New from New Zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greekiwi

Hello all from New Zealand,
I am new to this site and new to power boating.
I have spent most of my life bashing around the South Pacific, Indian Ocean and the Med in sailboats. Now that I am all grown up, but no more mature, I have gone to the "dark side" and a few months ago imported a mainship 350 from the States. A lovely boat, but my eyes keep looking at the horizon and soon discovered two things, I enjoy going in the direction I want to go, and I want to go in that direction further than the Mainship will allow me. I now have a contract to purchase a 2000, Defever 49 cockpit trawler with Niad stabilizers. Any input from owners of this model, or any advise at all will be greatly appreciated. Surveys over the next 10 days, then committed. Any buyers out there for a Mainship that is in New Zealand? Over 140 Islands at our back door.
Many thanks.
Steve

Welcome greekiwi. Is your boat at Opua, or up the river somewhere? Please put up some pics if you have some. In earlier days We spent some time there. Cruised the B of Is in our trailer yachting days before we moved to Oz.

Hello Peter,
Thanks for the welcome. We are on the Doves Bay marina, Kerikeri. I cruised into Brisbane from the Solomans some years back and later bought a house on the canals in Mooloolaba. Lovely area. If we proceed with the Defever, we would look at NZ to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Solomons and over to Queensland. Not yet sure how to post photos, will look, otherwise will find a 6 year old to show me.
Cheers
Steve

Oh, right. I forgot things would have changed over time. There was no marina there back in 87/88.
Pics are pretty easy if already on you computer or tablet. You will find instructions in the tech info board. Just make sure you use the advanced rather than quick reply box.

Hey Steve, we're in the process of doing what you've done. We never really made it back to NZ & have put the yacht on the market here in Post Vila. Just need to buy something else, probably a doer upper as I'm a marine engineer and labour here is very affordable plus marine imports attract 5% duty tops, hardwoods, ply etc from Fiji are duty free.

MI GLAD TUMAS,
How is that?
We love cruising Vanuatu and looking forward to seeing the beautiful Country again.
Anything we can do from our side, let us know. Say high to Norm Sanson from us.
Cheers
Steve

Welcome Steve,
Is the DeFever in NZ or are you importing.
Some nice units around locally. Is the cockpit unit a raised pilot house or other.
Give us more information we are all ears.
Come back to Mooloolaba anytime.
Cheers
Benn

Thank you for the invitation and we look forward to the Kava. Vao Island Kava was still very traditional when we visited, where the ladies chewed it and spat the contents into the kava bowl for us to drink. Perhaps I should be more PC here as I am a new member.
Lukim yu, tata
Steve

Hi Benn,
It is amazing that all repies to my message are from this side of the world. The Defever is the 44+5 if that makes sense. Has huge covered deck space for tropical cruising. The boat is in NZ and built for NZ, therefore all 240V which is helpful. Importing our Mainship from Florida was so simple I thought of going back, but this Defever saved us the trouble as I feel we need the huge fuel tanks, big tonnage plus the stabilizers to do what we would like to do. My first cruise was to Africa with no motor, no radio no life raft, so I guess I have come a long way since those days.
Cheers
Steve

Steve,
The other guys are probably not awake yet!!
Cheers
Benn

Thank you for the invitation and we look forward to the Kava. Vao Island Kava was still very traditional when we visited, where the ladies chewed it and spat the contents into the kava bowl for us to drink. Perhaps I should be more PC here as I am a new member.
Lukim yu, tata
Steve
I just got back from Wala Island, a few miles south of Vao, the kava is prepared a bit more pc nowadays.

Welcome Greekiwi- I'm up and on my first espresso of the morning. Glad to have you - the Southern Hemisphere humor is my style and I am a Defever fan. Look forward to the pictures.

Many thanks Chip. I think I can smell your espresso! I don't want to test fate and put up pictures until the deal is done and dusted. Never been to your area, but in my last life I got married in Rhode Island, lived in New Hampshire, Washington State and a year in Dutch Harbor Alaska. A good experience for a small town Kiwi boy.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom