Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Anode
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Put it in a vehicle. That's what we do with all the left-over fuel in our Arima. I've siphoned out twenty gallons of fuel that was over a year old and put it in our vehicles that use regular and had no problems. It usually goes into a vehicle with a tank partially filled with fresh gas but I don't know if that makes any difference.

It's also possible to buy ethanol-free fuel. A grange store near us sells this from a normal drive-up pump and we've seen some Arco stations advertising ethanol-free fuel. We use it in our generator at home and will start using it in the Arima and for the GB's dinghy motor this year. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than avgas which around here tends to hover around $6 a gallon.
I've done that dozens of times with no problems. But...

A buddy of mine just dumped 5 gals of year old dinghy gas (straight not oil-mix) in his girl friends BRAND new VW turbo when she came home on empty. All the warning lights came on and it shut itself down on the way to the station to fill it up. Finally got it started after topping off with fresh fuel and a trip to dealer got the Check Engine out.

Just saying.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote