Hate fishing, but gotta do it....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of crab is that?
Almost looks like a king crab.
These are Tanner.

Attachments

• cooked.jpg
    cooked.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 65
This one was still alive. Ouch! :eek:

Damn.. that will leave a mark for sure... Butt it looks like it missed all the important parts. When we were cruising we did a lot of spear fishing... and I still do up here in the frigid Northwest. In warm water without all the heavy gear you can do pretty well in most places.
In a ironic turn of events I taught the Admiral to spearfish.. the issue I had was that she didn't like pulling the fish she shot off the spear.. so I would hand her my gun and remove the fish. Problem was by the time I had her gun ready to go she would have shot another fish with my gun.. I was relegated to fish removal and transportation.

But in her defense she is deadly with a spear gun, and we never had a lack of fish in the freezer. A side benefit is having the spear gun aboard as a possible defense weapon in countries that do not allow firearms. even if they dont do much the perception is that they will.. I guess the guy in the above pic will attest.

Last month I posted about trolling a meat line while underway.. still the best way to boat fish in my opinion. My twist is to keep cheap hard alcohol ( tequila is my favorite because I like the smell ) in a squirt bottle in the cockpit. One good squirt to the gills of a fish and they get docile in a hurry.. then bleed them while they are loaded.

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• DSCN3000.jpg
    DSCN3000.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN2953.jpg
    DSCN2953.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 74
What kind of crab is that?
Almost looks like a king crab.
These are Tanner.

SD: The locals say they are related to the spider crab. The San Blas Islands of Panama has been the only place we have seen them in the wild. They seem to prefer lots of coral with a mixed sandy bottom in 2-10' of water. They were tasty with about as much meat as a 6.5" dungeness. Surprising the claws didn't have much meat for their size.

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm a Commercial diver, preparing to cast off in the spring and sail off into the sunrise on our other boat, a Kalik 40.

I hate fishing. I tried it a few times, both with HWMO and with customers who charter our boat for trolling and line fishing, but got all upset when they had to kill the fish, but I guess it's a skill I'll have to learn sooner or later. If I want to eat!

So far I have picked up some interesting pointers from you guys, and look forward to reading more!

I quit killing fish many years ago but i still fish. I keep only bleeders or fish that would die anyway. I do enjoy eating rockfish.

I quit killing fish many years ago but i still fish. I keep only bleeders or fish that would die anyway. I do enjoy eating rockfish.

Say what? You don't kill fish but you still fish and only keep the bleeders that you caught? WTF! :confused:

Edit: Maybe the WTF is a little strong. It's after 6 in my time zone. But really, you stopped killing fish and are still fis...

Last edited:
SaucySailoress;After the trauma of reading all this, I think I might just turn veggie, and live off lentils and rice when we cast off!! What's a hospitality officer, BTW?

It came from the first line of a tongue in cheek thread I posted a few years ago welcoming new members to the forum and showing them around the good ship TF. :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Mr. Larry M. Ah, I'm exactly the same.

Fillet-And-Release-License-Plate.jpg

Ms. SS. Mr. Andy G is the hospitality officer 'cause he's gonna buy me a beer when I show up at his dock....

Last edited:
I think were having some blue crab cakes tonight. Can't wait. Saucy if that's the only issue your going to have consider yourself lucky. It's not a bad problem to have...

Say what? You don't kill fish but you still fish and only keep the bleeders that you caught? WTF! :confused:

Edit: Maybe the WTF is a little strong. It's after 6 in my time zone. But really, you stopped killing fish and are still fis...

Yes. I love to fish but one day when i was watching a large sturgeon toy with me watching him position himself like he and the water were one I suddenly realized how beautiful he was and began to think. I thought here was a creature that was around when dinosaurs were on earth that now is threatened with extinction because of man. Watched him as he used the current to test my tackle to its fullest and thought what a crime it would be if such a beautiful creature should join the dinosaurs just for the pleasure of a fat beer drinking clod like me. From that day on it was catch and release all except for bleeders. By the this time i had already been using barb less hooks for years so the only change was i ate less fish.

Greetings,
Mr. Larry M. Ah, I'm exactly the same.

Fillet-And-Release-License-Plate.jpg

Ms. SS. Mr. Andy G is the hospitality officer 'cause he's gonna buy me a beer when I show up at his dock....

RT, you would be welcome aboard and for your information my boat was always known for always having plenty of beer. I learned how to raft from fellow boaters out of brew on hot summers days. Today i don't drink much beer but i make a point of always having a well stocked bar for unexpected kerthunks. A kerthunk is the sound a boat makes when its thirsty crew attempts to board.
Thinking about it, ais isnt such a good idea after all............

bfloyd A kerthunk is the sound a boat makes when its thirsty crew attempts to board.

As distinct from the ARRRRRRGH sound a pirate makes when a thirsty crew attempts to board.

bfloyd A kerthunk is the sound a boat makes when its thirsty crew attempts to board.

As distinct from the ARRRRRRGH sound a pirate makes when a thirsty crew attempts to board.

Well mate, the sound you describe reminds me of the sound a boarder makes after chugging the first cold brew on a hot day then discovering all the rest are warm.:)

Easy now you can do it.:thumb:

It's like those survival shows with people eating bugs. :blush:

Just don't think about it.:rofl:

SD

Dont forget to take water so you don't have to chuck a bear grylls and drink ya own piss! Haha :-D

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Attachments

• image-1153496730.png
    image-1153496730.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 187
Come on you guys, you're killing me. One of the reasons we're out here is for the seafood. Fishing is one of the most exciting things you can do with your clothes on. And it's not just about rod and reel. These are all from warm water.

Agreed. Leave the rods at home and Dive Dive Dive :-D

So relaxing and there is so much to catch to eat ;-)

Attachments

• image-931533839.jpg
    image-931533839.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2923154337.jpg
    image-2923154337.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3563513642.jpg
    image-3563513642.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2102542770.jpg
    image-2102542770.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3423668316.jpg
    image-3423668316.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 83
  • image-676124290.jpg
    image-676124290.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3133430500.jpg
    image-3133430500.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image-481404518.jpg
    image-481404518.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-261128973.jpg
    image-261128973.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-647964831.jpg
    image-647964831.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1767127492.jpg
    image-1767127492.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-759782993.jpg
    image-759782993.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-4113434498.jpg
    image-4113434498.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 79
I do agree on the diving thing. I have always loved snorkeling, and my one regret was never having the chance to get my scuba certificate. Maybe one day I will..? I just love under the water - always have - ever since as a farm kid I lay in the creek with goggles and snorkel watching the cockabullies and eels swim by...

I do agree on the diving thing. I have always loved snorkeling, and my one regret was never having the chance to get my scuba certificate. Maybe one day I will..? I just love under the water - always have - ever since as a farm kid I lay in the creek with goggles and snorkel watching the cockabullies and eels swim by...

Well if you're in Perth and have two days free, I can get you certified mate. I'm a Part-time dive instructor for the SSI team (SCUBA Schools International)

You can do your written stuff over the net at home and the rest is in the water.

No regrets! Get in and get it done mate!

Last edited:
Dont forget to take water so you don't have to chuck a bear grylls and drink ya own piss! Haha :-D

Amazing, thank you. I can't believe I ever survived without the awesome gems I am picking up here.

Agreed. Leave the rods at home and Dive Dive Dive :-D

So relaxing and there is so much to catch to eat ;-)

How did you catch all those shrimp? They're looking good - and I want some too...

One thing about fresh fish.

I had a fellow working for me as he finished his masters degree as a fish biologist.
His area of study was what makes fish spoil.

When you catch a fish the first thing to do is bleed the fish next is to remove the gills or the head and gills.

Bacteria first forms in the gills and begins to spoil the fish.

So to keep the fish fresh the longest. Get the gills out ASAP

SD

Last edited:

I had a fellow working for me as he finished his masters degree as a fish biologist.

When you catch a fish the first thing to do is bleed the fish next is to remove the gills or the head and gills.

SD

SD: You're absolutely right and in warm climates, in addition, you have to chill them ASAP, particularly with tuna. Tuna are a particularly bloody fish that will actually heat up while being caught. Here's our favorite, surf and turf (tuna and tails)! :)

Attachments

• Surf and Turf.jpg
    Surf and Turf.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 83
I kind of figgured everyone knows about chilling but the thing about the gills is what most people don't know.

When the Copper River reds ar running. And the fish is worth about a $100.00 each on the market. This is one of the first things done by the commercial guys.

SD

It means to get the blood out of the fish.

Usually by passing a knife through the gills while the fish is still alive so they bleed to death.

SD

SD

I guess thats what i do but a bit diferent. I gut them as soon as caught which bleeds them pretty fast then bury then in ice. No live well stringer or box, just catch, clean, ice then back to fishing.

"How did you catch all those shrimp? They're looking good - and I want some too... "

Tiny spearguns.

QUOTE=skipperdude;130594]I kind of figgured everyone knows about chilling but the thing about the gills is what most people don't know.
SD[/QUOTE]

SD: You guys eat, sleep and sh.t fish up there. I run into a lot of people who are just getting going, they may have been living inland or never had the opportunity to fish other than at a supermarket.

They have just caught their first fish behind the boat. The usually say 4 things, "what is it?", "I don't know?, get the book" and "can we eat it?". Sometimes I feel like I'm around my 6 year old nephew when he caught his first fish. :dance:

Last edited:
QUOTE=skipperdude;130594]I kind of figgured everyone knows about chilling but the thing about the gills is what most people don't know.
SD

SD: You guys eat, sleep and sh.t fish up there. I run into a lot of people who are just getting going, they may have been living inland or never had the opportunity to fish other than at a supermarket.

They have just caught their first fish behind the boat. The usually say 4 things, "what is it?", "I don't know?, get the book" and "can we eat it?". Sometimes I feel like I'm around my 6 year old nephew when he caught his first fish. :dance:[/QUOTE]

chuckle.....brings back memories of the things people do with there first fish like just stare at it flopping on the deck for what seems like hours. Had one lady get mad at the poor bass cause he quit fighting:)

I guess thats what i do but a bit diferent. I gut them as soon as caught which bleeds them pretty fast then bury then in ice. No live well stringer or box, just catch, clean, ice then back to fishing.

Got to get the gills out.

Trust me on this I know. Even iced they will stay fresher longer if you.

GET THE GILL OUT.:)

SD

Back
Top Bottom