I need a boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really liked the name SNAFU MARU, from an old military phrase (Situation Normal, All F @#($&#* Up). It reminded me to not take myself too seriously. But reason and propriety won out. Named my second love after the first, the Lady J. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Had a guy in my old marina that named his boat FUBAR," f#####d up beyond all recognition". He had to explain it 100 times a day. .

A couple in our marina had a boat with that name. They eventually became to ill to boat and sold it. The new owners changed the name and eventually moved to a different marina.

My 54' Mediterranean Sport Fisher was christened "Bank Shot". When people walked by and looked at the name, questions arose as to what that meant. Was it a bank shot in basket ball? A bank shot in hockey? Did I break the bank when I bought it? A billiards bank shot or either the 9 or 12 mile bank off Pt. Loma for fishing?

All were correct as I am a hopeless sports addict and a fisherman as well.

Attachments

• Bank Shot.jpg
    Bank Shot.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 86
Had a guy in my old marina that named his boat FUBAR," f#####d up beyond all recognition".
Reminds me of "WOFTAM",the name of an accountant`s tough little Jubilee racing sailboat kept at Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron. No one complained. (Waste of Fu---ng Time and Money). Since seen on other boats.
Reminds me of the (? mythical) interview question "What`s it like racing a sailboat/yacht?" Answer:"Like taking a cold shower while tearing up $100 bills".

"What`s it like racing a sailboat/yacht?" Answer:"Like taking a cold shower while tearing up $100 bills".

Superb, Bruce.. Really good.....and so appropriate.:thumb:

Reminds me of the (? mythical) interview question "What`s it like racing a sailboat/yacht?" Answer:"Like taking a cold shower while tearing up $100 bills".

Heard that line many decades ago. It should be updated to "... while writing checks in multiples of $1000" (being $1000 bills are no longer in circulation).

Last edited:
I think the name " Knock Knock " is a unique name..

Captain hailing bridge: "Bridgetender, would you open the bridge for us please?"

Bridgetender: "Certainly captain, what is the name of your Vessel?"

Captain: "Knock Knock"

Bridgetender: "hmmm okay Who's there?"

Greetings,
Mr. OB. If you had named your boat "Rum Runner from St. Pierre" I guarantee you would NEVER have to wait for ANY bridge in Nfld./Labrador. Wink, wink....

The name of your boat carries alot of significance. As a retired Sheriff I see some names on the back of some boats and their owners probably wonder why they are contacted by law enforcement more than other boats (i.e. Party House, Girl Grabber, Pussy ---------, etc).
When we named our last boat my wife and I were shopping all over the east coast and were walking a dock one day and said to each other at about the same time. It sure would take two of us to work this boat. Hence the name "Takes Two" has been our name of choice except for this little boat we are currently selling. But our new boat has already been recorded with our "Takes Two" name.
Also in years gone by when I trained alot of police dogs it was important to name a dog with a two syllable name. The dog recognizes it no matter the tone and the name was not easily screwed up under stressful situations - you can see the analogy with boats and the USCG.
Either way have a name you are never embarrassed to announce over the air and carries significance.

Either way have a name you are never embarrassed to announce over the air and carries significance.

I guess MONKEY BUSINESS II is out then?

I really liked the name SNAFU MARU, from an old military phrase (Situation Normal, All F @#($&#* Up). .............

What does a name like that or "FUBAR" say about your boat?

I suppose it would be fine for an old POS boat, but on a new or well maintained boat?

Heard that line many decades ago. It should be updated to "... while writing checks in multiples of $1000" (being $1000 bills are no longer in circulation).

We call those "boat units".

You might use Domina which is Latin for mistress.

I like Trixie which could be short for Beatrix, Beatrice or Dominatrix.

If the boat is financed you could go with IO or IO-IO for redundancy.

.....from some local boats

Xanax

Afishyanado

Putzin

Who is JOHN GALT? (on a large Marquis motor yacht)

Row vs Wade (on a dink)

Last edited:
Well don't use "Therapist"
About 5 years ago I saw a nice 50+ foot boat with "Therapist" on the transom. I was walking the dock and the owner was sitting on the aft deck with a nice drink in his hand. I had a beer in mine and recalled a funny skit on Saturday Night Live.
I said, "the Rapist", that's an interesting name."
He quickly replied, "what's that?"
I said back, with a smirk on my face "The rapist, that's an unusual boat name"
He quickly replied "It's THERAPIST"
I tilted my head, like I couldn't see it, pointed at it, and said " hmm"
He got out of his chair, off the boat and came and stood next to me. There was a very slight gap between the "E" and the "R" but I was just giving him a hard time. He called for his wife to come out and his feathers were quickly ruffled. When she came out he said "i've never noticed this before, but this guy thought our boat was called The Rapist".

I then, let them know about the skit, and he nervously laughed. I made it clear I was just ribbin' him and it looked fine. I can see how the boat is a therapist, but would never name it that because of this skit.

He seeemed to take it in stride, but when I walked up the dock the next morning his boat name had been removed. It was easily an 8' wide beautifully made transom vinyl cut sign. He had stayed up overnight to remove it.
I went to apologize and tell him it was simply a joke. He understood, but figured others may look at it that way too. I felt awful.

Here's the skit on SNL.
Therapist - YouTube

A friend had a 50ft ketch called Xanthippe. Xanthippe was the wife of Socrates, so the dinghy was named Socrates.
Another sailboat was called Fidelia, it means loyalty.
Staying in classical mode, pretentious name for a dog Phideaux, pronounced Fido.

Last edited:
K Dock boat names and home ports

For lunch, ate leftover pizza reheated in the Coot's oven today, accompanied by fresh-lemon-juice margaritas. While Perla took a nap, I made a survey of boat names and their home ports on K dock wherever possible. About a fourth of the boats had no names or they weren't visible from the dock.

Predator, SF CA, charter fishing motorboat
Sea Sea Writer, no port, motor boat
Starlight, Alameda CA, sloop
Ritzy, San Francisco CA, sloop
Copacetic, no port, sloop
Marsh Duck, Sequim WA, sloop
Bella Rose, no port, sloop
Just Dreaming, Santa Rosa CA, motorboat
Geanna, Honolulu, sloop
Sweet Lorraina, no port, motorboat
Morning Star, Bodega Bay CA, cutter
Carquinez Coot, Vallejo CA, motorboat
Bella Luna, Alameda, sloop
Mahalo Moi, San Francisco CA, motorboat
Solitude, Marina Del Rey, sloop
Party Animal, Petaluma CA sloop
Quiet Moon, Isleton CA, ketch
Mary Margaret, San Francisco CA, sloop
Hale Helullan, Vallejo CA, sloop
Dee Luxe Too, Petaluma CA, motorboat
Resolution, San Francisco, ketch
K361, Point Richmond Calif, sloop
Banjo, Concord CA, sloop
Finally, San Francisco CA, sloop
Loonitude, Grass Valley CA sloop
Forever Amber, no port, sloop
Blind Luck, Kihei HI, trimaran ketch
Diva, Bodega Bay CA, motorboat
Foxes R Us, Vacaville CA, motorboat
Satin Sheets, San Francisco CA, ketch
Lauren Marie, Vallejo CA, motorboat
Got Bier, Vallejo CA, motorboat
Victory, Victoria BC, ketch motorsailer
Tehani, no port, motorboat
Sovereignty, Burlington WA, motorboat
Desiderata, Ventura CA, ketch
Boundless, San Francisco CA, ketch
Tiger Paws IV, San Francisco CA, motorboat
French Twist, Sausalito, motorboat
Ebb Tide, Sausalito CA, sloop
Wiebaden, Napa CA, motorboat
Vision, San Francisco, sloop

At least three of the boats have home "ports" not having navigable waters, and only four (a very small fraction) had home ports of "Vallejo" while residing in Vallejo.

Last edited:
A friend had a 50ft ketch called Xanthippe. Xanthippe was the wife of Socrates, so the dinghy was named Socrates.
Another sailboat was called Fidelia, it means loyalty.
Staying in classical mode, pretentious name for a dog Phideaux, pronounced Fido.

Again, names that will be a PITA when you have to call a bridge tender or marina.

Back
Top Bottom