View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
If you have a Hynautic helm pump no longer supported by Teleflex... Here are a couple of hints from my experience repairing one:

1. If the helm pump is "square"....you MUST put a scribe mark on the separate pieces.. but only on one side. This is actually critical.... especially if when you open the pump and find a series of ball bearings in keepers.... It affects what is referred to as the "timing".....which I think is a wrong term...I think of it as "synchronization" of the movement of the parts inside....

2. After replacing the seals...reassemble the pump in exactly the same order as is was disassembled, and be sure to align the scibe marks, otherwise the pump will not work correctly. I may be hard to turn, or it may just spin...and not move fluid.

I marked mine with a scratch awl...because I was worried that the hydraulic fluid could cause any ink mark to disappear.

I know how many combinations of assembly errors you can make...been there, done that!!

Its easy enough to do...if you can get the seals... I got mine from an industrial seal distributor.... The boys at teleflex...13 years ago...wanted $95 an hour, with no guarantee of repair.... I fixed it myself.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote