Wood Boats...SCARY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
Ms, GG. Far be it from me to suggest you just go out and buy something. You're doing good thus far. Research, research, research. Keep VERY MUCH in mind, even with you doing your homework and getting the BEST vessel you THINK will fulfill your needs, wants and desires, at this time, you're going to be disappointed with some things on "the" boat. I'm sure you have come to the conclusion that pretty well everything on a boat is a compromise and that your initial "list" has and will change over time. Keep askin'. Hey, you never answered my question regarding the Swedish boats and what renovations you felt were necessary. Accommodations? Fit and finish?

The boat was a bit crude for my liking. It would be fine if I wasn't going to also use it as a liveaboard. I would definitely have to clean it up.

Google this: converted trawlers for sale
There are a considerable number of hits

trawlers expedition yachts conversion for sale | Expeditionyacht.org
Mega Yachts here, but consider locations he mentions for conversion work. Maybe he would do a small job
Fishing Boats - Used Commercial Vessels
78 to 87+ fishing trawlers for sale.

One example of a boat that could be converted.
Desco 75 Trawler- Fishing Boat Market

I think I get my fill of renovation with homes. Plus, I'm not patient enough to wait on a lenghtly refit. Plus, I'd rather purchase the boat that some other guy dumped a bunch of money into :D

one element I don't know if has been explored, GG and MeMe, have you selected your captain? This is a very important piece to your puzzle and not to be taken lightly. You are going to be spending a lot of 24/7 time with this person....

We knew someone who bought a brand new high end 55 foot "trawler" type boat and hired a captain to help him fit it out and deliver it several hundred ocean miles. The captain was then to train the owner on handling the boat as it was a huge step up form the owner's prior experience. They did NOT get along and it got quite ugly. The captain packed up and left the owner in a rather bad situation. The boat is (and has been for about two years) for sale. Not to say he could not have found another captain, but he was so disgusted with the situation he chose not to and instead gave up on boating and moved on to other interests.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is a captain and he has helped one of his clients buy, fit out and deliver two large "Offshore" (I believe is the brand) boats. They are now working together on a third. My friend is on call to come to whichever boat the owner wants to use (they are in different places the owner likes to cruise) and run the boat for the owner while he is on board. They have a great relationship and have been working together for many years. Not sure if the removal of the "training" element helps the relationship but perhaps??? Trying to teach someone something adds an element of potential frustration on both sides.

On another note, our slip neighbors have been living on a big hatteras with "grandpa" and their young adult son. They are in the master stateroom, gramps is in the v berth and the son bunks in saloon on the fold out couch. I am not sure where he keeps his stuff but the boat is always put together and presentable. Don't limit your self to thinking the number of cabins or even number of "bunks" must equal the number of people. There is a lot of flexibility in sleeping spaces on most boats.

Thanks for the tip. We actually have a friend of the family who is a captain. We don't have to worry to much about the travel aspect at this stage in the game, because when the boat arrives, we will settle in and get comfortable with her for a couple months before taking any trips. So, we will have plenty of time for planning during that time.

. Plus, I'd rather purchase the boat that some other guy dumped a bunch of money into :D

I can relate to that completely. We did exactly that on a much smaller scale than you propose. I scoured listings and looked at boats for over 1 year before stumbling upon our boat by accident.

You can find what you seek but finding it intentionally by seeking broker sites is near impossible IMO. They usually sell quickly.

Ours was a private party sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

GG and Meme

Having followed this thread rather closely... I believe you have been informed once, twice, or more about most of the important items regarding the basic needs of the "type" boat and "style" boating you seek to own and accomplish. Redundancy of posters' input is actually becoming redundant (if that's possible?? :facepalm:).

Now that you have been freely provided much info, there seems but one thing left for you to do... Go Forth and Prosper! Spend some bucks and lease boats similar to what you want with a captain at the helm. Then, after you get some firsthand boating experience under your belt, you will have better knowledge to actually find YOUR boat! :thumb:

Best luck girls! - Art :D

I can relate to that completely. We did exactly that on a much smaller scale than you propose. I scoured listings and looked at boats for over 1 year before stumbling upon our boat by accident.

You can find what you seek but finding it intentionally by seeking broker sites is near impossible IMO. They usually sell quickly.

Ours was a private party sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Funny you should say that as the last 3 boats that I really thought were the "one" went sale pending before I was even able to finish my research.

I figure I am either on the right track or having dumb luck or maybe a little of both.

OK, I'm :horse: but maybe this is one of those more research is needed things:

Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for Old Boats Using Modern Methods by Jim Trefethen
The author claims you can buy a wooden boat, renovate and remodel it for much less money than buying a comparable boat in steel or fiberglass if the wooden boat is repairable. Determining if it is repairable is also covered in the book.

Boat Interior Construction by Michael Naujok
OK so this is about what to do after gutting a boat which you do not want to do, but it could be useful if you want to do some modification to a boat so it has four cabins with enough bunks for the whole family.

Details of Classic Boat Construction by Larry Pardey
Lin and Larry Pardey have sailed twice around the world in two wooden boats that they have built and have written many books about their exploits that I just love to read about. This book on wood boat construction is 500 plus pages of detail on fabrication and also includes repairing and maintaining a wooden boat.

Initial Boat Survey checklist
The Initial Survey, is the boat worth repairing. Practical advice.

Marine Surveying : Surveying Wood Hulls - Old Boats and Yachts
Very detailed on wood rot detection, also some info on metal corrosion

http://www.baymarinesurvey.com/CruisingWorld_Surveyors.pdf
Some surveyors do a very bad job

http://alsafeenah.com/Uploads/CategoriesDetail/b19fa2ae-97e2-4d0d-bd43-668c0d36df97.pdf
A detailed survey check list for any boat.

Girls – Visit the ad. Maybe you like??

Suryey, Survey, Survey - Best Luck! :thumb:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3650844950.html

73' Pilothouse Yacht - $180,000
Call 714-943-1600
1974 Vic Franck Custom Pilothouse
Coldmoulded construction
4 staterooms
3 heads
Twin Detroit 8V71tti - 3200 hours
Rebuilt V-drives
Naiad Stabilizers
Bow Thruster
Microcommander Controls
20Kw Generator - 1200 hours
Teak Decks

$180k

Hi Art, I think we looked at this one, she is pretty. Do ya think in this price range, ya get what you pay for. I mean, for this price this would need a bit of work even if maintained. Or is my thinking way off here?
We know we'll be buying someone else's problems, but just how deep will
they be at this price?
I guess hard to tell.
You wouldn't happen to know how long it's been posted for?
Thing we seen it on yachtworld, or another same make.
Thanks!
Meme

Hi Art, I think we looked at this one, she is pretty. Do ya think in this price range, ya get what you pay for. I mean, for this price this would need a bit of work even if maintained. Or is my thinking way off here?
We know we'll be buying someone else's problems, but just how deep will
they be at this price?
I guess hard to tell.
You wouldn't happen to know how long it's been posted for?
Thing we seen it on yachtworld, or another same make.
Thanks!
Meme

Hey Meme - Hire a surveyor for a prelim look and a base-report back to you two. Never know till ya try! She might be a real sleeper. At that price you could afford to spruce her way-up to meet your desires! :socool:

Heck... maybe seller has a survey handy for the get-go?? :D Only talkes a phone call! :thumb:

Westwinds, thanks for the recommend, I'm an avid reader so I'm gonna order this one. There was another one they were recommending over on CF, about circumnavigation, I think they said part 4???
Are you familiar??
Thanks
Meme

Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for Old Boats Using Modern Methods by Jim Trefethen
The author claims you can buy a wooden boat, renovate and remodel it for much less money than buying a comparable boat in steel or fiberglass if the wooden boat is repairable. Determining if it is repairable is also covered in the book.

Build one :-D easy peasy

OMG - It's Matt!! Abandon ship - He's gonna tear it down and rebuild it! - LOL

Hi Matt, how's it goen?? good I hope! :thumb:

OMG - It's Matt!! Abandon ship - He's gonna tear it down and rebuild it! - LOL

Hi Matt, how's it goen?? good I hope! :thumb:

Hey mate! Hahaha yeah step aside and let me in there haha Yeah I'm all good thanks. Still building the woodie. How are you old mate? You and your family well?

@Art, thanks, I think I was looking at another Vic Franck on YW.

@Hendo, Is it at easy as building a house???

@Portager, love that area, had a friend who ran ferries to the San Juan Islands for years. We'll prob just do Maine or the east coast though.

Thanks,
Meme

@Art, thanks, I think I was looking at another Vic Franck on YW.

@Hendo, Is it at easy as building a house???

@Portager, love that area, had a friend who ran ferries to the San Juan Islands for years. We'll prob just do Maine or the east coast though.

Thanks,
Meme

Well I'm a residential house builder (carpenter by trade) not a boat builder ;-)

Have a look at my thread on the boat build so far. No boat building skills there lol. Just a weird shaped house

Check out "Wayne Shibley wooden boats". He's in Chicago. Check out the wood diesel duck he built. Lots of construction detail.Larry

Thanks,
Meme

Sounds like a coastal bias to me! :angel:

The important thing is to find representative boats like you think you intend to buy and take an extended test drive somewhere representative. I choose the San Juan's to start because my wife at the time was nervous about rough sea's. The San Juan's were a great place to get her hooked.

Also, don't overlook aluminum boats. Aluminum costs a little more to build, but is the easiest to maintain and typically has higher resale value, so if you happen to find a good deal on an aluminum ...

Also, don't overlook aluminum boats. Aluminum costs a little more to build, but is the easiest to maintain and typically has higher resale value, so if you happen to find a good deal on an aluminum ...

The Europeans sure like aluminum. An isolation transformer is a must for these because of electrolysis which can eat up the boat.

Westwinds, thanks for the recommend, I'm an avid reader so I'm gonna order this one. There was another one they were recommending over on CF, about circumnavigation, I think they said part 4???
Are you familiar??
Thanks
Meme
I must have missed it. I did try Google with the word circumnavigation, then clicked on the little gear icon in the upper right, (the one for Google below the one for Internet Explorer) which took me to advanced search, click on that and fill out last update (I did one month) and site or domain name of www.cruisersforum.com. This gives all instances of this word that showed up in the last month, unfortunately, that word gets used an awful lot in crusersforum and I could not find anything in all the clutter. If you can remember more about the name of the book, you can narrow the search and maybe find it.

The important thing is to find representative boats like you think you intend to buy and take an extended test drive somewhere representative. I choose the San Juan's to start because my wife at the time was nervous about rough sea's. The San Juan's were a great place to get her hooked.

Is that right? For some reason I was thinking that aluminum was a soft material. I'll rule it back in. Thanks.

I must have missed it. I did try Google with the word circumnavigation, then clicked on the little gear icon in the upper right, (the one for Google below the one for Internet Explorer) which took me to advanced search, click on that and fill out last update (I did one month) and site or domain name of www.cruisersforum.com. This gives all instances of this word that showed up in the last month, unfortunately, that word gets used an awful lot in crusersforum and I could not find anything in all the clutter. If you can remember more about the name of the book, you can narrow the search and maybe find it.

I think it was "Voyaging Under Power"

Last edited:
Hey mate! Hahaha yeah step aside and let me in there haha Yeah I'm all good thanks. Still building the woodie. How are you old mate? You and your family well?

A-OK - TY for asken!

I have that book and thought it was very well written. It covers a lot of different subjects. Here is the Amazon link
Amazon.com: Voyaging Under Power, 4th Edition (9780071767330): Robert P. Beebe, Denis Umstot: Books

and here are the customer's reviews:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Voyaging Under Power, 4th Edition

I haven't read the 4th edition yet. I have read Beebe's original and the Nordhavn edition (3rd). I know Denis, just haven't got around to buying his edition. I strongly recommend reading the 1st, 3rd and 4th editions. My understanding is that the 1st and 2nd editions are very similar BICBW. The 1st and 3rd editions are different enough to be considered different books - you need to read the 1st to have a good perspective on the 3rd edition IMHO and based on conversations with Denis his revision was intended to be significantly different than the Leishman version.

Enjoy the search ladies. I dreamed the dream for close to 50 years and then searched actively all over North America for 5 years before we finally bought Gray Hawk. We walked on dozens of boats and kept telling ourselves that when we walked on the right one we would know. In point of fact I knew when I read her listing and I wanted to buy her sight unseen but SWMBO said "NO". Once we finally got onboard she was the first of us to say "we're going to buy this boat". But in the interim enjoy the hunt.

I have Lin and Larry Pardey’s book, Cost Conscious Cruiser that has information on hull material choices.

Fiberglass is the most popular material by far, but be able to discern between the well built boat and one that has poor reinforcing and bonding for floors, bulkheads, with cracking and structural failure. Osmosis blisters occur on about a third of the boats, but hull can be sealed. Rotting core materials like end grain balsa, plywood, or foam for stiffening on decks and coach roof can be repaired. Avoid hulls with core materials as hard sailing can cause separation and breakdown of material. Fiberglass can be neglected longer than steel and wood.

Steel is said to be good if the boat hits a reef; however, may a boat has been left on a reef because the damage was extensive enough that re-floating the boat was not worth it. Considerable maintenance is required for steel boats. Eric and Susan Hiscock, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hiscock, who have owned both wood and steel state that it takes two or three times the work to keep a steel boat in good condition than it does a wood boat. Regular inspections for scratches must be done and paint applied. There is also the problem of compass deviation from the steel hull. A remotely mounted electronic compass up the mast helps, but using a hand-bearing compass is not possible for taking sights on landmarks for navigation. Steel rusts from the inside out so damp areas like a marine toilet, refrigerators, chain lockers have to be inspected and repaired. Most marine brokers consider a steel boat more than ten years old as having really low resale value. If you are willing to remove the interior completely and refinish hidden corners, replacing steel plate in some areas, a steel boat could be affordable.

The French have well-built boats of aluminum that are long lasting and low maintenance by not painting the aluminum. The aluminum takes on a battleship gray color. However, dissimilar metals can cause electrolysis. Also electrical system leakage can cause a severe kind corrosion. These boats are custom designed so are more expensive and hold their value. Good deals are hard to find.

Wood has fallen out of favor because it is cheaper to build a production boat using fiberglass. Wood is a good hull material, but most production wood boats are now old and a survey is very important. Also, softwoods such as fir and pine where iron fasteners were used are only good for twenty to thirty years. Wood and epoxy construction in more recent times are sold at low prices because many were home built, and some were done to questionable craftsmanship as were some production boats where boats were not done to a an acceptable design. Also the epoxies that were used were not really waterproof and were also susceptible to weakening when heated to temperatures as low as 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Look for a traditional boat laminated with rot resistant woods like cedar or teak using resorcinol glue that is completely water proof, heat, and fatigue resistant. This glue leaves brownish red joints. For any wood boat, bronze or copper fastenings must be used and three coatings of creosote to any bare wood that will be underwater is needed to control teredo worms. Paint is then applied to the creosote treated wood.

Ferrocement hulls are mostly built by amateurs and are difficult to ensure. Poor quality cement and questionable placement of rebar are issues. Maintenance is as difficult as steel and puncture resistance is low. Resale value is very low; however, some have gone cruising for little money. Some are commercially built and are usually of better quality.

I have Lin and Larry Pardey’s book, Cost Conscious Cruiser that has information on hull material choices.

Fiberglass is the most popular material by far, but be able to discern between the well built boat and one that has poor reinforcing and bonding for floors, bulkheads, with cracking and structural failure. Osmosis blisters occur on about a third of the boats, but hull can be sealed. Rotting core materials like end grain balsa, plywood, or foam for stiffening on decks and coach roof can be repaired. Avoid hulls with core materials as hard sailing can cause separation and breakdown of material. Fiberglass can be neglected longer than steel and wood.

Steel is said to be good if the boat hits a reef; however, may a boat has been left on a reef because the damage was extensive enough that re-floating the boat was not worth it. Considerable maintenance is required for steel boats. Eric and Susan Hiscock, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hiscock, who have owned both wood and steel state that it takes two or three times the work to keep a steel boat in good condition than it does a wood boat. Regular inspections for scratches must be done and paint applied. There is also the problem of compass deviation from the steel hull. A remotely mounted electronic compass up the mast helps, but using a hand-bearing compass is not possible for taking sights on landmarks for navigation. Steel rusts from the inside out so damp areas like a marine toilet, refrigerators, chain lockers have to be inspected and repaired. Most marine brokers consider a steel boat more than ten years old as having really low resale value. If you are willing to remove the interior completely and refinish hidden corners, replacing steel plate in some areas, a steel boat could be affordable.

The French have well-built boats of aluminum that are long lasting and low maintenance by not painting the aluminum. The aluminum takes on a battleship gray color. However, dissimilar metals can cause electrolysis. Also electrical system leakage can cause a severe kind corrosion. These boats are custom designed so are more expensive and hold their value. Good deals are hard to find.

Wood has fallen out of favor because it is cheaper to build a production boat using fiberglass. Wood is a good hull material, but most production wood boats are now old and a survey is very important. Also, softwoods such as fir and pine where iron fasteners were used are only good for twenty to thirty years. Wood and epoxy construction in more recent times are sold at low prices because many were home built, and some were done to questionable craftsmanship as were some production boats where boats were not done to a an acceptable design. Also the epoxies that were used were not really waterproof and were also susceptible to weakening when heated to temperatures as low as 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Look for a traditional boat laminated with rot resistant woods like cedar or teak using resorcinol glue that is completely water proof, heat, and fatigue resistant. This glue leaves brownish red joints. For any wood boat, bronze or copper fastenings must be used and three coatings of creosote to any bare wood that will be underwater is needed to control teredo worms. Paint is then applied to the creosote treated wood.

Ferrocement hulls are mostly built by amateurs and are difficult to ensure. Poor quality cement and questionable placement of rebar are issues. Maintenance is as difficult as steel and puncture resistance is low. Resale value is very low; however, some have gone cruising for little money. Some are commercially built and are usually of better quality.

What:eek: Your saying steel is more maintenance than wood:confused:
Crap!!! If that really is the case maybe I should contunue to consider that Malahide.

I like steel for a world cruiser. Most places will have someone that can work steel, if need be. Maybe not to yachtie standards, but good enought to patch up if needed.

Here's a project

Used 1990 Terrebonne 75 Long Range Cruiser, Coos Bay, Or - 97420 - BoatTrader.com

Funny you pulled this boat. 2 months ago I e-mailed the broker who sent me a bunch of pics and the write up of what she needed to reach completion. Someone started the work and didn't finish. I decided not to pursue it because I don't know enough about boat construction. I can remember the learning curve that I went through when I first started developing. The stupid mistakes that I made. I wouldn't want to go through the same learning curve with a boat renovation. What I have ahead of me will be challenging enough.

It would have been a great match if it were complete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom