Trawler economy at twice the speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baker,
You're right re being judgmental however meeting him may lead me to be led astray to think something untrue as well. But you're probably right John.

And in the classic sense form is following function but he possibly could have achieved his design goals w/o being so radical. Why are ALL the other passage makers in the world conforming to normal aspect ratios? The fact is that he is willing to put up w the downsides Of his radical design to achieve increased range and speed. ALL other designs are fine w/o it. But it is a thing of beauty when radically different things work and work well.

The function of most boats is to sell. Windhorse is not saddled w that extreme limitation.

That hits the nail on the head. Many NAs would love to flex their design muscles but realize the customer base is conservative, so they design what will sale, not sail. The SMG 50 is a good example of a lot of great designs coming together, but isn't selling. Dashew doesn't want to sell a lot, and with that has the freedom to design what works the best for serious cruisers that don't want to be limited to the middle latitudes.

http://www.sail-the-difference.com/..._of_the_easy_to_use_smg_catamaran/smg_50plus/

Might save a bit on fuel for a given speed as compared to a merely mortal trawler, but I'd like to see a comparison of purchase price per square foot of liveable space. Methinks you'd be paying a mighty premium for that extra speed considering the extra length required.

Tad Roberts' "Passagemakerlite" series moves in the same direction but appears to be a more affordable option;

PassagemakerLite 56 fast, seaworthy, fuel-efficient long-range ocean cruiser ~ Power Boat Designs by Tad Roberts

those are some beautiful designs but it would cost a fortune for a slip in addition to the initial cost. But if you wished to cross the ocean and had the money these would be wonderful

I know Janet. As the OP I couldn't nudge that thread drift even with this post......

The lack of hobby horsing in this sea state is beauty to me.
img_130950_0_601e2ecb7bbe09bf9180b26c40a63d35.jpg

Compared to a Nordhavn 43 in a smaller sea state.
Three@Sea Sizzle Reel - YouTube

I know Janet. As the OP I couldn't nudge that thread drift even with this post......

The lack of hobby horsing in this sea state is beauty to me.

Compared to a Nordhavn 43 in a smaller sea state.
Three@Sea Sizzle Reel - YouTube

Your not actually trying to make any comparison between a 65' boat and a 43' boat in the same sea conditions are you ?..

HOLLYWOOD

More of a comparison between a sharp bow, narrow beam boat and the Nordhavn.

Willy is a short boat and does a lot of "hobby horsing" too.

BUT she NEVER pounds!

Wonder if that fat midships centerboard on Windhorse was part of the original design....

deckofficer,
Is that sports car/hot rod an Allard?
You could post on "Off Topic".
Depending on how much you have to share.

Last edited:
The Trendsetter certainly has impressive performance - a 40 ft boat that hits 20 kts with a single 221 hp engine!

The narrow-beam style harkens back to pre-WWII designs, when boats had to be more efficient out of necessity since the engines of that time did not produce much power for their size and weight. There is certainly much to be said for a narrow length-to-beam ratio, better speed and fuel efficiency as well as good seakeeping abilities. Those hulls don't seem to truly "plane" but rather slice through the water, a sort of 'super-displacement' motion.

There are not many boats built that way today. Most buyers want maximum living space for a given length, and the narrow beam design gives that away. Andreyale, a French boat, comes to mind. I believe they built 30, 40, and 46 ft narrow-beam express-type cruisers, a (to me) very attractive retro-design with lots of wood. Excellent performance with low power. I don't think they ever sold more than a handful in the U.S.

Last edited:
Put two of those together and...voila....you have a catamaran with the space and performance desired....

LOL! Yes, you do, but that would make too much sense!

Those things do get around ... here's one I saw in Fiji last year.

Attachments

• FIJIBOAT2.jpg
    FIJIBOAT2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 168
I have started thinking about a 10 knot cargo boat.
cargo_100-600x429.jpg

Last edited:
I have started thinking about a 10 knot cargo boat.

I would love to see more pictures and read more information on your current boat bgm. You haul a lot of load at great speed with minimal HP from what I've managed to piece together.

I like the drawing for your next boat too.

If you find a listing, post it. However, I'd bet people are lined up to buy it already.

The problem is that people live in space. Generally less space = less long term comfort, assuming good design of the interior spaces.

less space = less long term comfort

Not at all, the usual person not sleepimg requires about 4 sq ft of space.

Comfort is determined by how comfortable the space being occupied actually IS .

Thats it , sitting in a great fitting recliner gets zero from a 20x20 main cabin that is windowless and unventilated..
Sitting in the same chair in a boat 8ft wide with big huge windows is a far superior existence.

Its not mere volume , its great design that is needed.

Proper design required the persons aboard to be able to do their tasks with comfort and ease , a cabin that echoes is hardly required.

Hand grips for movement in rough weather are more important than the size of the piano.

Last edited:
Read their entire blog from end to end while bored at work to night. Lots of interesting thoughts behind that design!

Thanks to OP. for this fabulous read, and thanks to the Dashews for thinking this fat outside the box:)

Back
Top Bottom