Hello from Long Island NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris and Roger

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sweet Chariot
Vessel Make
Present 42
Just got a Present 42. Different winter on a boat ! Any suggestions on getting my dog (lab) on the boat when at anchor? We have a swim platform and a 4 step ladder up to the sundeck.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and watch out for RTF. He has a strange sense of humor.
I once was sitting at the top of a six foot aluminum step ladder trimming a tree. The neighbors Lab climbed the ladder and got in my lap! I bet your dog won't have any trouble going from the swim platform up the ladder.

Thanks got that impression. Hope the 85lb 8 yo will take to the training. Maybe I can use the davit with some type of harness.

Greetings,
Hmmm......difficult call. When we decided to buy a life preserver for Cruiser (Redbone Coonhound 55lb.) one of the criteria was to be able to lift him up by the handle on the back of the jacket and have him remain level. If you haven't got one already, maybe this may be a "harness" option.
Amazon.com: dog life preservers
Given the intelligence/trainability of Labs it probably would be fairly easy to ladder train but what about when it gets older? 85 lbs. won't get any lighter so, indeed, the davit approach could be the best. Get the dog used to it now so when he/she gets less agile it will be old hat.
The LAST thing you want to do is traumatize the dog or injure him/her if something slips and not knowing exactly what you have to work with that's all I can offer.
Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Hmmm......difficult call. When we decided to buy a life preserver for Cruiser (Redbone Coonhound 55lb.) one of the criteria was to be able to lift him up by the handle on the back of the jacket and have him remain level. If you haven't got one already, maybe this may be a "harness" option.
Amazon.com: dog life preservers
Given the intelligence/trainability of Labs it probably would be fairly easy to ladder train but what about when it gets older? 85 lbs. won't get any lighter so, indeed, the davit approach could be the best. Get the dog used to it now so when he/she gets less agile it will be old hat.
The LAST thing you want to do is traumatize the dog or injure him/her if something slips and not knowing exactly what you have to work with that's all I can offer.
Hope this helps.

Going up the ladder is not the problem. Coming down is where he will get hurt. 80 lb dogs can't continue to put that kind of force on the pasterns. He will break a leg if you are not careful. Lowering him down with the davit will be the best thing for him. Use a working harness or sometime called a training harness.

Greetings,
Mr. JD. Part of the problem we found with the small selection of training harnesses we had access to was the dogs weight wasn't evenly distributed. We were able to find a life jacket that we felt supported the dog evenly upon lifting. Now we were just testing by hand on the handle and maybe attachment of a carabiner would upset that balance. Too late for us now but for future reference I would be interested in your suggestions.

Welcome to TF Chris and Roger...

In 50's and 60's LI South Shore was my home port boating area. Traveled all over New England coast and ended up in Maine's Penobscot Bay by end of 60's and into mid 70's. Currently boating in SF Bay/Delta areas and Loven IT! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

It`s great you want to do this. With luck he/she may be with you 4 years +, so look for a permanent solution, he won`t get fitter with age, and is heavier than some dinghies which get hoisted. Some kind of winch operated hoist platform on vertical rails? Maybe use the existing ladder as a base to construct on. Someone with inventive thoughts and engineering bent should take a look, a sailboat mast rigger would be ideal.

A Lab! You were lucky he didn't retrive the ladder and bring it home, leaving you " out on a limb"

Many thanks for the great ideas. will end up using the davit or a block and tackle with some type of sling with front and rear support so he wont slip out.
Thank you for all the warm welcomes wish it could melt some of the snow must have 7+inches today.
does anyone have any ideas for propane mounting. originally on theflybridge in enclosed area under electronics. I looked at containers that were $500-$700. was wondering if a rv type container (only $50) would be enough protection and then were to put it.
Our boat is the aft master cabin with sundeck. will work on getting some pics.

Many thanks for the great ideas. will end up using the davit or a block and tackle with some type of sling with front and rear support so he wont slip out.
Thank you for all the warm welcomes wish it could melt some of the snow must have 7+inches today.
does anyone have any ideas for propane mounting. originally on theflybridge in enclosed area under electronics. I looked at containers that were $500-$700. was wondering if a rv type container (only $50) would be enough protection and then were to put it.
Our boat is the aft master cabin with sundeck. will work on getting some pics.

Hey guys - Put the word Propane into search feature at page top - More than you can imagine! - Cheers!! - Art :dance:

OMG you weren't kidding, like saying Niagra Falls.

Greetings,
Mr. JD. Part of the problem we found with the small selection of training harnesses we had access to was the dogs weight wasn't evenly distributed. We were able to find a life jacket that we felt supported the dog evenly upon lifting. Now we were just testing by hand on the handle and maybe attachment of a carabiner would upset that balance. Too late for us now but for future reference I would be interested in your suggestions.

we are going to try this harness...should get it next week.

Full Body Dog Lifting Harness - 1800PetMeds

may still have to use a spreader bar and two point sling...but I'm betting it will work out nicely if the harness doesn't cut into the dog too bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the harness info. I found one by orvis that looks like it might be less pressure on the groin area. Let me know how yours works out. What kind of a dog is it for ?

Thanks for the harness info. I found one by orvis that looks like it might be less pressure on the groin area. Let me know how yours works out. What kind of a dog is it for ?
70 pound, long bodied, female Golden Retriever.

Securing your propane bottles,depending how you set up,I found a large plastic flower pot saucer which neatly fitted the base of my extra bottle for the bbq/grill, drilled a couple of holes so it could drain water (unlikely), glued it to the floor of the locker,sat the bottle in it, further securing it at the top.

I think I'm going to have a slightly "bigger" problem getting my dog aboard
he's 130 lbs:facepalm:
DSC00422.JPG

Maybe a ramp would be in order?.

Robbie.

That's perfect!!, reasonable price too.
Thanks psn.

Robbie.

Hi RTF,
He's actually a chocolate lab, I took him in last year, he's soo big that no-one wanted him, I had to burn some rubber to reach the pound before he was put down, but he's settled right in now, as you can see, he claimed my recliner complete with cushions, lol.

Robbie.

ps: he snores loud enough to keep me awake some nights.

Hi RTF,
Yes he's cute, last fall he went off his food, it really worried me..until I caught him in the field next to the house stuffing his face with a deer that had been hit by a truck!!!, at least it was fresh..

When I took him to the vet for a check-up they tried to get him on the scales, he really didn't like that, the lady is a very.."well built woman" who doesn't take no for an answer,
it reminded me of a Sumo wrestling match!!!.

Robbie.

Thanks for rescuing him Robbie. We fostered a 115 lb Golden Lab for 6 months last year. He was about 11 years old and badly abused by his previous owners.

He lived out his life in peace and comfort in our home. Great dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I just wish that more people would visit the dog pound rather than buying from a so called breeder, well done guys.

My main rescue activities are horses, I had 7 of them last year all saved from slaughter, I managed to find good homes for all of them.

Robbie

Robbie, My thanks for the rescue as well. I work with a cat rescue group. I'm currently providing a forever home to four cats. If my typing gets a little crazy, it's because Chessy walked across the key board.

Our 13yo Shepherd we got age 4 as a rescue. It`s good to rescue. She has a new tablet for arthritis, it came with a pharmacy warning sticker, not to drive or operate machinery if drowsy. She was very unimpressed when I told her about the restrictions.
I`m starting to think the best boat dog is a portable one, but we have what we have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom