CAV adapter, lower price.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I see that ABC Precision Machining sells the CAV adapter, part # DP-1000 for $80 each. Need 2 for the Lehman 120. I found Tractor Part Mart www.tractorpartmart.com sells the DP-1000 for $43.77 each. Can’t beat those non-marine prices.
icon11.gif

Well, that's inflation for you. When we bought our Parker Hannifin adaptors (same part I believe or maybe not) many years ago they were about $44 each as I recall plus tax.

But even at $80 they are well worth it for all the hassle they eliminate.

It's an adaptor plate that enables the use of a spin-on fuel filter instead of the CAV multi-part canister fuel filter that is original to the FL120 diesel. Each engine has a pair of these filters mounted at the right-rear of the engine. The cannister filters can be a pain in the butt to replace and they have gaskets that are prone to seeping fuel. The adaptor plate mounts in place of the cannister filter and allows the use of a spin-on filter which makes changing them a snap. Plus the spin-ons can be prefilled with fuel which greatly shortens the time and hassle of bleeding the fuel and injection system after these filters are changed. Two adapter kits are required per engine, as there are two cannister filters per engine.

Here is a photo of one of our engines with the adapter plates installed and the spin-on filters they hold. The green filter holder with the bleed screws and all is original to the engine. The adapters are the two silver things between the filter holder and the spin on filters.

According to Bob Smith at American Diesel the CAV filter adapters are one of the four best mods that can be made to a stock FL120.

image-724751848.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Marin. I'm familiar with that leaky thing. Something s wrong here, Ford Lehmans are not supposed to be green or are yours just covered in alge due to deferred maintenance cause you have twins?:lol:

Our engines were originally olive green which was one of the two colors American Marine painted them when they installed the Lehman marinization kits themselves on the Ford Dorset diesels they bought directly from Ford of England thinking this would be less expensive than buying the marinzed engine from Lehman in New Jersey. They did this for a few years in the early 70s and then decided they weren't really saving any money so they went back to buying the already-marinized engines from Lehman again.

There is no difference in the engines other than the paint color. At some point our engines were painted in place by a previous owner. The color he used was Alpine (Detroit) Green which I like a lot better than either American Marine's olive green or Lehman's red.

I see that ABC Precision Machining sells the CAV adapter, part # DP-1000 for $80 each. Need 2 for the Lehman 120. I found Tractor Part Mart www.tractorpartmart.com sells the DP-1000 for $43.77 each. Can’t beat those non-marine prices.
icon11.gif

Having trouble locating it on the tractor part wesite...search doesn't locate it and filter category I don't see it...but it is only my first cup of coffee...;)

The local Ford New Holland dealer in Duncan had no trouble locating and supplying a lift pump for me a couple of months ago. The one before that I ordered from England. This last one was lying on a shelf in Regina - took 2 days to arrive. I think there's a lot of common ag parts on our Lehmans if we can just find a partsman who cares enough to look for them.

Search DP1000. They came up right away for me.

Thanks...was using the dash...

The also have the dual filter base part# C5NE9165A for $25

Sorry for brining up this old thread, but I can't seem to find the DP1000 filter adapters anywhere. Precision appears to have gone out of business?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Has anyone put the spin on adapters on a SP225?

A big advantage of the fuel filter spin on is it can be filled with fuel before installing it.

Usually no bleeding is required,on engine restart.

BUT it must be pre filled with filtered fuel not raw fuel.

I just talked to ABC Precision. Their liability insurance for the product had doubled since it was in the fuel system. That was more than he made selling them.

I've purchased these for boats I've had in the past. On the other hand, I've never bothered to change the filters as I have big Racors on the front end.

I've purchased these for boats I've had in the past. On the other hand, I've never bothered to change the filters as I have big Racors on the front end.

You never change you engine mounted filters!?

What micron are your Racors?

When was the last time someone ordered these parts. It looks like a fantastic idea and would certainly beat the old system.

Capt. Bill. On my last boat I changed them at 1,000 hrs, cut them open, they were clean. I believe the Simms will tolerate 30 microns without a problem.

Gbinterim. They are out of production by the only manufacturer

They are available in England

There is a company called ASAP Supplies,
Racor Spin On Conversion Kit
They have the Parker logo next to the item

They also have a "Drive Force" brand
CAV Filter Metal Bowl Conversion

The price difference seems significant with the Parker conversion costing
$127 and the Drive Force costing $32. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is the full search page:
Search results for: 'CAV filter adapter to CAS'

I have not bought a conversion kit, but it has been on my mind for a while. My CAV filters on my Ford Lehmans seem to leak on occasion for no reason

Last edited:
Dp-1000 fuel filter adapter

These are now available to purchase on ebay. I have the remainder of the supply. Would love to sell the entire line, but until then check ebay.

eBay Motors, Car & Truck Parts, Filters, Fuel Filters

You can contact me here as well. Credit card, paypal or through ebay only.
Thanks!

I don't believe the drive force unit is for the same CAV filter head we've been discussing although I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Dabatzzz,

2 questions. Do these fit a Ford Lehman SP225? And on ebay, it says that there are 5 but that it includes 3 complete assemblies. For the $200 deal, is it 5 or 3. It appears that it is 5, but I would like to confirm that it is indeed 5 complete assemblies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom