Anyone own, owned or know about Marine Trader 50 MY's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wadosan

Veteran Member
I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.

I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.

I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.

Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.

I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.

I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?

Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.

Thanks. Did you ever take one out for a sea trial or did it not get that far in the pre-purchase?

Greetings,
Mr. W DD=Detroit Diesel. Nope, never left the dock with any of them. I think Mr. Rolling Stone has one but he has vacated the premises (TF site) for the time being. You might try a PM (private message) or Mr. Sailor of Fortune has his phone #. Mr. RS would be the person to get in touch with as he has done a fair amount of repair on his vessel which he documented on this site. Can't remember the threads though...

I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.

Attachments

• 1828698_38.jpg
    1828698_38.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?

OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49

Then it went to a broker it seems.

Here's a link to a you tube video

For sale - 49' Trawler $159K Motor Yacht Perseverance - YouTube

When we were looking a few years ago we ran accross the boat, and liked much of what we saw in the several videos they had on the boat.

The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots.

I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.

Last edited:
Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.

MT50 widebody for sale at

sailingmachines.com
Ted

I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49. The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots. I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.
I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.

Attachments

• MT 50 MY.jpg
    MT 50 MY.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,475
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.

Those are bilge keels added to address the top heavy concerns I had. The freeboard on these seems excessive to me. When you see one from astern it really shows what I'm talking about.

Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.

I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her:devil:

Attachments

• 2209027_1.jpg
    2209027_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 2209027_52.jpg
    2209027_52.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 3909729_-1_20120430122027_0_0.jpg
    3909729_-1_20120430122027_0_0.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 2209027_4.jpg
    2209027_4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 216
I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her:devil:

Wow. Very nice. So you feel these are less top heavy than the MT50? My inexperienced eye doesn't see much difference between the DeFever 60 and the MT 50. I realize one can't really compare the two vessels...it would be like a Cadillac to a Chevy but it seems the proportions are similar.

The MT has considerably more freeboard and less beam. The wetted surface on the DeFever is considerably more as well due to the deeper midship bilge and forefoot.

This thread is probably dead but I looked at "Tortuga" a MT50 for sale in clear lake Texas and absolutely loved it. It was a walk around. One of my favorite aspects was the engine room, it didn't have the usual corridor, the entire space was open and had a door on either end, so basically the aft cabin was separated from the front by the engine room... but doors on either end of the engine room allowed access

Greetings,
Mr. N. Indeed a very nice MT 50. I've never seen that ER layout before. Might be a newer development of the the model.

Greetings,
Mr. N. Indeed a very nice MT 50. I've never seen that ER layout before. Might be a newer development of the the model.

I talked to that boats previous owner, he told me the non-wide body models of his vintage had no hallway, whereas the wide body models had the hallway and seperate engine rooms.
My online research was pretty inconclusive because I only saw one other for sale with the large single ER.
What I like about the wide body is the half bath upstairs.
The walk around models had 3 heads but they were all downstairs... that made no sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom