Tuffcoat nonskid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David O

Vessel Name
Lucky Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 350 Trawler
4 years ago I had the saturated upper deck & core removed and replace due to the water intrusion from the where the mast mounted in the deck. The fiberglass shell was put back on and patched back in then painted with matching gelcoat with silica type nonskid additive. It looked great, all is well in the world, I feel as if I had it repaired properly and it should last a long time. (not a cheap repair about $7K) Well, now I am getting little spider cracks in the gelcoat and some seams where the replacement plywood core was installed are cracking and allowing a little moisture in get in. It does not go far, as everything was coated and put back with epoxy resin.(2 layers of 1" exterior plywood was used) But, it still required digging in with a dremel, applying the peanut butter looking epoxy resin with the chopped fiberglass and recoating with gelcoat. It has happened in 3 spots approximately 2" x 16" long for a total of about $1,200.00 for the repairs.

I have gone back to the yard that did the original repair and they said it is the deck flexing that is causing the problem. I am not believing that, it is solid as rock and does not flex and the yard is not offering any restitution, warranty or help, just more repairs.

That brings me to the product that Beach House Chuck used on his nonskid deck repairs. Do you think the flexible version of this coating would adhere and seal/waterproof my top deck and solve the problem I am having?

David,
In 1998 I used spray on SPEEDLINER two part polyurathane "truck bed liner" to cover my teak decks, afte addressing water in the core. It is still doing fine.
Then it could only be spraed on with heavy duty equiptment.
Many products out today for home application. I did an article for PASSAGEMAKER mag on the process. I still get inquiries about it. Go for it.
CCC

All I can add is that Tuffcoat has held up extremely well on both of our boats and I see no reason why it would not solve your problem as long as you fill any serious cracks first. Be sure and put it down according to manufacturers instructions. Chuck

Charles,
How is life on the hard? Do you ever wish to come cruising again? I saw your boat in Deltaville during her sale and the decks did indeed still look good (accept for the color) :hide:

Thanks, Chuck and Charles. I will go that route and hope for the best. How can I miss with Capt Chuck's step by step instructions......with photos?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom