Inshore Pilot House hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Our boat is used for mostly inshore work , and the times we have been most hassled is in the Delaware with 35K on the nose and short steep (its shallow for 90 miles) waves that were stoppers.

We would stick the bow in the top 2ft , which would wash across the bow.

But not even spray would hit the top of the PH.

At sea the waves are never as steep or close together so the boat stays dry.

I'm looking for an idea for a hatch that would go in the pilot house roof that could slide open.

Thought about a house patio sliding door , but its seals might not keep rain out if flat on the PH roof.

Any one see some methods from recycled non boat stuff?

Sure I could build a Great Maurice Griffiths double coaming hatch , but its a lot of work , just to keep the rain out.

IDEAS?

FF

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 5th of April 2009 04:13:18 AM

FF:
I'm trying to understand why the hatch must be a sliding one. And also how big must it be?

Mine works great and is the best hatch on the boat! In the photo below, it is just cracked as I am running. When in the slip or at anchor, it's fully opened and catches the breeze much better than the sliding windows. It's the same as the hatch on most cabins and has a built in shade and screen. Am I missing the point here?

Walt

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 5th of April 2009 08:58:50 AM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 5th of April 2009 09:00:13 AM

Attachments

• pilot house  hatch.jpg
    pilot house hatch.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 114
Here's a better photo.......

Attachments

• seahorse running.jpg
    seahorse running.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 130
I am not sure I would use a sliding hatch. Although sea water may not get that high, heavy rains and windy conditions will blow water under it. We built and installed a teak opening hatch over our main salon that took on some serious green water over the years and never leaked. We added hardware that would allow the hatch to be hinged and open either forward or aft. We have an article in the next issue of Good Old Boat covering the installation. You can find several off the shelf hatches from Bowmar, etc. that will work quite well. They may be more expensive than RV stuff but worth the extra money in a marine environment and will be easy to install. You might try Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale, they always have a bunch of used hatches of different sizes. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Sunday 5th of April 2009 12:32:43 PM

The quest is for a BIG , opening hatch.

The std hatches off an refloated "ocean racer" will max out at 30x30 , nice , but 1/2 of the hole I want.

Dania and big buck Sailorman stop at 30x30 in the scrap pile , the question is BIG??

and secure enough to keep the rain out.

FF

WOW!* You want a "Moon Roof."

This is sliding hatch on my boat. Currently it is in winter storage but if you would like more information I will open it up and get info for you.
Doug

Attachments

• dsc01026.jpg
    dsc01026.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 107
Fred,*This is another possibility- and you could open only 1/2 for those truly sunny days.....

Sorry- just havin' some fun!
Steve

Attachments

• hmdoor.jpg
    hmdoor.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 114
All I gotta say is that I have had a few days on Galveston Bay where the spray went well over a 20ft flybridge.....So I think you were still in "rookie weather"!!!!!

All I gotta say is that I have had a few days on Galveston Bay where the spray went well over a 20ft flybridge.....So I think you were still in "rookie weather"!!!!!

Spray is no more hassle than rain from a CB, not a problem.

And with better hull design from 50 years of USN refining a mostly displacement hull , the spray is simply not generated.

FF

Back
Top Bottom