It's gettin' scary...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The marinas in our area (Tri Cities, WA) are full and most have a waiting list. There aren't any dry stack or dry storage areas around here so if you don't keep your boat in the water you keep it on a trailer at home.

Our marina is only 5 years old and is a nice facility. I pay $225 a month for a 60'x20' slip that is covered and that price includes water. We have 50A and 30A power and there's a building on shore with showers and rest rooms.

Like most marinas, the majority of boats don't ever leave the dock. We go out a lot (165 hours last year) and there are a few boats that go out 3-4 times a summer, but many don't ever leave the slip.

Our mooring costs us $150/yr plus $60 for a mandatory annual inspection. But, for access to the water, we belong to the local, very low key, Yacht club. That costs us $600/year plus $150/yr dinghy dock fee. Free water, parking, garbage hopper and stewards to help with the constant schlepping of stuff. $960/yr total.

On the other hand, our boating season is only 5 +/- months long.
male19-male-crying-tears-smiley-emoticon-000061-large.gif

David,
Reminds me of Thorne Bay w $570 a year for a 37' slip. BOY do I miss that!

By the way that fish boat owner next to us removed the fly bridge and says he has less effect from windage. I think he removed it because he thought it made his fish boat look too much like a trawler yacht.

Attachments

• STH71538 copy.jpg
    STH71538 copy.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
There are so many openings in the Delta and Bay marinas that I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad to take advantage of the seasonal changes in fishing and cruising opportunities. Napa River sturgeon, Angel Island halibut, Pittsburg/Antioch/Rio Vista striped bass, California Delta summer cruising, Sacramento salmon, even Bodega Bay crabbing...all within reach now in retirement.

As an added bonus, many of the marinas are now offering slips at prices below my current $420 per month for a covered 40' slip. So not only would I save fuel and time while exploring new waters, I'd also save slip money.

Marin if you were at LaConner you could leave your brightwork open all the time.

Our boat won't fit in La Conner's sheds. Also we use the boat year round as a weekend getaway cabin even if we don't go out. Not much fun staying on a boat inside a shed.

La Conner is too far away from the places we like to go so it was never an option when we first started looking for a marina in 1998.

But the main reason La Conner is not an option for us is that our boat refuses to go south of Anacortes. If we try both engines quit and won't restart until we can get the bow headed north again. We think it's because if we try to go south of Anacortes the boat thinks we're going to return it to San Francisco Bay so it digs in its heels and stops.:)

You're right about the brightwork, though.

There are so many openings in the Delta and Bay marinas that I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad to take advantage of the seasonal changes in fishing and cruising opportunities.

I think that's a real advantage to boating in the Delta. If I was in an environment similar to the Delta, I'd be in hog heaven. Covered slip and fresh water to boot! :nonono:

A mooring on the CT river ,5 min from our house, 20 miles from LI Sound , $100 a month .

Closer to the Sound costs a bit more , drive the car? drive the boat?

We chose close to home as the boat is great to BE ON , even when not underway.

Cruising a couple of weeks is not a hassle with an extra 20 miles to get away.

Last edited:
I just organized a 10m (33ft) berth @ $220/month in Glenelg, South Australia; 15 minutes from home. Includes power, water, showers & parking. Nicely protected with no tidal changes due to a lock isolating the bay. Marina residents receive a remote control to operate the lock, giving access 24/7.
Prices have dropped due to a couple new marinas flooding the market recently.

Marina residents receive a remote control to operate the lock, giving access 24/7.

Now that is something I never heard of! Pretty damn neat!

Everett works well for us as a live a board. I work at Boeing and the commute is only 8 miles. I wish we were closer to the San Juan Island though. It would be nice to take weekend trips. Right now I am about 6 hours cruising time from there. We thought about moving to La Conner but they don't allow live a boards. At least that is what their rules did say. Still, that is a long commute form Everett.

We have a covered berth in Everett which makes living in the PNW a lot more comfortable during the winter.

Before we moved up here in 2010 we had our boat in the Antioch marina in the Delta. Had a covered berth there but to protect the boat from the sun. Prior to that the boat was in Oxbow Marina, also a covered berth. We had a hard time dealing with the heat in the Delta. The PNW is perfect for us. Although a little more sun wouldn't hurt.

For what its worth the harbors in southcentral Alaska are full and have a long waiting list.

In Whittier Alaska I waited 6 years for a 28' slip.

When I was boat shopping I asked about a 50' slip and was told the wait list exceeded my life expectancy.

At Seward Alaska I went on the 50' wait list August 2010, and am #2 on the list now. They will start giving out slips in the next week or two so I'll fianlly get a permenant slip assignment.

In Whittier the 28' slip cost $2200 a year. In Seward the 50' slip costs $2700 a year.

In Whittier the 28' slip cost $2200 a year. In Seward the 50' slip costs $2700 a year.

That's very inexpensive/cheap. Seems to me the price should be raised with a corresponding increase in additional berths. Something seems to be wrong with "the market."

Now that is something I never heard of! Pretty damn neat!

It's great - It also operates a pedestrian bridge lift. The controls have all safety systems built in, so its fairly foolproof.

For what its worth the harbors in southcentral Alaska are full and have a long waiting list.

When I was boat shopping I asked about a 50' slip and was told the wait list exceeded my life expectancy.

At Seward Alaska I went on the 50' wait list August 2010, and am #2 on the list now. They will start giving out slips in the next week or two so I'll fianlly get a permenant slip assignment.

Now that is a perfect example of supply and demand driving the price. So have you had to move your boat around during the year?

Now that is a perfect example of supply and demand driving the price. So have you had to move your boat around during the year?

Actually I got lucky.

I arrived in Seward on about may 1

A really nice TF and BOC member, Will, let me know he was vacating his slip for the summer at the end of May so I was able to stay in his slip all summer.

When he came back in September I moved to a "vacant" slip, which I hope to be assigned to in the next week or so. This slip has both 30A and 50A power feeds, making it extra nice.

Actually I got lucky.

I arrived in Seward on about may 1

A really nice TF and BOC member, Will, let me know he was vacating his slip for the summer at the end of May so I was able to stay in his slip all summer.

When he came back in September I moved to a "vacant" slip, which I hope to be assigned to in the next week or so. This slip has both 30A and 50A power feeds, making it extra nice.

What I wouldn't give to have 50A service at the slip we have now. Having to play the 30A two step is a pain, but that is what we have.

Hope you get the slip.

Just for perspective, we are paying 14.50/ft/month at our marina in SW Florida. Plus tax 7%, plus electric. We are pretty full right now, but a number of folks will be leaving for points North this month.

Chris
TORTUGA
KK 42-125

You will be glad to know that our marina has a good mix of older and younger (relatively) boat owners. The Admiral and I are in our early 40s, so probably on the younger side of the equation. Just this past weekend it was 46 degrees, cloudy and windy, yet we had four boats from our marina on the water (our insurance layup ended last Friday), all with owners under 50. Of course, we also have our share of derelict boats that never move, some of which are not that old yet are sadly falling apart from lack of use and maintenance. We pay 3,000 per year for our 30 ft sailboat in a 30 ft slip, and will be paying 3,600 for the Nordic Tug (35 foot slip). The number of empty slips seems to be improving since 2008, and more boats seem to be going out and being used. A lot just sat when gas prices went through the roof a few years ago. Ours is a condo marina, so the price for each rented slip is individualy negotiated. That said, it appears that rental prices haven't really changed in the seven years we've been at this marina.

Just for perspective, we are paying 14.50/ft/month at our marina in SW Florida. Plus tax 7%, plus electric. We are pretty full right now, but a number of folks will be leaving for points North this month.

Chris
TORTUGA
KK 42-125

Chris, that is pretty steep even for that area. Does it include electric? What's the name of the marina?

Don
Fisherman's Village Marina. Fishville.com. Electricity is extra--I payed less than $8 last month.

Chris

I just organized a 10m (33ft) berth @ $220/month in Glenelg, South Australia; 15 minutes from home. Includes power, water, showers & parking. Nicely protected with no tidal changes due to a lock isolating the bay. Marina residents receive a remote control to operate the lock, giving access 24/7.
Prices have dropped due to a couple new marinas flooding the market recently.
AusCan, that`s a great bargain! A 36 ft berth in Sydney is about $1200pcm, may explain why so many boats suffer the inconvenience of a swing mooring at annual cost less than one month berthing, even with an annual mooring service factored in.

I heard a rumor that LaConner was also allowing live aboard's again after kicking them all out a few years ago.

I have a friend that will be staying the next winter in LaConner. They don't call it livaboards he was told. They now call them extended stays up to 6 months.:whistling:

To add injury to insult, you pay $40 a year to be on the waiting list in Whittier. I know folks that have been on the waiting list for 14 years....

I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad..... in retirement.

I can't seem to get this "nomad" concept out of my mind. (Nor do I want to!) If I were to do this, it would put me within an hours drive of the boat and much closer to Catalina Island and the Channel Islands. (Which I love!) This concept would put me well within reach of so many neat SoCal destinations. :confused::angel::facepalm:

The Official Catalina Island Website

Heck ya! You wander north and I'll wander south. We can meet in the middle and swap boats for a year! (You know you want twins and a flybridge!!)

:whistling:
Heck ya! You wander north and I'll wander south. We can meet in the middle and swap boats for a year! (You know you want twins and a flybridge!!)

Although the thought intrigues me, I don't know if I can muster the "moxie"
to be able to operate all the improvements (electronics) that you've made to your boat.:blush: On my boat you just push 2 buttons and go! One to start the engine and one to turn the plotter on.

Attachments

• FlyWright & SeaHorse II.jpg
    FlyWright & SeaHorse II.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Nomad out this way you two. Cheap moorings, gorgeous cruising grounds and you only have to do it 5 months a year leaving you plenty of spare time to work on your boats, shovel snow and dream of next season.

Back
Top Bottom