Daddyo
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Boat selection opinions

Quote:
timjet wrote:

Yes the Marine Trader 36 Sedan would work nicely, but trying to find one with the teak decks removed would not be easy. And I still have all the other teak to maintain. The MT 34 Sedan would work as well, but again finding one with the teak deck removed would be difficult.

Interestingly Jack Hornor a marine surveyor who contributes articles about various used boats to boat US magazine in reviewing the MT 34 mentioned the exact same problems with the MT that I mentioned in a previous post. In that post, a local marine repair facility I have used in the past mentioned the problems with MT and their teak decks as well as their fuel tanks.

The MT 34 and 36 Sedans seem to be common in FL and perhaps one with the teak decks removed will pop up. I could find no MT 36 Sun Decks, which has everything I want except the walk through transome, listed in FL and only 3 on the whole east coast. Is the 36 sun deck so good nobody wants to sell them or did MT not produce very many? My guess is the latter.

Tim
Why do the decks need to be removed already? You could buy the boat and have any yard remove the decks and have the brightwork painted if that's what you wanted. I have painted over the brightwork on my windows and have left the cap rails and doors in varnish as well as the hatches but they are normally covered with weather cloth so no maintenance there. Keep in mind many boats that have the teak decks don't have leaks. The nice thing about the covered side deck sedans is that the only exposed decking is forward and really is the only area that normally needs to be dealt with. The best feature to us is the fact that we can leave the windows open in bad weather.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote