you are working Newark, why not stay on the Jersey side, look at south of Hoboken NJ, Liberty Marina and others, might want to search activecaptain.com for phone numbers and call. One other thought would be the Freeport Long Island area, cheaper and relatively easy to Babylon line of the Rail Road and air train to JFK.

I was based at TEB from 1966 till I retired in 2011. The tolls and the Cross Bronx Expressway will take all your fuel money and destroy your car. Stay on the New Jersey. If you base out of EWR there are lots of marinas around Raritan bay area. Plus NY will come looking to tax your boat.

Yeah those NY taxes are brutal. And the toll roads I have discovered are outrageous. I guess I'm just really used to living in the south and how cheap it is down there.

I have been working like crazy since I have been based in EWR since March. Unfortunately I have had very little time off that I didn't travel back to my boat in TX or go see friends and family. Hopefully I will get some time to explore the NJ and NY area for some liveaboard marinas sometime later this summer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom