Why we boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Is it the voyage or the vessel that we love so much.

Sometimes I think I like working on my boat as much as I like using it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Sd

Sd

For us, it's living the life others only dream about. Being onboard has a magic all its own.

It's all you mention, and more.

Sd

My better still works full time and I am semi retired so I enjoy the cruising when she is on board and tinker when she's not. Best of both worlds.

The Admiral calls it playing on my boat.
Perhaps she is right. Are we ever to old to play?
A friend asked why I want to work on an old boat all the time.

I said didn't you ever have a fort when you were young. A place to go and daydream for far off places.
A place to work on things. Wood working, mechanical, electrical. It's all there.

I like to have everything ship shape and ready to go at a moments notice.

I live in the most beautifully place I can ever imagine. The history is rich and deep. Last year and this I will be exploring for lost gold mines. This being Alaska the whole sound has been prospected for the last hundred years.
Lots of gold mines have been worked and then forgotten.
So in this sense it is the voyage.

Without all the tinkering on the boat I could never enjoy the exploration and discovery that awaits me and my friends.

And perhaps the riches and treasure to be found.

If I find any it will all go into the boat.

Humm, is there a pattern forming here?

SD

Freedom or the perception of freedom.

Freedom to live the way I want , choose.

Freedom to change the boat into what I think I want or not.

Freedom to move , travel around on the water.

Freedom to be independant, accountable.

Its all smoke and mirrors I mean I cant truly be free and still be part of and contribute to this society.

I love the life choice and when that changes there is probably an RV down the road that could work out well.

But for now I am about as free as any Canuck can be.

To me, it is the "sensualness" of being "out there". The smell...the sights....the sounds....the feel....yeah...and even the taste. It is not so much about the vessel(although a big lure to me is the skillful operation) as just being on the water.

It is an escape for sure!!!

Last year, my folks came up from California and took a cruise with us from Seattle to the San Juans and Gulf Islands. My dad, ever the conservative one, was accepting about my living onboard, yet perplexed at the same time.

The first morning at anchor, with breakfast going, he and I sat on the sundeck, enjoyed coffee, and chatted about stuff.

He gets it now.......

This has come up from time to time in other threads so this is something of a repeat on my part. But for me there are three main reasons that I like boating.

One is running the boat. As I've described in other posts, I really enjoy simply running the boat, which is a big reason why we will never have a single engine boat. I like operating machines and the more complex they are and the more options one has in their operation the better I like it.

Two is being out on the water for more or less the same reasons John posted above. Plus up here the life in the water is amazing. From jellyfish to Orcas and whales, cormorants to eagles, seals to otters, there is always something going on around us. I also really enjoy the challenge of learning to deal with the water up here. The strong currents, major big tidal ranges, rapids, narrow passes, rocks, and reefs. Not a big fan of wind, however, but we deal with it and when we deal with it successfully it's a rewarding feeling.

Three is working on the boat, particularly the woodwork. My knowledge of working with metal is pretty much non-existent, and I am very close to the bottom of the learning curve with fiberglass and gelcoat. But wood I understand and while I am no cabinet maker I am pretty good at finishing or refinishing wood. The big frustration now is time. I don't have nearly as much as I need to do brightwork properly. Hence all the covers on our boat to keep the weather at bay.

Last or not even on my list is the destination. Something like a nice anchorage, preferably with no one else there is great, no question. But marinas, harbors, etc. I have little interest in beyond the sometimes challenge of getting in and out of them.

The social aspect of boating is a total non-starter with us. We have a very small number of friends in the US and in Europe who we will take out on the boat with us. Currently there is only one boat-owning couple we really enjoy going out with. But talking boats or anything else with people who wander by on the dock or who want to meet up somewhere for coffee and so forth is not something we--- particularly not me--- encourage. I deal with people all over the world all day in my job. The absolute last thing I want to do on our boat is deal with more people.

Attachments

• Underway 1.jpg
    Underway 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 95

Sd

You know, I might even prefer working on my boat... :smitten:

Can't speak for others, but we boat because it is a sort of final frontier for us. Engine and ship-systems work, trip planning, navigation skills, weather-eye, and other boating skills all come together to make each voyage a success or failure. In an ever-increasing nanny-state, it is nice to rely on your own judgement and decision-making capability. Mother nature is unforgiving; I would never put my family, myself, guests or boat at risk for no reason. However, each time you leave the dock there is some potential for mischief, particularly for those who haven't thought it through beyond a fun day on the water. 2013 will be my 51st season on the water and the thrill is as fresh as it ever was. From climbing the Waterford flight, to spending all night at sea underway on our Mainship, to being passed by a Navy submarine bound for sea at Norfolk; I have loved it all!...and, I haven't even mentioned the sunsets or great folks I've met through boating.
Fair winds and following seas.
Bill

Skipperdude,

Yeah, I like working on my boat too. The darn cruising means I must stow all the tools and supplies, or at least most of them. Balancing on the removealble sole supports keeps one agile as you walk over the engine. Much better working on the boat than cruising.:D

Last edited:
Too new to know.

We foresee our vessel being a base camp for hiking and photographing the remote nooks and crannies of BC's north coast.

Greetings,
As a result of trawlers being REAL babe magnets, I boat for the babes...
th

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this a bit more since my last reply and I think I can sum it....

I boat for the same reason that I fly airplanes.....(to continue)to be able to see the world through a child's eyes!!!

Last edited:

Sd

Me too, SD. I love the journey, the dream, the anticipation and just tinkering on MY boat!! Repairs or routine maintenance are enjoyable as long as they're not stressful budget busters. I prefer to conduct all maintenance myself but will farm out projects that are beyond my scope. I take pride in being able to keep my vessel well maintained, safe and reliable.

I cherish the friendships made and the paths crossed.

I enjoy planning the next trip and the next project.

What's not to like about it? (OK, maybe the expense at times, but I try not to think about that.)

Greetings,
As a result of trawlers being REAL chick magnets, I boat for the babes...
th

Hey RT, I totally agree. I can't keep them off of my boat. I had to discard this pile awhile ago....

Attachments

• pancake.jpg
    pancake.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 107
Well, the classic is:

There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
- Kenneth Grahame

And so true it is. There are thousands of quotes to help us describe our passion for boats, but I like this one:

There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.
- Old Capstan Chantey

The time spent working on your boat is not deducted from your lifespan.

Therefore, Angelina has lengthened my life considerably.

Also being away from my wife helps too.

Wow!! Some deep thought and comments here. I especially like the one about not deducting from the O'l life span.

Keep em coming.

The philosophy of why we boat. Cool.

SD

Last edited:
The best part, for me, is just being on the water! Dan, on the other hand, loves driving!

"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
- Sir Francis Chichester

I will just stay with the tag line under my signature. I think it sums it up for me.

Sunday we sea trialed and moved our new boat into the berth. Today I received a text from my wife saying she can't stop thinking about how comfortable it was gliding down the river without a care in the world.

After literally days of hot, suffering work in my genie room, and one frustrating system glitch after another, I awaken before a cool dawn to a delight of noises, textures and sensations of Bucky's pilothouse. The way the doors open, the windows slide, and the controls feel. A subtle twist of the key brings the soft, friendly murmur of my diesel as if to say "I'm with you, let's go". A throw the lines and she's away from dock....carrying us down the canal toward the place where both of us want to be. We clear the inlet, then the channel marker and steer 180 degrees into the crystal waters of Biscayne Bay. She reaches her sweet spot and takes her full keel stance upon the course we've chosen. In the distance, the Charter boats are heading out through Stiltsville Cut in anticipation of the morning's catch while the midnight waves grow blue-green from the sun's early grace. Running straight and true in open water, I step from the pilothouse and walk freely around the deck, stopping to sip coffee toasts to my favorite morning views, and standing confidently upon the platform that has inspired my awakening to the wonder of water. The cool air, the warming sun, man and machine all in one congruent, fluid moment. Does life get better?

Last edited:
How can you do that? You don't have one. Oh, you mean that little platform up top.
.:)

Hmmm. OK, maybe "Wheelhouse" would be more suitable. Yes, I'll refer to it as Wheelhouse. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom