Wood Boats...SCARY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Have A Look?

What:eek: Your saying steel is more maintenance than wood:confused:
Crap!!! If that really is the case maybe I should contunue to consider that Malahide.
You just do not know until an assessment is done for wood rot and then a complete survey if the rot is manageable. A surveyor could have a look for wood rot in Turkey, but I think you should go yourself, have a preliminary look and then have a wood rot assessment done by a surveyor if you thought it was worth it. Here is a link in a previous post I did that tells how to do a good assesment for wood rot with the boat in the water Marine Surveying : Surveying Wood Hulls - Old Boats and Yachts

Also, if you can find a steel boat over there, look at it too. Check out a few boats just to get a feel for them.

Absolutely. From your and GG's plans as described the Cheoy Lee is probably the boat that comes closest to your needs

Whether this old FRP vessel or another like it, figure a minimum of $200K to get it blue water ready with yards doing all the work. Still that fits into GG's budget. A season spent cruising the PNW would reveal all the crew's and vessel's needs, especially the jaunts around Cape Caution and across Dixon Entrance in 25 knot breezes.

What:eek: Your saying steel is more maintenance than wood:confused:
Crap!!! If that really is the case maybe I should contunue to consider that Malahide.

That used to be true for the ongoing preventative maintenance, but with the special paints that have been developed for steel in the last few years they claim it has improved (although I have no personal experience with these paints). Also, if you develop a problem, such as rot or rust, the steel is cheaper and easier to have repaired. IMHO

Aluminum is softer than steel so it will gouge easier, but it is much harder than wood and it won't rust or rot. You do have to be very careful of dissimilar metals and electrolysis. Aluminum is the easiest to repair, but finding qualified repair facilities is more difficult in some areas.

In terms of lowest to highest maintenance cost and highest to lowest resale value, I would rank them (1) Aluminum, (2) solid Fiberglass, (3) foam cored Fiberglass, (4) Corten Steel, (5) Steel, (6) cold molded (Fiberglass over wood), (7) balsa cored Fiberglass, (8) plywood cored Fiberglass (9) Wood and (10) Cement. :hide: Your mileage may vary ...

I like steel for a world cruiser. Most places will have someone that can work steel, if need be. Maybe not to yachtie standards, but good enought to patch up if needed.

Here's a project

Used 1990 Terrebonne 75 Long Range Cruiser, Coos Bay, Or - 97420 - BoatTrader.com

I sent to GG already. I advised her to start looking a commercial rather than just pleasure. Not as fancy but they are built to cross oceans! Many boat mfg that built commercial also build Pleasure, on the same hull and basic supper.

My kind of boat. If i was interest in a new boat, I would look real hard!

Absolutely. From your and GG's plans as described the Cheoy Lee is probably the boat that comes closest to your needs...unless you could afford a similar sized Nordhavn, that is, and let's face it, few can.
I would certainly back this one....
Hampton Yacht Group - Co-Brokerage Yacht Search - Seattle, Washington, Pacific Northwest, International Yachts For Sale

Woo! How did I miss that? Now that is a nice boat for the price. Its not listed in the Seattle Broker Boats?

Last edited:
So now there is a vessel that appears to meet all GG's "criteria". A serious "buyer" would buy a ticket to the West Coast and
go take a look!! Even if it is not "THE BOAT" it must come as close as is likely and GG would learn a lot just by talking the tour!!
Looks real nice but too big for me!!

A serious "buyer" would buy a ticket to the West Coast and go take a look!! !!

First, get all the details missing from internet the sales BS. Hampton Seattle now is the Selene PNW dealer so has a few onboard blue water guys who could help a smart and savvy buyer cut to the chase via e-mails, new specific pictures and phone.

So now there is a vessel that appears to meet all GG's "criteria".

A very nice & roomy boat but "no cockpit!" I know, I know, a lot of you don't have cockpits on your boat but to me, the biggest reason for boating is to put me closer to the water. I can't imagine fishing, swimming or diving out of anything other than a nice cockpit! At anchor or in the slip, it's also a great place to hang out and contemplate your navel.

Attachments

• Navel.jpg
    Navel.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Like I said, it is about time to start actually looking at vessels. Can not dispute the "getting more info" perspective but sooner or later you have to go look!!! If nothing else it is a great learning experience.

Wood constructoin can be very strong. Consider de Havilland Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia made of wood. I think the greatest problem buying a boat with wood construction is finding a surveyor that knows wood. There are also bad surveyors out there so I would do my own assessment even though I was using written instructions on how to do an inspection. It's not as good as a surveyor who knows wood and does a careful assessment, but it would be better than the job a bad surveyor would do and it does give an initial assessment before calling in an expert.

Well spotted Peter, I`d be interested in feedback from GGs evaluation of this, and any other "little ship", I feel sure they are at the inspection stage of boat acquisition with the advice received. The advert. does not suggest it needs half its price spent on preparation, but then it`s an advert. The engine hours are modest for age, can`t have done much LR cruising.
Is the "total power" quoted for the Cats at 335hp really per engine, and not "total".
Easily accessed at Alameda, no crossing oceans, looks good on paper.

Last edited:
I'd be look'in at Radiant Star myself. Several years ago that boat was totally rebuilt in Scotland and sailed on her own bottom to Anacortes via Cape Horn. Has Gardner power and I think most anybody would feel comfortable anywhere in any ocean except perhaps the poles. May not be any wood problems for 30 years or more. See C lectric's post # 153 for the live link.

"1956 J&G Forbes Boat Yard North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale"

Last edited:
I'd be look'in at Radiant Star myself. Several years ago that boat was totally rebuilt in Scotland and sailed on her own bottom to Anacortes via Cape Horn. Has Gardner power and I think most anybody would feel comfortable anywhere in any ocean except perhaps the poles. May not be any wood problems for 30 years or more. See C lectric's post # 153 for the live link.

"1956 J&G Forbes Boat Yard North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale"

I spent some time on Radiant Star last fall and know the listiing broker very well. It is indeed a proven great sea boat in very nice condition. The cabin space would need major re-juggling for her crew and family needs.

GG now knows enough to strike out on her own with the right help by her side. Downtown Abbey awaits the search details, twists and turns as this tale unfolds.

Bright Star does not have much tankage

If you mean Radiant Star - It performed an 18,000 nm journey in traveling from Scotland to the PNW. On board fuel capacity is very good but if needed it could haul a 3 axle tanker if required.

If you mean Radiant Star - It performed an 18,000 nm journey in traveling from Scotland to the PNW. On board fuel capacity is very good but if needed it could haul a 3 axle tanker if required.
I thought those were temporary tanks for much of the diesel for the trip

Yes I should have said Radiant Star

There was an article in PMM about the Star, her refit and her voyage to Anacortes. Yes she was fitted w bladders for the trip.

Those Gardners are a bit antique but I think you can still get spares. I actually looked at a 65' steel Cammenga with Gardners in the UK when I first started looking for a larger vessel. Ended up buying a 47 Selene in the US instead but copied the Cammenga name (Auriga) because it was such a nice vessel. I believe you can actually take one or two cylinders off line to work on the engine while it is still operating. A friend's father was involved in the design of these engines.

Radiant Star remains on the market because (IMO) she is a big boat with no deck saloon. The living area is all downstairs with no view out and rather dark. Her next owner faces cutting the pilot house off and building a new deck house.

Woo! How did I miss that? Now that is a nice boat for the price. Its not listed in the Seattle Broker Boats?

Last night I had time to look at the boat. My wife probable would not even considerate it with the present stern swim platform and the steps. However the swim platform and step could be changed. Also the boat seems to have some steps to the staterooms, which my wife would not have. That is why she likes the Pilot house lay out because it has the least stairs and easier access from/to the dock.

We also like the wide body with no walk around decks, which gives more living space. The bigger the boat the less side decks are needed/used.

Last edited:
Thanks TAD I really admire the Radiant Star.

Re your comments the aft end of the house isn't very attractive but building a new house is probably fly stuff compared to the work done on her hull in Scotland. Who her next owner becomes will probably decide her fate.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted her here.

Radiant Star remains on the market because (IMO) she is a big boat with no deck saloon. The living area is all downstairs with no view out and rather dark. Her next owner faces cutting the pilot house off and building a new deck house.

Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect to make sure the center of gravity and center of buoyancy are not changed enough to make the boat more likely to roll if hit by a rogue wave. The same problem with adding fuel tanks on deck. Diesel weights 7.15 pounds per gallon. That’s 14,700 pounds for a 2000 gallon bladder tank. Also, wind pressure against a larger pilothouse makes the boat harder to handle.

Thanks TAD I really admire the Radiant Star.

Re your comments the aft end of the house isn't very attractive but building a new house is probably fly stuff compared to the work done on her hull in Scotland. Who her next owner becomes will probably decide her fate.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted her here.

Oh don't get me wrong, Radiant Star is a beautiful boat, just not particularly attractive to those buying that size and type of yacht.

A small deck saloon could be added (replacing the nav station there currently) behind the raised pilot house. If done sympathetically it could be really nice. Unfortunately people get greedy and want everything bigger....which is a mistake......

Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect to make sure the center of gravity and center of buoyancy are not changed enough to make the boat more likely to roll if hit by a rogue wave. The same problem with adding fuel tanks on deck. Diesel weights 7.15 pounds per gallon. That’s 14,700 pounds for a 2000 gallon bladder tank. Also, wind pressure against a larger pilothouse makes the boat harder to handle.

These boats are so heavy (200,000 pounds plus) and deep it takes a lot to create a dangerous stability problem. With a smaller boat it's much easier. I've seen it done with giant two and three story deckhouses, usually built by house carpenters who have no business altering old boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom