Anyone know the range of the Hatteras 58'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GalaxyGirl

It has a 775 gallon tank. Trying to figure out if it has the range for the Carribean run?

Tried googling, found nothing. Thanks.

I have limited info on these vessels but the ones I have seen or read about usually have over 2,000 gal fuel and original power was either twin 4 71 or 6 71 GMs
With that fuel and those engines the range would be more than enough. You state 775 gal fuel on a 58 Hat LRC has this boat been tampered with and if so I wonder why.
Cheers
Benn

Greetings,
Ms. GG. What do you mean by the "Caribbean run"? FT. Lauderdale to West End Bahamas is about 60 miles I think and there IS fuel available throughout the islands as far as I am aware. Heck, 20' center console boats run over to Bimini (Bahamas), about 45 miles on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Caribbean run from the US to Trinidad, no problem. The greatest distance between fuel stops would be about 250 miles; DR and PR. You could shorten that with a little work.

Sorta depends on the rout chosen .

For best sea conditions ( the Carib is directly up wind and up current from the States) the easiest route would be to head towards Bermuda and about 1/2 way there turn right and head for Antigua.

If you like bashing to windward , and take the up the Hispanolia chain route , I would install a day tank for filtered fuel, and a baja filter as a pre-filter for fuel.

Sorta depends on the rout chosen .

For best sea conditions ( the Carib is directly up wind and up current from the States) the easiest route would be to head towards Bermuda and about 1/2 way there turn right and head for Antigua.

If you like bashing to windward , and take the up the Hispanolia chain route , I would install a day tank for filtered fuel, and a baja filter as a pre-filter for fuel.

Maybe when the Christmas winds are blowing but from November 1 to usually mid December, before the trades start blowing, no problem. And again in the Spring, going East is no real problem. Even in the winter with some patience and weather forecasting it can be a comfortable ride, particularly in a Hatteras 58' LRC. Here's part of a weather forecast we get daily.

--Although late Sat2-Sun3 moderate, especially folks moving E along N
Caribbean may want to wait till what I expect will be an EXCEPTIONAL
E-bound opportunity Sun3 night-Tue5, with light E<NE wind/seas...

I have limited info on these vessels but the ones I have seen or read about usually have over 2,000 gal fuel and original power was either twin 4 71 or 6 71 GMs
With that fuel and those engines the range would be more than enough. You state 775 gal fuel on a 58 Hat LRC has this boat been tampered with and if so I wonder why.
Cheers
Benn

It's actually not the LRC model. I was looking at 3 or 4 on Yachtworld. Most of them have 775 gallons of fuel. I'm gussing this must be standard. One of them said it burns 10 gallons at 9 knots, so I figured that was pretty great. Another didn't state fuel burn, but it did say cruise is 17 knots, I think, so I wasn't sure if maybe this one would be less effecient on fuel because it doesn't have the Trawler slow speed at cruise?

I guess I was confused. I didn't realize the longest leg between fuel spots was only 240 miles. So, that's great then, 700 mile range would be fine. Thanks everyone for clarifying. Has anyone done the run. How long did you take? Where did you go? Where did you love? Is fuel more expensive?

I guess I was confused. I didn't realize the longest leg between fuel spots was only 240 miles. So, that's great then, 700 mile range would be fine. Thanks everyone for clarifying. Has anyone done the run. How long did you take? Where did you go? Where did you love? Is fuel more expensive?

We did the trip from Trinidad to NC in 2005 and will do it again starting next week. How long did it take? :rofl: How much time do you have? The last time was 5 months and we didn't see everything. This time, as long as we are in FL by the end of June, we should be fine. I know people who spend the entire season in one island group. Where did we go? We didn't miss much other than DR. We'll stop there this year. Our favorites: the French Territories, Spanish Virgins and Southern Bahamas. We didn't and don't have to worry about fuel. We care enough to get us to FL. Fuel is usually more expensive as it is market driven and imported.

You're getting close aren't you?

There are a bunch of experienced Hatteras 58MY (sounds like you are looking at Series I, 15'10" beam) owners on the Hatteras Owners Forum. 10 gph at 9knots sounds a little aggressive to me, and of course it does not include generator burn. I get around 9 gph at about 8 knots, which I always rationalize as 1 statute mile per gallon, and gives me a little cushion. My boat is tubbier than a Series I 58, being 18'2" beam. It has standard tankage of 1025 gallons.

I think these are some of the nicer yachts out there but personally I cannot justify the fuel usage.

Hey Beachie,
Sounds like they are semi displacement boats and not full displacement cruisers.
May be better looking at the Hat LCRs.
Just my 2c w
Cheers
Benn

I think these are some of the nicer yachts out there but personally I cannot justify the fuel usage.

Sounds like they are semi displacement boats and not full displacement cruisers.
May be better looking at the Hat LCRs.

Well here's another way of looking at it. A Hatteras 58 Series I MY in really good condition sells for $200,000 less than an equivalent condition 58LRC. That's 50,000 gallons of diesel fuel. At 8 knots, lets say the LRC gets twice the mileage of the MY. So, say, 2mpg for the LRC, 1 for the MY. Plug whatever numbers you like in there, this is just for illustration's sake. That's 100,000 miles of cruising until the LRC's efficiency has paid back the cash-out difference. Yes, it is highly likely the LRC will continue to have lower depreciation than the MY, but we are talking cruising costs here.

Is there a full displacement 58 footer that will accommodate GG's family, of quality similar to the Hatteras, closer to the $250,000 mark? I haven't seen one. I looked, maybe not hard enough. The premium when I bought wasn't quite as drastic, but close, and all the boats in question were going for far more 6 years ago. I haven't regretted the choice for a minute.

What's the fuel burn per hour at cruising speed?

For most any boat the speed chosen will detirmine the fuel bill.

Go at the Sq rt of the lwl, cheap,

Add a K or so and the bill will go up 50-100%

Run at "hull speed" and the burn may be triple the sq rt speed.

How fast do you want to empty the fuel tanks?

There are a bunch of experienced Hatteras 58MY (sounds like you are looking at Series I, 15'10" beam) owners on the Hatteras Owners Forum. 10 gph at 9knots sounds a little aggressive to me, and of course it does not include generator burn. I get around 9 gph at about 8 knots, which I always rationalize as 1 statute mile per gallon, and gives me a little cushion. My boat is tubbier than a Series I 58, being 18'2" beam. It has standard tankage of 1025 gallons.

George,
You have a Hat, help me out here please. I am sooo confused. Does your boat have a max speed of something like 19 knots? Are you still able to run it slow at 8 knots and end up with a gallon per hr?

I just don't understand the difference in the LRC's that max at something like 10 knots. If you can go slow in either the LRC or the MY and still get the gallon per hr, what's the difference? or is it that the LRC will give better than a gallon per hr?

The simple answer is that the two boats have different bottoms on them. One is more easily pushed and better behaved in waves and the other is faster with larger engines to get there in less time. The faster you want to get there the more fuel it burns.Larry

The simple answer is that the two boats have different bottoms on them. One is more easily pushed and better behaved in waves and the other is faster with larger engines to get there in less time. The faster you want to get there the more fuel it burns.Larry

ok, but if I run the MY slowly can I still achieve the gallon per hr or is that not possible because of the hull shape?

There again the simple answer is a larger engine will use more fuel even at idle but it should get close. A MY hull at really slow speeds will not ride as nice as the LRC but with the MY you have the abilty to speed up and get there a little earlier if it looks like some uncomfortable weather is ahead.

If I could afford it I'd get an LRC but if nice MY came along, which usually has the larger engines, and the price was right I'd more than likely jump at it. Of course most of my cruising would be coastal or near coast like the carib.Larry

George,
You have a Hat, help me out here please. I am sooo confused. Does your boat have a max speed of something like 19 knots? Are you still able to run it slow at 8 knots and end up with a gallon per hr?

I just don't understand the difference in the LRC's that max at something like 10 knots. If you can go slow in either the LRC or the MY and still get the gallon per hr, what's the difference? or is it that the LRC will give better than a gallon per hr?

I gave you two good on line resources comprised of a number of people who have years of cruising experience with all the Hatteras flavors. But my suggestion is, in order:

1) you turn your computer off

2) buy two books : first, the latest edition of "Voyaging Under Power" updated by others but originally written by Robert Beebe, which discusses in length and detail the advantages and disadvantages of various hull forms for long range cruising, and second "The Nature of Boats" by David Gerr, which takes that discussion even further and in more detail.

3) PAY a naval architect for an hour or so of his time, someone like Tad Roberts on this forum, or Chuck Neville. or George Beuhler who can put that book learning into a practical discussion about what kind of boat to look for for a given purpose.

4) Get some time out on the water; take lessons and charter different boats for various lengths of time.

5) then come back to the forums and you can have an intelligent conversation, and be better able to separate what is BS from what is valuable....for YOU

The more you do your initial research on internet forums the more confused you will get and the more likely that once you think you are no longer confused, you have the wrong perception. I have met so many people who did that and rued the consequences to varying degrees.

As for your question, as LWW kind of answered, and which I in turn will also kind of answer, partially, is that one hull form and its entire power train (engines, reduction gear, shafting and propellors) is designed to go slowly at displacement speed (1.34 x the square root of LWL in feet for a true displacement hull) and no more than that with the maximum possible efficiency. The other is designed go to much faster when a large multiple of horse power is employed with a geometrically proportional amount of fuel required to do so, (in my case, about 4 times the fuel to go twice as fast). There is a much much more to it than that, so turn off the computer and go study some bonafide experts. Right now you are like a planing-capable boat at a speed between displacement and planing. One day you might understand what that means.

George, well said, you're 100% right. You've got to understand the difference in the hull/hp it takes to move and the difference between a displacement and semi displacement hull. The only way it will make sinse is to do some reading.Larry

Galaxy Girl, the steps outlined by George are almost precisely what we did after scouring internet forums with scattered results. There is just too much information coming at you to understand what applies and what doesn't. There is no substitute for chartering when it comes to showing what you like or dislike IMO. Day charters are very eye opening.

I might add that finding a local professional captain that you can relate too may help if you can not locate a naval architect, but do the reading first. This process while not glamorous will flatten out the learning curve by a large factor.

Great advice George.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom