what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our Californian has horizontally mounted strainers (Groco's) like this one. The green wire, in our boat is #8 battery cable, is part of the bonding system. Were the unit mine, I'd probably replace the components, the implications of that white powder would make me nervous.
They certainly did me, made my brain go blank and the reason why i started this post.
If i buy the boat and that looks likely the first thing will be to replace that corroded thing

My tractor is blue and this defever has a blue engine, Ford blue. Could this mean that this is a Ford engine and not aFord engine marinized by another company?

So far as I know Ford of England themselves did not marinize the diesels they made. (But I could be wrong.)

So I very much doubt the engine in the boat you're looking at was marinized by Ford itself. If it's an FL120, the marinization parts, particularly the exhaust manifold, will say "EconoPower" (sp?) on them and maybe the name Lehman will be on there, too, on some of the marinization components.

A fairly large number of companies all over the world marinized diesels made by Ford of England and they used all sorts of colors. It's also possible the engine in the boat you're looking at was repainted--- as ours were--- by a previous owner.

If an engine is removed from a boat for some reason--- install new fuel tanks, overhaul the engine, etc.--- it's not unheard of for the owner to take the opportunity to have the engine repainted, particularly if the existing paint is getting old and worn or missing in places. And if he doesn't like the existing color he can have it painted whatever color he wants.

I don't like red engines, for example, so if I had one or two and they came out of the boat for some reason I'd be inclined to repaint them in another color before they went back in.

I don't like red engines, for example, so if I had one or two and they came out of the boat for some reason I'd be inclined to repaint them in another color before they went back in.
Someone I knew had one of those Perkins that lies half on its side, painted silver. He was horrified I had a red engine, a Perkins back then, exclaiming "red means Stop".
My present FLs are red, no plan to do anything but touch up the red as necessary. But silver would look nice.

Someone I knew had one of those Perkins that lies half on its side, painted silver. He was horrified I had a red engine, a Perkins back then, exclaiming "red means Stop".
My present FLs are red, no plan to do anything but touch up the red as necessary. But silver would look nice.

thats been buggin me, Fords color is blue why are some io them red i wonder?

thats been buggin me, Fords color is blue why are some io them red i wonder?

Ford's own engine color is or was blue (the engine in the 1983 F-250 I bought new was gray, however).

The Lehman marinization company in New Jersey bought the base engines from Ford of England, probably in primer only, installed their own marinization kit and sold the engines to the boat manufactures as Ford Lehman engines. The color they chose for their products was red.

So far as I know Lehman had no association whatsoever with Ford other than they bought a lot of their base diesel engines--- Dorset, Dover, etc---- from Ford of England. For whatever reason Lehman chose red to be their own product color and that's what color all Lehman engines were regardless of who made the base engine and what that company's own engine color might have been at the time.

Over the years some owners of Lehman-engined boats have chosen to repaint their engines in some other color than Lehman red. So it's possible to come across a green Lehman or a blue one or a gray one today. But all Lehman engines (with the exception I described in another post somewhere) left the Lehman plant painted red and most of them still seem to be that color.

Last edited:
Ford's own engine color is or was blue (the engine in the 1983 F-250 I bought new was gray, however).

The Lehman marinization company in New Jersey bought the base engines from Ford of England, probably in primer only, installed their own marinization kit and sold the engines to the boat manufactures as Ford Lehman engines. The color they chose for their products was red.

So red is Lehman's color and all the engines they marinized and sold new were red when they left Lehman. Some may have been repainted over the years by their owners.

But i have seen blue ones in boats so where did they come from i wonder?

So red is Lehman's color and all the engines they marinized and sold new were red when they left Lehman.
Confirmed by my new Seakamp heat exchangers being pre painted red.

But i have seen blue ones in boats so where did they come from i wonder?

If they are actually Ford Lehman engines then they are repaints.

However, a number of other companies marinized the same Ford engines that Lehman was marinizing, particularly in the UK and Europe. Like Lehman, these marinization companies sold their engines to boatbuiders in various parts of the world. Some of them may even have purchased some of their marinization components from Lehman. Or they designed their own and had them fabricated.

I have seen photos of some of these engines over the years and some companies painted their marinized Ford engines blue, some painted them green, and so on.

But if you see a Ford Lehman engine that came from Lehman, as evidenced by the EconoPower lettering on the exhaust manifold and other components, it would have gone into the boat as a red engine unless for some reason the boatbuilder repainted them before installing them.

Both of my Shamrock's strainers were horizontal like this one. They strained fine and dropping a gallon of water in the bilge was no biggie. They were installed this way factory for packaging reasons. I re oriented both to vertical when I re-did all the systems/repowered as I was used to seeing the lid on top. I quickly realized that you couldn't visualize the condition of the strainer near as easily!

Both of my Shamrock's strainers were horizontal like this one. They strained fine and dropping a gallon of water in the bilge was no biggie. They were installed this way factory for packaging reasons. I re oriented both to vertical when I re-did all the systems/repowered as I was used to seeing the lid on top. I quickly realized that you couldn't visualize the condition of the strainer near as easily!

thanks twisted. Seems from some of the coments that it is properly ploaced and i believe it is from the factory like that. I'm seriously thinking of buying this boat but concerned about the signs of lack of maintenence like with this strainer and an engine log that looks like it was filled out five years worth in one sitting

I`m thinking the short answer to "what is this?" is "a good reason to keep looking". Maybe the boat has positives we don`t know about, but I do wonder.

The strainer looks bad but the white should be salt (salt water) and the verdi gris (green patina) should clean up. As said previously the sea cock is likely frozen, I wouldn't move it until the boat was out of the water. Forget the engine log if you're iffy about it, its not worth the paper its written on if YOU doubt it. Check the engine and boat as if you have no info, written or spoken about the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. Delfin. I think what he's TRYING to say is that the non Taiwan built Grand Bank's are NOT made in Taiwan.

I have seen a lot of strainers mounted sideways...especially by commercial guys...makes them easy to drain for freezing situations and it allows them to be emptied of sand more easily.
Reminds me of a Canadian Forestry boat I looked at in Victoria at a reunion of these vessels. I asked the current owner if there were any concerns about bilge rot and he said that no, since they drained the oil into the bilge before pumping it over the side, the bilge timbers were perfectly preserved.

On commercial boats, everything used to go into the bilge before pumping it overboard, so a little sand, seaweed and saltwater from a horizontally mounted strainer would be no issue.

Regarding whether that sea strainer needs to be removed, I wouldn't bother. It will fall off on its own pretty soon.

I`m thinking the short answer to "what is this?" is "a good reason to keep looking". Maybe the boat has positives we don`t know about, but I do wonder.

oh yes it does, and all original equipment as built.It has aluminum tanks, mast and boom, solid glass stringers, cabin is a separate liner as is the engine room and lazerette no wood according to factory sales brochure one of which is in the boat. Windows of main salon not wood frames like so many of these boats are so there is no rot or leakage anywhere. Decks are solid glass with no slip surfaces and look almost new as does most of the boat except for the cushions and upholstery which is all original. Engine room has a flat floor part of the engine room liner with mouled in openings to gain access to the stringers below with nice teak or mahogany covers.
The 2007 survey lists it with twin engines but only has one seriel number and the hours on the survey are higher than on the hour meter. Before 2007 there is a good and complete maintenence record back to 1998 or there abouts. Boats had three owners.

Reminds me of a Canadian Forestry boat I looked at in Victoria at a reunion of these vessels. I asked the current owner if there were any concerns about bilge rot and he said that no, since they drained the oil into the bilge before pumping it over the side, the bilge timbers were perfectly preserved.

On commercial boats, everything used to go into the bilge before pumping it overboard, so a little sand, seaweed and saltwater from a horizontally mounted strainer would be no issue.

Regarding whether that sea strainer needs to be removed, I wouldn't bother. It will fall off on its own pretty soon.

great! That will save me the trouble of removing the thing if i buy it.

Funny u should mention the everything in the bilge practice. I remember that practice but had completely forgotten that period till now. I hated that practice. I always keep my bilge dinner plate clean

Greetings,
Mr. Delfin. I think what he's TRYING to say is that the non Taiwan built Grand Bank's are NOT made in Taiwan.

Not quite RT. I'm saying no GBs were ever built in Taiwan, but I think you're smart enough to have known that already.:)

The 2007 survey lists it with twin engines but only has one seriel number and the hours on the survey are higher than on the hour meter. Before 2007 there is a good and complete maintenence record back to 1998 or there abouts. Boats had three owners.

Hour meters can break and need replacing. Or they can quit running for awhile--- disconnected wire or bad connection for example.

Our boat had its Hobbs meters replaced a year or two before we bought it. The new meters only had 250 hours on them. But the paperwork for their installation said the original meters had 1200 hours on them when they were replaced.

Hour meters can break and need replacing. Or they can quit running for awhile--- disconnected wire or bad connection for example.

Our boat had its Hobbs meters replaced a year or two before we bought it. The new meters only had 250 hours on them. But the paperwork for their installation said the original meters had 1200 hours on them when they were replaced.

so the engines only had 250 hours on them? wow, they were just broke in

Hour meters sound nice and reassuring, but in most cases they are only 12 volt electric clocks. Hard to rewind, but relatively easy to disconnect or replace.

Not quite RT. I'm saying no GBs were ever built in Taiwan, but I think you're smart enough to have known that already.:)

I had to read your remark several times before i realized that you are absolutly correct. GB's were and are still made in /Sinapore right?

so the engines only had 250 hours on them? wow, they were just broke in

That would have been nice. But actually they had about 1,450 hours on them. If you can master the math I bet you can figure out why.:)

oh yes it does, and all original equipment as built.It has aluminum tanks, mast and boom, solid glass stringers, cabin is a separate liner as is the engine room and lazerette no wood according to factory sales brochure one of which is in the boat. Windows of main salon not wood frames like so many of these boats are so there is no rot or leakage anywhere. Decks are solid glass with no slip surfaces and look almost new as does most of the boat except for the cushions and upholstery which is all original. Engine room has a flat floor part of the engine room liner with mouled in openings to gain access to the stringers below with nice teak or mahogany covers.

The survey you commision should reveal any problems, no? Got any pictures to share?

I had to read your remark several times before i realized that you are absolutly correct. GB's were and are still made in /Sinapore right?

All fiberglass GBs were made in Singapore until 1995 when the company opened a new yard across the strait from Singapore in Malaysia. After that GBs, Eastbays, and Aleutians were made in both locations. In some cases the hulls were molded in the Singapore yard and then towed across the narrow strait to be completed in the Malaysia yard.

I am not sure the Singapore yard is still operating. The lease on the land was due to run out which was part of the reason for establishing the larger yard in Malaysia. Grand Banks Llc still has a corporate office in Singapore as well as one in Malaysia but I suspect the Singapore yard itself is now closed. The company makes no mention of it in describing its current facilities on its website.

All Ford Lehman 120s were red when shipped from Lehman in New Jersey. I'm not sure what color the FL135s were when shipped but I believe they all had a chromed rocker box cover.

Ours are Ford Lehman 135s ....

Attachments

• Mike 021.jpg
    Mike 021.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 89
  • Mike 022.jpg
    Mike 022.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hey bfloyd4445.
Did you ever hit that little abc check on the top right of the box?
Your Posts are a little hard to read sometimes.:blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom