View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I think these are some of the nicer yachts out there but personally I cannot justify the fuel usage.
Quote:
Sounds like they are semi displacement boats and not full displacement cruisers.
May be better looking at the Hat LCRs.
Well here's another way of looking at it. A Hatteras 58 Series I MY in really good condition sells for $200,000 less than an equivalent condition 58LRC. That's 50,000 gallons of diesel fuel. At 8 knots, lets say the LRC gets twice the mileage of the MY. So, say, 2mpg for the LRC, 1 for the MY. Plug whatever numbers you like in there, this is just for illustration's sake. That's 100,000 miles of cruising until the LRC's efficiency has paid back the cash-out difference. Yes, it is highly likely the LRC will continue to have lower depreciation than the MY, but we are talking cruising costs here.

Is there a full displacement 58 footer that will accommodate GG's family, of quality similar to the Hatteras, closer to the $250,000 mark? I haven't seen one. I looked, maybe not hard enough. The premium when I bought wasn't quite as drastic, but close, and all the boats in question were going for far more 6 years ago. I haven't regretted the choice for a minute.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote