Location of the HIN # on a GB32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felipe

Can anyone tell where I would find the Hull ID # on a 1975 ( fiberglass) GB32?

I don't think there is one. At least there is not on my '78 42 ... or at least I could not find one. When I registered it in Washington, I used Hull #GB 42-572. That satisfied the state. GB 42-572 along with the documentation number, is what I provided to the insurance company.

The HIN on the early glass GBs is stamped into the transom on the lower starboard corner just under the swim step. This makes it almost impossible to read unless the boat is out of the water. At some point the HIN was moved to the upper starboard corner like most other boats.

Our hull is from the first batch made after the conversion to fiberglass in mid-'73 and its HIN is in the position I described. I do not know when the position of the HIN was switched.

Last edited:
The HIN on the early glass GBs is stamped into the transom on the lower starboard corner just under the swim step.

That would explain why I could not find it. I'll have to look the next time I get a chance.

The HIN on the early glass GBs is stamped into the transom on the lower starboard corner just under the swim step. This makes it almost impossible to read unless the boat is out of the water.
Ditto for my 1975 CHB 34.

The HIN on the early glass GBs is stamped into the transom on the lower starboard corner ..............
Isn't that where they are required to be by law?

That's where it's been on every boat I've owned.

The hull number on our 1986 GB 42 is shown in the photo. I've been told that GB moved the placement from under the swim step (as Marin stated) to the current location in about 1981. Anyhow, get your swim suit and goggles and have a look!!!

Attachments

• Hull-ID.jpg
    Hull-ID.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 173
Isn't that where they are required to be by law?

That's where it's been on every boat I've owned.

No. Every powerboat on which I've observed the HIN which been manufactured since the mid-1980s, including our 1987 17' Arima to all the GBs in the Bellingham charter fleet from 32 to 52 feet, have their HIN engraved in the upper right (starboard) corner of the transom per Ray's earlier post. The only fiberglass boats I'm aware of including ours that have the HIN low in the starboard aft corner of the transom have been very old--- 1970s vintage.

Our 1983 IG32 has its hull number stamped just below the swim platform slightly starboard of center.

Took a few years to find it. Just did not know where to look.

JohnP

Hin

Attachments

• HIN Location.jpg
    HIN Location.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 167
No. Every powerboat on which I've observed the HIN which been manufactured since the mid-1980s, including our 1987 17' Arima to all the GBs in the Bellingham charter fleet from 32 to 52 feet, have their HIN engraved in the upper right (starboard) corner of the transom per Ray's earlier post. The only fiberglass boats I'm aware of including ours that have the HIN low in the starboard aft corner of the transom have been very old--- 1970s vintage.

That is the transom on the starboard side, right?

What's a HIN ? and how to interpret it.

It's a number put on the boat that's unique to that boat. It is to a boat what a VIN number is to a car or truck. If you own a boat, you would have to have submitted it's HIN to the authority that documented or registered your boat.

I can't tell you how to interpret it. I know it has a manufacturer;s code and I believe it has a date or at least month and year of manufacture.

I'm sure someone else knows the rest of it or you could look it up on the Internet.

It's a number put on the boat that's unique to that boat. It is to a boat what a VIN number is to a car or truck. If you own a boat, you would have to have submitted it's HIN to the authority that documented or registered your boat.

I can't tell you how to interpret it. I know it has a manufacturer;s code and I believe it has a date or at least month and year of manufacture.

I'm sure someone else knows the rest of it or you could look it up on the Internet.

It was not a question. it was a link to what the HIN/MIC is all about.

I believe Canada started using HIN's in 1982, so maybe your boat predates when the US started using them?

That is the transom on the starboard side, right?

Sorry, my wording was not as clear as it should have been. Yes, the starboard side or end of the transom near the upper corner. I don't know if this position is actually mandated by the USCG or anyone official but that's where they all seem to be these days, at least on powerboats.

And you are correct, one can learn the coding of the HIN from sites on the Internet. It includes the manufacturer's code at the beginning-- GND in the case of a Grand Banks, AMI in the case of our Arima-- and the last two numbers are the year of manufacture. I used to know the rest of it but have forgotten.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom