Hate fishing, but gotta do it....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got to get the gills out.

Trust me on this I know. Even iced they will stay fresher longer if you.

GET THE GILL OUT.:)

SD

:thumb:I usually slit the belly then cut under the jaw to get a grip grab the gill mess and pull towards the anus. This usually takes everything out. I have a fresh water washdown which i then use to hose the fish off before burying him in crushed ice. Bigger fish require a little more knife work

How did you catch all those shrimp? They're looking good - and I want some too...

Tiny spearguns.

Hahahaha toothpicks and rubber bands lol

Awesome. You guys are such great teachers. I'm guessing you use them like catapults? As it happens I have some toothpicks and rubber bands in the galley drawer. Trouble is, the shrimp keep darting back into their holes when I get close. How do you get them to stay still long enough to load up the toothpicks?

"How do you get them to stay still long enough to load up the toothpicks?"

Quinaldine, you squirt the shrimp with it, he goes to sleep, grab him with your left hand and spear him with your right.

Use a long tooth pic and you have a shrimp kabob.:thumb:

Oh look no need to thank me, but seeing as you did, you're very welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Brotha, I think she was talking about my advice about the puppies:D:D:D
Be carefull about how much gill you remove, cutting the head or tail off will get you in trouble in some places.

Awesome. You guys are such great teachers. I'm guessing you use them like catapults? As it happens I have some toothpicks and rubber bands in the galley drawer. Trouble is, the shrimp keep darting back into their holes when I get close. How do you get them to stay still long enough to load up the toothpicks?

Well, I didn't want to say but seeing as you bought it up, yes we are great teachers. But let's talk about the prawns and not how awesome we both are.

1.) These are prawns. Not shrimp
2.) You need to go SCUBA Diving at night in about 15mtrs of water.
3.) The prawns are out in the open feeding and having "relations" with each other so you just place the prawn net over them, give it a shake and they swim up in to the net getting tangled.

Easy

Well, I didn't want to say but seeing as you bought it up, yes we are great teachers. But let's talk about the prawns and not how awesome we both are.

1.) These are prawns. Not shrimp
2.) You need to go SCUBA Diving at night in about 15mtrs of water.
3.) The prawns are out in the open feeding and having "relations" with each other so you just place the prawn net over them, give it a shake and they swim up in to the net getting tangled.

Easy

What kind of a bloke are you mate, during the day you build boats and at night you herd shrimp?i.. geez.... when do you sleep:)

Brotha, I think she was talking about my advice about the puppies:D:D:D
Be carefull about how much gill you remove, cutting the head or tail off will get you in trouble in some places.

:huh: Ummm you've lost me mate. This is to do with post #47 & #48 :whistling:

For many of the same reasons aforementioned, I don't know much about fishing, but I was recently in St. Thomas aboard a 43 ft. Ketch with a couple who have one circumnavigation and several atlantic crossings under their belt. While underway, they caught a 4 ft. Kingfish with just a troll line. Once they got it aboard, the wife raced into the cabin for a bottle of rum and poured it over and through the gills of the fish, which seemed to bring it totally to rest. Later, they told me it was a humane habit they had developed with so many years on the sea, and if I hadn't seen it myself, I would think someone was pulling my leg. I swear it happened exactly that way, and they claim it always does. A shot of rum?

For many of the same reasons aforementioned, I don't know much about fishing, but I was recently in St. Thomas aboard a 43 ft. Ketch with a couple who have one circumnavigation and several atlantic crossings under their belt. While underway, they caught a 4 ft. Kingfish with just a troll line. Once they got it aboard, the wife raced into the cabin for a bottle of rum and poured it over and through the gills of the fish, which seemed to bring it totally to rest. Later, they told me it was a humane habit they had developed with so many years on the sea, and if I hadn't seen it myself, I would think someone was pulling my leg. I swear it happened exactly that way, and they claim it always does. A shot of rum?

Oh NOooooo .... if my wife poured my rum over a fish I had caught, I'd be flapping around the deck worse than the bloody fish would have done! Lol

Spike the fish and be done with it.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-the-most-humane-way-to-kill-a-fish-intended-for-eating_451.html

Well if you're in Perth and have two days free, I can get you certified mate. I'm a Part-time dive instructor for the SSI team (SCUBA Schools International)
You can do your written stuff over the net at home and the rest is in the water.
No regrets! Get in and get it done mate!
Hendo, if I am in sight of getting over to Perth again, I'll take you up on that....also I shall expect a look at the 'Axe', and possibly a quick trip out..? Don't panic, sadly unlikely to be soon, so she will be finished, I have no doubt of that.

It really does a great job of subduing a big fish so you can bleed and clean a thrashing large fish. The trick is if you drag them for a while they tire out and this helps too... but I have lost the back end of fish I did this to to larger predators if left there too long. Back at the start of this topic I suggested this, using a bottle that has a flip lid to squirt small amounts of your hard booze of choice.. tequila is mine. It also lessens that pesky fish oil smell in the boat
HOLLYWOOD

Hendo, if I am in sight of getting over to Perth again, I'll take you up on that....also I shall expect a look at the 'Axe', and possibly a quick trip out..? Don't panic, sadly unlikely to be soon, so she will be finished, I have no doubt of that.

No worries :)

I guess they go to the happy fishy land blitzed! Maybe not a bad way to go?

Erm.... why?

And the booze thing. I really like that. I get so upset when they're flapping about suffocating. Not to mention the blood they spray :(

Erm.... why?

And the booze thing. I really like that. I get so upset when they're flapping about suffocating. Not to mention the blood they spray :(

I assume its for the same reason as over here SS. If you catch certain fish you are not allowed to fillet them onboard. For example, In relation to coral reef fish, a recreational fisher:

must not possess, on board a boat, a fish other than in any of the following forms-whole, gilled, gutted or filleted

may possess, on board a boat, a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm, and the skin and scales of the fillet are attached to the fillet

must not return fish that have been taken ashore from a boat and filleted, and then returned to a boat, unless the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm and skin of the fillet is attached to the fillet

There are very serious implications to those that disobey rules like this and penalties can range from on the spot fines, impounding of fishing equipment including the boat, if you are a trailer "fisherperson" (that quotes for you saucy) they can and will cease the trailer and car and for repeat offenders ... Jail

Thanks Hendo, couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Hendo, couldn't have said it better myself.

Is this the same sort of thing as over there?

I'm just going off what it's like over here. You guys can carry guns and sh!t and we're not so might pay to check local laws ;-)

Same law?
Pretty much, you can't cut the tail or head off. The best we can do if you have a captain license and file a float plan you can start cleaning the fish on the way in. We are only allowed to keep a two day worth of catch if you have two people on board with captain's tickets. I guess if your cooking them over night they can bust you but I would hope they don't get that bad. I guess I should be happy that we can still carry guns onboard.

Back at the start of this topic I suggested this, using a bottle that has a flip lid to squirt small amounts of your hard booze of choice.. tequila is mine. It also lessens that pesky fish oil smell in the boat
HOLLYWOOD

Woops.....sorry about that Hollywood. I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thread. Anyway, I suppose that would be true....I mean, what does the fish care.....or does he. Maybe the fish deserves the best for his last drink. :thumb:

I assume its for the same reason as over here SS. If you catch certain fish you are not allowed to fillet them onboard. For example, In relation to coral reef fish, a recreational fisher:

must not possess, on board a boat, a fish other than in any of the following forms-whole, gilled, gutted or filleted

may possess, on board a boat, a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm, and the skin and scales of the fillet are attached to the fillet

must not return fish that have been taken ashore from a boat and filleted, and then returned to a boat, unless the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm and skin of the fillet is attached to the fillet

There are very serious implications to those that disobey rules like this and penalties can range from on the spot fines, impounding of fishing equipment including the boat, if you are a trailer "fisherperson" (that quotes for you saucy) they can and will cease the trailer and car and for repeat offenders ... Jail

well that settles it, I'll just eat the bugers then!

Catch, eat, cook and deny :-D

In Oregon you may take one limit a day but you can have two limits in your possession unless you are home then you can have all you want. So if my boat at some point becomes my home then.........hummmm

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom