New "Kids" Dropping Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Cobber

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
White Rose
Vessel Make
1988 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Greetings all,
Like so many others here, my wife and I are a few months away from stepping away from full time work and starting the next adventure in our lives, whatever that brings. One thing we know that will be a part of our new lives will be "sea duty", which has been missing for so long.

I am a retired US Navy submariner who has chased other dreams since my Navy days, having had the good fortune to work as a corporate pilot (Dassault Falcon 10 for any airdales here), commercial pilot (Northwest Airlink CRJ-900) and in the power generation industry, where we are currently working in Alberta Canada. My wife (dyed in the wool Newfoundlander) has spent over 30 years in the financial and banking industries and we are shortly about to head south to our home in Cocoa Florida and leave the days of full time work behind us.

My wife and I both love and miss the ocean and water in general, me stemming from my time in Uncle Sam’s Underwater Canoe Club, and Cathy from growing up in St. John’s Newfoundland. We’ve both been avid boaters throughout our lives, but have allowed the pressures and schedules associated with “work” get in the way of our love of the water, and we’re making a “course correction” in a couple of months. We are in the initial stages of researching our first trawler, which we know will be a single-engine model in the mid to upper 30’s, which we’re planning on taking on a Great Loop adventure starting in early 2014.

We are very much looking forward to learning from the members of this forum, and hopefully to meeting any members who live in Florida, and those whose home waters we will transit during our voyages. We will endeavor not to ask too many stupid questions (yes, I know, there may not be such a thing as a stupid question, but I also know that the world is full of inquisitive idiots like me!) and will try to research existing threads before posting for information. Be gentle.

Warmest regards

Cathy and Gary
Calgary Alberta TAD (Cocoa FL, Permanent Duty)

As another yank bubblehead living in Canada, let me be the first to say welcome aboard.

Welcome,
Florida is a great place for cruising, on all coasts!
Steve W

Gary: Welcome aboard!
Being a bubble head, did you know Admiral Bill Owens, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and an ex bubble head?

Welcome aboard. We are located in Merritt Island, Fl. right next door to Cocoa. We keep our 29'Prarie at Harbortown Marine. Anything we can do to be of assistance,just ask.

John & Sue Tweedy

Trawler: Sue Marie.

Gary: Welcome aboard!
Being a bubble head, did you know Admiral Bill Owens, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and an ex bubble head?

Glad to be aboard! No, I never had the pleasure of serving with ADM Owens as he completed his command tours just before my time. If I remember correctly ADM Owens was in Naval Academy class of 62, and I was born in '61. When he was commanding the Sixth Fleet I was serving on the west coast (I miss the over the line tournaments!).

Welcome aboard. We are located in Merritt Island, Fl. right next door to Cocoa. We keep our 29'Prarie at Harbortown Marine. Anything we can do to be of assistance,just ask.

John & Sue Tweedy

Trawler: Sue Marie.

John and Sue,

Thank you so much for the note of introduction, and for the offer to help. When we get back down to Cocoa in a couple of months I may send you a note and perhaps we can meet up at Grills or some other fun place. I've stopped in at Harbortown for a look around; although our condo is next to Cocoa Village Marina, since they don't have any fuel or services I will likely be looking for another marina once we settle on our next vessel. I've been reading a bit on the Prairie (along with so many others!) and we would enjoy hearing of your experiences in the local waters.

Warm regards,

Gary

No, I never had the pleasure of serving with ADM Owens as he completed his command tours just before my time. If I remember correctly ADM Owens was in Naval Academy class of 62, and I was born in '61. When he was commanding the Sixth Fleet I was serving on the west coast (I miss the over the line tournaments!).

You are correct!

Bil Owens is my daughter's father in law and we have had quite a few spirited conversations over an excellent glass of wine at his home in Kirkland, WA. He just completed (last year) a beautiful French Country home with a huge dock, on Lake Washington. Bill is one of the "great guys" of our country.

Attachments

• Bill & Walt.jpg
    Bill & Walt.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 111
Welcome aboard Cathy and Gary! If you ever get down to Miami, give me a shout.
Of course you'll get to Miami. It's hard to get to the Keys without going through Miami and of course you'll want to cruise the Keys!

I forgot to warn you, watch out for R.T. Firefly. He is a very strange fellow. Seems to know his way around a boat but his sense of humor is a little warped. Too many Marx Brothers movies. Note that you're a Newbie, others are Senior Members or Gurus. RTF is the only Enigma.

Ah, but like the Enigma Machine, it requires one to transmit and one to receive. My problem is that I not only understand, but actually appreciate his warped sense of humor! Perhaps it IS time for me to retire!

You are correct!

Bil Owens is my daughter's father in law and we have had quite a few spirited conversations over an excellent glass of wine at his home in Kirkland, WA. He just completed (last year) a beautiful French Country home with a huge dock, on Lake Washington. Bill is one of the "great guys" of our country.

Walt,

Please pass on my "thanks" to the Admiral for his service, and to the leadership he provided the submarine service. I hope that Cathy and I will someday have the opportunity to share a glass of wine and some "colorful" and spirited discussions with you and him in the near future.

Gary

Welcome Cobbers!(cobber is older Aussie slang for a friend/mate)
Despite your thread heading, may I respectfully suggest your next thread not be "which anchor is best".
Enjoy the Forum.

Welcome Cobbers!(cobber is older Aussie slang for a friend/mate)
Despite your thread heading, may I respectfully suggest your next thread not be "which anchor is best".
Enjoy the Forum.

Thanks Bruce, excellent advice. I promise not to open the "what type of anchor is best" can of worms...if I want to subject myself to that punishment I can either ask Cathy why she needs another purse, or I could just remove my appendix with a marlin spike.

Back
Top Bottom