gulfstar 49

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevkat

The Admiral and I were aboard our first Gulfstar in our ongoing search for our first liveaboard, we both loved the lay out. Does anyone have any input pro or con. We noticed there are no new Gulfstars, what happened? Any suggestions as far as other trawlers that would compare?

thanks Kevin

Gulfstars are a mixed bag. And I don't say that as a negative comment. Some of the older Gulfstars were just modified sailboats basically with the rig removed....IOW, true displacement boats but with all of the space constraints of a sailboat(obviously, the taller cabintop afforded by a motorboat gave them more room than a sailboat). They all seem to be very heavily built. They also seem to offer a very large engine space. The interior woodwork is decent enough. And they are American made if that means anything to you. As their motorboats became more "square" and less "round"(around early 80s I think) is when you see them start following the trend of semi-displacement motorboats. The 49 is a big boat with lotsa room. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with them. It is just a matter of how well that particular boat was maintained and if you like the systems onboard(ie engines,electronics,etc). *It seems most were powered with Detroits with some of the later ones powered by Cat3208s. *My choice would be the 3208s although you would get differing opinions there. *ANother thing I have noticed with ALL Gulfstar motorboats is their narrow deckhouse. *This does give you very wide side decks but it does compromise interior space. *On this particular boat, I don't think it is really an issue since the "sundeck" is enclosed which gives you more space. *Now the knock on that is....where is the outside space??? *If you enjoy the breeze of the outdoors....where do you do that on this boat??? *Just something to think about.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 01:25:33 PM

thanks for the input. The Gulfstar we saw did have a fair sized cockpit enclosed with canvas/plastic which could be opened, but i have seen some online that look like there is only walking space out back.*Since my wife and I are regulars at the dermatologist the sun doesn't appeal to us much any more although we both love to be out doors. I think we keep the sunscreen people in the black. as far as engines I've heard mixed*opinions about both. Wifey works at west marine and quizes all the mechanics that come in, some like this others that.*To me*the important thing would be the condition of both structure and engines.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom