BBQ on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertramp

Vessel Name
" Supertramp "
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
What do you use electric BBQ, except Magma also other brands?
Norbert

I use propane stove and Magma propane bbq, no generator. A lot of the boats at the boat show had electric stoves and funnily enough no generator. Guess they will be on shore power a lot.

All the time!

Attachments

• 463008_3612499365403_1852946431_o.jpg
    463008_3612499365403_1852946431_o.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 145
nice stuff,
i think for the Fly the propane BBQ es a smart solution.
Norbert

Some of the marinas are not allowing use of a gas grill while at the dock. The number is growing. Electric might be a better choice.

Some of the marinas are not allowing use of a gas grill while at the dock. The number is growing. Electric might be a better choice.

which is your favorit electric model ?
Norbert

which is your favorit electric model ?
Norbert

Sorry I can't be of help there. We do have gas and that is how I know that there is starting to be a problem with using it.

River Dunes has a ban on it in NC and depending on whose is there Beaufort City Docks does as well.

I have a friend who swears by his George Foreman so much that I took one we don't use at home to the boat as my backup.

Greetings,
I, in fact use an old Magma propane-pre hinged lid days. Along the same lines as the OP's question. HOW is your BBQ oriented? I notice in Mr. Gulfstar 36's picture, it seems to be mounted outboard of the railing. Myself, it's mounted inboard of the railing. My way of thinking is that if the SPAM luncheon meat falls off the grill it will land on the deck rather than in the drink. Thoughts?

Greetings,
I, in fact use an old Magma propane-pre hinged lid days. Along the same lines as the OP's question. HOW is your BBQ oriented? I notice in Mr. Gulfstar 36's picture, it seems to be mounted outboard of the railing. Myself, it's mounted inboard of the railing. My way of thinking is that if the SPAM luncheon meat falls off the grill it will land on the deck rather than in the drink. Thoughts?

It.s a good point ,

i am looking for a new, big BBQ for the kitchen on the Flybridge.
i have many place and two gens, also i am open for many models ( BBQ models !! :))
Norbert

I'm looking at pellet grill.it's made by Louisiana grill

Myself, it's mounted inboard of the railing. My way of thinking is that if the SPAM luncheon meat falls off the grill it will land on the deck rather than in the drink. Thoughts?

RT,

Best I can tell the excuse or problem has to do with the open flame and not where the food might fall. Both times I have been told it is a Fire Department issue. The first time at RD I figured it was due to the fact if you cook on your boat you won't use their facilities. But the Beaufort City dock has no vested interest. So it may be Fire Code.

Greetings,
Hmmmm....fire code. The distance differential between in and outboard mount is only about 1.5' or so. People have open flame inside their boats (LPG ranges). With an electric grill, that SPAM can still flare up into open flame. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning. Where would that leave someone like Mr. supertramp whose "outdoor BBQ pit" is on the FB?

Propane Sea-B-Que by Dickinson. No issues with using exterior propane grills in our marina(yet),

Propane Sea-B-Que by Dickinson. No issues with using exterior propane grills in our marina(yet),

Its to little...for two persons ,
we are 6 or 7 Persons.
Norbert

I have a big Magma propane grill that mounts on a FB railing. It needs rebuilding after years of use and abuse, that's my winter project. Actually last winter's too but it kinda sort worked so got delayed. I bought a Weber Q this summer as a fill in after getting recs on another boating forum and more so after a guy on a Defever that was here for a few months really sold me on it. It out-cooks the fancier Magma in its prime. I still "plan" on rebuilding the Magma, some day, maybe, I think. It definitely looks cooler..

DSC_0123_2.JPG

HOW is your BBQ oriented?

Mr RT, sir.
Back in our sailing days, we kept the BBQ over the railing. One reason was the cockpit was not overly commodious. The main reason, however, was the BBQ used charcoal and we didn't want any stray coals falling on the boat. Our new BBQ is gas and on the flybridge railing.

Its to little...for two persons ,
we are 6 or 7 Persons.
Norbert

They make two sizes. We have the smaller one and have cooked for as many as six with it. The bigger one, if they still make it, is considerably larger.

Up until last week I had a Galley Mate 1500, terrific BBQ.It's now free to anyone who wants it, provided you can dive, maybe a job for Hendo.A boat leaving a mooring in a strong wind took our rail and BBQ with him. :mad:

Attachments

• boat bash 014.jpg
    boat bash 014.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 102
I use propane stove and Magma propane bbq, no generator. A lot of the boats at the boat show had electric stoves and funnily enough no generator. Guess they will be on shore power a lot.

that makes alot of sense ....maybe they had an inverter?

Greetings,

That would certainly save the unsuspecting crabs from a slow death :).

Greetings,
Hmmmm....fire code. The distance differential between in and outboard mount is only about 1.5' or so. People have open flame inside their boats (LPG ranges). With an electric grill, that SPAM can still flare up into open flame. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning. Where would that leave someone like Mr. supertramp whose "outdoor BBQ pit" is on the FB?

Rules are like laws...and you're still wondering why and how some come about????? I think not...you are too tuned in...:D

Greetings,

Rt they was barbe-ing some kind of plain old sea creatures and if they fall overboard you just catch some more. Don't they call that the bounty of the sea.....or is it booty of the sea?
Never had much luck baiting spam to a hook or pot. Besides, barbecued spam on a piece of sourdough, tomatoes, lettuce,,,,pretty good....wouldnt want to loose that overboard.

how bout deep fried spam with sweet tater fries?:socool:

Hey I lost only one wing that day :rofl:

I guess it depends on how how sloppy your food is. The wings marinate 2 days in a secret mixture.

Greetings,

BBQ'ing aboard at the dock is pretty much forbidden in our area. Covered slips in our area is the reason given and as it seems so universal I assume the state Fire Marshal made the call.

However, BBQ facilities complete with tables are provided by the majority of the marinas free of charge off the docks. Some have propane grills while others provide park style grills for your charcoal.

Why must I continue to remind you people (and the southerners here should know better)... Those devices are grills. Neither are hot dogs and hamburgers. Nor do you invite people over for a barbeque. Bar-B-Q is a certain style of cooking or the result of it. :socool::rofl:

Now please, continue your discussion about grills for your boat.

Tom-

I'm surprised no one mentioned the big green egg. I was going to build a holder for a green egg and mount it. Is that going to burn my boat down again?

Back
Top Bottom