heritage east sundeck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi everyone first im new here and i dont know much about boats so be gentle with me.
i am looking to get a heritage east sundeck 40 it has 2 perkins 135 hp engines and was wondering if anyone can tell me the cruising speed and fuel consumption.

the other question is what are they like to take to sea

What model and year of Perkins? If the 6 cylinder Perkins Sabre M130 or M135 they are good engines. Your service and support on these engines in England should be very good but keep in mind the previous owner's dilligence is a strong indicator of the future. Expect 7.5 to 8 knots and 1.5 to 2.0 gph per engine, or less.

This may sound silly, but the PO will be a good source of the boat's sea keeping ability. Ask him where he cruised and under what weather and wave condiditons. For the first year or two don't exceed what the PO did or better yet be less bold than he. Weather forecasting on the England shores is pretty good so listen carefully. Talk to the owners of similar sized vessels in your marina for some weather hints.

the year of the vessel is 1987 the engines i dont know the model but am going to take for a run soon so will l;ook. im trying to find out the air draft and weight but cant find any data on the boat so ant one can help there that will be good.
im going to roat trasport it from where it is to the marina i want thats why i nees the details

I think the Heritage East boats are some of the better boats to come out of Taiwan. The Perkins engines of the vintage are the Range 4 Perkins 135....basically an updated version of the 6-354. While they likely have their little idiosyncrasies, they are good engines.
Fuel burn would just be a guess but I think Sunchaser is in the ballpark. I would say 4-5gph at 8 knots.

As far as seakeeping goes....
It will handle just like any other flat squared rear ended boat out there. Not all that comfortable in a following or beam sea and somewhat of a snappy motion due to the flat hard aftersections. While one could take it offshore with an eye on the weather, they are not offshore boats due to the hullform mentioned above as well as a fairly high center of gravity. But definitely an excellent coastal cruiser.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the 2001 and newer 36' Heritage East Trawlers. Quality and seakeeping wise?

I own an 1985 heritage east Sundeck with the Perkins Range NA 135 twins. The boat burns 2.04 gallons per engine at 8.0 kts and 1800 rpm.

It is comfortable and rides well. Beam seas can be squirrelly. I have cruised in tropical storm conditions and it was dry for the most part but the following seas push it around.

I love the design. They are gorgeous boats.

Where are you looking? There is an 87 in Pensacola

Yes it is. Same boat your looking at glad to answer any questions.

I have lots of questions. we live in the uk and intend living on the boat full time is there anything that is bad on them or you think you would have changed. Do you take you to sea and if so what is your feeling on them in different conditions. That will do to start with thank you

Moon,

I like the boat. The Perkins are reliable if you buy it I will pass to you the math formulas to determine the burn rate for your engines.

They are beamy. They ride well and at cruising speed around 1800-1900 Rpm they burn 2 gallons per motor.

I love the wood interior. I am not happy with the windows. They leak. Plenty of room.

Moon,

I like the boat. The Perkins are reliable if you buy it I will pass to you the math formulas to determine the burn rate for your engines.

They are beamy. They ride well and at cruising speed around 1800-1900 Rpm they burn 2 gallons per motor.

I love the wood interior. I am not happy with the windows. They leak. Plenty of room.

I recommend you look at my blog in my signature. It has some info on what I have done so far

we have put in an offer and it has been accepted so looks like we wil be the proud owners pending servey.

Greetings,
Well, Father Christmas has left the presents. NOW you just have to wait to open them. I'm excited for you and I wish you a clean survey. Given the recent flooding in southern England, moving aboard is a good decision.

Last edited:
I recommend you look at my blog in my signature. It has some info on what I have done so far

i have read all posts but where are the posts from january please keep us updated. we will be moving it by sea with a experanced captain but it will take 8 days to get to where we are going.

i have read all posts but where are the posts from january please keep us updated. we will be moving it by sea with a experanced captain but it will take 8 days to get to where we are going.

Hi, Moonraker. Where are you taking it from, and to? We were just in the UK, in 2011, and did some canal boating. Also spent time in motor home in southwest England, including Somerset, Cornwall, Devon, and Wales. We loved every minute. Highlight of the trip for me anyway, was going over Admiral Nelson 's Victory. Some of the ports and marinas we saw looked very interesting.

Moonraker,

Good luck! Your Max RPM on these Engines should be 26-2700 RPM.

Check your stuffing boxes and rudders packing under the Lazerette.

You should have 2 saddle tanks for diesel. They are 200 gallons each. Check for the filters and inspect the impellers.

I am working on my Teak decks so I haven't done much updating to the blog. I need to.

Hi, Moonraker. Where are you taking it from, and to? We were just in the UK, in 2011, and did some canal boating. Also spent time in motor home in southwest England, including Somerset, Cornwall, Devon, and Wales. We loved every minute. Highlight of the trip for me anyway, was going over Admiral Nelson 's Victory. Some of the ports and marinas we saw looked very interesting.

we will be bringing the boat down the bristol channel and round the lizard and on to eastbourne on the south coast its around 500 miles so will be stopping at a few marinas on the way.

if any of you see us on our travels come say hello and have a coffee i will post when we are leaving and where we will be stopping

My wife and I are taking possession of a 44' Hertiage East in two weeks - any other 44' owners out there? It is our first diesel and we are excited but cautious. The boat had sat for two years with only occasional use but luckily they had a mechanic come over several times a season to start the engines and bring them up to temperature, winterized each fall and de-winterized in spring. Did well in sea trial but we are having the tanks emptied and cleaned, as well as new filters and having injectors and pumps rebuilt. Any thoughts on the racor turbine filters with the aquabloc cartridges? If I am going to start out clean I want to keep it as good as possible.

Just an update we have had the survey done now and are waiting the report. We are still very excited about getting her and fingers x no problems on the survey. I do need to fit a 110v power pack to run the air con but I will worry about the later.

I've been told you are thinking of selling your trawler. If so, I might be interested. Let me know. Cheers

I have a 2000 36’ Heritage East sundeack with a single 5.96BT Cummins. I love this boat. Bought it in Alameda, CA with 400 hours, it now has 985. I brought it down to San Pedro (LA), and now we’re in San Diego. Single engine is no problem especially if you have the bow thruster.

Back
Top Bottom