North Pacific Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedalsteel

Hello Forumites:

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone was familiar with North Pacific Yachts. They look nice and the website has some good information. Does anyone have any additional information as to how these boats hold up, cruising ability, etc. Looking for any information, pro or con about them. Thanks!!

Hello Forumites:

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone was familiar with North Pacific Yachts. They look nice and the website has some good information. Does anyone have any additional information as to how these boats hold up, cruising ability, etc. Looking for any information, pro or con about them. Thanks!!

A friend of mine order and receieved a NPY 42 2 years ago.n He is very happy with it and the service he got.
If you PM me your e mail address I will give it to him as he likes to talk about it. You can ask him some specific questions.
Jay

Welcome! I believe these are American made??

We bought a new NP36 in 2007. We love our boat. Good solid construction. It came well equipped for a very reasonable price. Trevor Brice is very proud of his line of boats and stands tall providing excellent after sale service and support for his customers. I would have no hesitation purchasing a NP boat.

SteveH

We don't see many of these on The Great Lakes and I have only looked at one. Here are a few things I found.

The water heater was mounted directly on a deck with no airspace underneath and no hose from the pressure relif valve. This will lead to a very short lifespan.

Fuel tanks were not labelled as to type or manufacturer or standard approval.

The water injection elbow at the stuffing box was a flimsy plastic fitting that I would not trust for a minute.

No G.F.C.I. 's were fitted.

The AC and DC grounds were not bonded.

The AC outlets were fastened directly into cut outs in the bulkheads without junction boxes.

The AC and DC systems shared the same panel and did not have physical separation on the back side of the panel.

An inverter was fitted and the case was not grounded.

The engine compartment vents were in the cockpit adjacent to the saloon sliding door. Just where I want leaking exhaust and engine compartment smell to flow.

The fuel fill fitting was not grounded.

No CO or smoke detectors

No automatic fire extinguisher in engine compartment and no fire port

Last edited:
Interesting. Other than CO and smoke detectors and auto fire extinguishers, none of what boatpoker said applies to my boat.

Last edited:
We don't see many of these on The Great Lakes and I have only looked at one. Here are a few things I found.

The water heater was mounted directly on a deck with no airspace underneath and no hose from the pressure relif valve. This will lead to a very short lifespan.

Fuel tanks were not labelled as to type or manufacturer or standard approval.

The water injection elbow at the stuffing box was a flimsy plastic fitting that I would not trust for a minute.

No G.F.C.I. 's were fitted.

The AC and DC grounds were not bonded.

The AC outlets were fastened directly into cut outs in the bulkheads without junction boxes.

The AC and DC systems shared the same panel and did not have physical separation on the back side of the panel.

An inverter was fitted and the case was not grounded.

The engine compartment vents were in the cockpit adjacent to the saloon sliding door. Just where I want leaking exhaust and engine compartment smell to flow.

The fuel fill fitting was not grounded.

No CO or smoke detectors

No automatic fire extinguisher in engine compartment and no fire port

Wow, This does not sound like something anyone could sell---- JohnP

Pedalsteel,

We bought a NP 39 last summer. Trevor was great to deal with as was his agent Andy, here in Connecticut. Our boat was very well equiped with components thoughtfully installed including the waterheater. None of Boatpokers concerns on our boat with the exception of auto fire suppression.

We cruised from Groton, CT to Nantucket to Block Island and Long Island last summer burning 2-2.5 gal per hour at 7 kts. About 85 hours from 1 August through the end of September.

If you have seen the photo (Soundings Magizine) of the NP Northeast rendezvous, we are at the far end the one without a bimini yet.

Feel free to email me datenight@aol.com if you have anymore questions.

Rob

When I was looking at boats, I looked seriously at the NPs. There are many of them in the PNW as Trevor Brice lives in the Vancouver area. So, the company is Canadian owned, but boats are built in China. I think for the price, you get a lot of boat. Having said that, after going on 4-5 used and new ones I determined the "quality feel" was not what I wanted. You know when you walk into a house, boat or sit in a car....there is a certain feel you are looking for. I was looking for a Cadillac or Lincoln, but got the Ford/Chevy "feel".

I did not scrutinize the boat further from a Surveyor or ABYC standpoint (not that I could anyways)....but if the feel is not right, why look further. Of course, they make Chevy's and Fords for a reason and they do fine for most people....unless you are looking for a Cadillac. Full disclosure of course....I have a Cadillac and it feels great, but has caused me more problems than any car I have ever had!:banghead:

Stand By for "SEAHORSE 3" ?

:lol: I really don't know much about the North Pacifics other than what I've read. My understanding is that they're a lot of "bang for the buck" and are a nice looking and well laid out cruiser. (As are the Mainships & they are faster.) But as I stated to Art in an earlier post, I'll wait until the end of March to see where my head is then.:socool:

Having owed 8 different kinds of boats since 1995 & having read everything I can get my hands on, I think I would go in the direction that Moonstruck has gone. That 42 Sabre of his gets you there in a short weather window, is very comfortable and looks fantastic! :thumb:
(Not to mention that it's the right length.)

Wow! I don't recall ever seeing better pics of a boat! I could get interested in one of those PDQ.
But you would have thought they would have gotten the windows sloping the right way.:)

But you would have thought they would have gotten the windows sloping the right way.:)
Vinny, I'm assuming you're suggesting a North Sea Pilot house look?

AKA Nordhavn 40 or Selene 38. You remember the four days worth of posts about the effectiveness of the Bridge windows sloping aft from top to bottom or aft from bottom to top as opposed to vertical.

Just poking the bear.

Obviously you guys aren't familiar with the PT 43' 1-2-B, often called the "Wannabee".

Attachments

• PT 43 1 2 B.jpg
    PT 43 1 2 B.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 267

Thanks for the compliments on Moonstruck, Walt. However the North Sea pilot house look would disqualify Sabres.:D

Thanks for the compliments on Moonstruck, Walt. However the North Sea pilot house look would disqualify Sabres.:D
The Sabre needs a raked windscreen as she's fast enough to benefit from it. I think it's the slow boats that need a North Sea PH. (Whew..)

Sabre 42 North Sea Express

Attachments

• Sabre_42_North Sea_Express.jpg
    Sabre_42_North Sea_Express.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 168

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom