Lonesome Sad Tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings to the forum

While walking the docks for exercise and checking the lines, I notice a 37 foot Tollycraft Long range Cruiser, in-decaying condition. I know they were built in l987 and damn few were constructed. The last mention many years ago seemingly called for less than 8 total or maybe on the West Coast. At any rate, this boat has twin 453 Jimmy's. It is a crime to see a classic such as this going down hill.
I know, go to a Tolly site, well I like THIS site and know that adult responses will ensue.
It would be nice to have confirmation on this model having core decks and what material the core is if that is the case. While the hull house is high out of the water, is the underwater hull similar to the more common 37 foot twin screw model of which many were constructed.
Looking forward to knowledge or site specific to continue research.
Thanks Many,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska:flowers:
"Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you."

I don't know squat about Tollycrafts but as you know it's not uncommon for manufacturers to use the same hull mold for different boat configurations. If Tolly did the same thing, might the hull on the 37 LRC be virtually identical to the hull on the more common 37' model you mention?

And while I understand your feelings with regard to this site I think your question would probably get you the most meaningful answers if asked of the, or a, Tollycraft owners site. Art could probably direct you to such a site if you don't know of them already.

When people ask me for info about Grand Banks boats I always direct them to the GB owners site, never this or any other site. There are people on the owners sites who can probably tell you the number of fasteners used in every model the manufacturer ever made or the exact tint code of the paint used in the aft head or whatever.

Last edited:
Greetings to the forum

While walking the docks for exercise and checking the lines, I notice a 37 foot Tollycraft Long range Cruiser, in-decaying condition. I know they were built in l987 and damn few were constructed. The last mention many years ago seemingly called for less than 8 total or maybe on the West Coast. At any rate, this boat has twin 453 Jimmy's. It is a crime to see a classic such as this going down hill.
I know, go to a Tolly site, well I like THIS site and know that adult responses will ensue.
It would be nice to have confirmation on this model having core decks and what material the core is if that is the case. While the hull house is high out of the water, is the underwater hull similar to the more common 37 foot twin screw model of which many were constructed.
Looking forward to knowledge or site specific to continue research.
Thanks Many,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska:flowers:
"Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you."

Al -Visit http://www.tollycraftboatingclub.com/forums/index.php and use search feature. Simple to join and place your questions on thread. Answers will be forthcoming. You speaking of a Tolly like this picture?

Attachments

• Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 870
Saw one a few years ago tied up at our guest dock. Since I owned a Tolly at the time, I went over and talked to the owner. The boat had a single Jimmy 4-53 mounted under the pilot house. The owner said it was a full displacement boat and one 4-53 did the job. What I found curious was the two seat chariot bridge. It looked like an afterthought add-on, but the owner assured me it was factory.

The boat in Art's photo is an interesting configuration for a boat that's "only" 37 feet long. DeFever's basic pilothouse design--- and that's what this Tollycraft is in essence--- is generally not found until you get up into lengths over 45 feet.

Saw one a few years ago tied up at our guest dock. Since I owned a Tolly at the time, I went over and talked to the owner. The boat had a single Jimmy 4-53 mounted under the pilot house. The owner said it was a full displacement boat and one 4-53 did the job. What I found curious was the two seat chariot bridge. It looked like an afterthought add-on, but the owner assured me it was factory.

ancora - What model/size/year Tolly you own? BTW - on the similar one to picture that you spoke to owner about did you notice the 1/2 head in pilot house... also a factory build-out!

At that time, we owned a 30 Tolly, before that a 26 Tolly. Got tired of the constant maintenance on the Mercruisers and went to a twin diesel boat.

Art, Yep, that is the one. Sure, I will go to the site you offered. Interesting that Ancora mentioned single screw. As these didn't or actually bow thrusters were not yet available (Right?) in l987, a single screw configuration with the high surface the boat presents would be a challenge in a windage/tidal/tight situation.
Thanks all.
A.M.Johnson
27'Marben pocket trawler

Art, Yep, that is the one. Sure, I will go to the site you offered. Interesting that Ancora mentioned single screw. As these didn't or actually bow thrusters were not yet available (Right?) in l987, a single screw configuration with the high surface the boat presents would be a challenge in a windage/tidal/tight situation.
Thanks all.
A.M.Johnson
27'Marben pocket trawler

Al - Glad to assist!

See more re Tolly boats: Tolly Classified - Model Selection

:dance:

Art, Follow through with the Tollycraft site below, Thanks AMJohnson
27' Marben pocket trawler

Greetings,
New member for the initial purpose of gaining information on a specific model of Tolly. Art, a Tolly owner from my trawler site suggested coming to this site.
The inquiry is built around the 37 Long Range Cruiser.
There is one in our harbor deteriorating at a steady pace. Prior to making an offer I would like to have a conversation with knowing parties as to the weak spots to look over in such a situation. I would offer that at the current time the majority of the deteriorate condition is superficial. Structure wise the concern is with leaking window and deck core conditions to look for.
What is the blister status for hulls built in the l978 era? Fuel tank material?
Is the hull configuration under water the same or similar to the 37 sedan or convertible?
Any other willing information will be welcome.
Thanks
A.M.Johnson
27 foot Marben pocket trawler

Art, Follow through with the Tollycraft site below, Thanks AMJohnson
27' Marben pocket trawler

Greetings,
New member for the initial purpose of gaining information on a specific model of Tolly. Art, a Tolly owner from my trawler site suggested coming to this site.
The inquiry is built around the 37 Long Range Cruiser.
There is one in our harbor deteriorating at a steady pace. Prior to making an offer I would like to have a conversation with knowing parties as to the weak spots to look over in such a situation. I would offer that at the current time the majority of the deteriorate condition is superficial. Structure wise the concern is with leaking window and deck core conditions to look for.
What is the blister status for hulls built in the l978 era? Fuel tank material?
Is the hull configuration under water the same or similar to the 37 sedan or convertible?
Any other willing information will be welcome.
Thanks
A.M.Johnson
27 foot Marben pocket trawler

Al - I just placed a post under yours on Tolly Forum... to help you get the ball rolling! Good Luck & Cheers!! Art :dance:

Thanks, interesting article.

Sadly, a link at the bottom of the article is the story that he passed away a few months after he turned 100.

Mr. Robert Merland Tollefson, i.e. "Tolly" Was an outstanding person. My poem eludes to some of his life matters. :thumb:

“TOLLY POEM" For: Robert Merland Tollefson (And All Tolly Friends)
In honor of and in memory for Mr. Tolly, upon his passing, I felt compelled to share his poem with Tollycraft Forum.
March 2009 two personalized, bound copies of this poem were mailed to Gordon Graham. Gordon hand delivered Tolly his copy.
By, Art Burtis – Owner of 1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named, “The Office”

"TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN"

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means.
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall.
Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire.
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile.
Designing and building was study he chose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose.
No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull.
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled.
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show.
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart.
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow.
Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell.
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure.
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant.
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind.
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell.
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight.
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft.
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys.
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class.
Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure.
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow.

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know.
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt.
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their guild.
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance.
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears.
So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind.
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure.
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last.
First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass.
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess.
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.

Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold.
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store.
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart.
Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers.
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time.
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds.
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection.
Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends.
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door.
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore.
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there.

Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey.
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know.
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure.
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on.
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art Burtis, a proud Tolly owner.

BOATS FOREVER!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!
By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

Saw an ancient glass-over-wood Tolly on a lowboy trailer headed for the landfill after being "cleaned" by a local boatyard. Most likely an impound vessel as there is a lot of that goin' on with the economy in the tank. The boats are impounded by the law due to non-payment of dock fees, put up for auction, and if not sold go to the landfill.

Saw an ancient glass-over-wood Tolly on a lowboy trailer headed for the landfill after being "cleaned" by a local boatyard. Most likely an impound vessel as there is a lot of that goin' on with the economy in the tank. The boats are impounded by the law due to non-payment of dock fees, put up for auction, and if not sold go to the landfill.

Interesting. Same thing with mortgaged boats? Wouldn't the lender want to get it?

We have an outfit here in San Diego that handles the repo boats. There is a whole slew of them availible. My previous boat was a repo I bought from a bank. The P.O. placed a lien on the boat but the bank handled the whole thing.

On Yachtworld, San Diego...1972 40 foot Tolly with 3160 Cats, with only 900 hours, for $39,500. Was it a repower or did they come with those engines?

Tolly 37 LRC

HI, I'm a little late to the discussion but I may have some useful info for you. I am the owner of the Tolly 37 Trawler Harmony. My wife and I have owned her for 11 years during which we have spent a minimum of 4 months cruising aboard every year.
I saw the lonesome Tolly you are referring to three years ago when we cruised to Alaska. It was under a cover but looking very neglected at that time.
We have enjoyed our experience with Harmony tremendously. She is the roomiest 37 footer imaginable and ideal for a couple.
Let me know if you are still interested in details of the model and I will give you the benefit of my experience.

The 37 LRC is a very cool looking boat. I'd love to see more pictures. I did find this:
img_197293_0_637255f05ec98f0547c04690dd12ef25.jpg

Last edited:
Nwow that's one boat I would sell the currentTolly for. Love the lines! Looks like a well thought out layout. Classic!

Sausalito, CA circa 2010. Tollycraft Costal Cruiser, mid to late 1970's model... Was in process of refinish. Never heard back from owner after initial contact. He supplied picture.

Attachments

• Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 260
TollyRC37- Yep the rig is still in that condition.maybe even in more disarray. Know of the owners. However, I fear that the condition would warrant a suggested purchase price that would embarrass and at the same time, if successful, would lead to some hidden cost that are not friendly!! Happy to have decided to stay with a single screw rig that suits us just fine for the moment. Tragic to see such a craft go down hill.
Al

HI, I'm a little late to the discussion but I may have some useful info for you. I am the owner of the Tolly 37 Trawler Harmony. My wife and I have owned her for 11 years during which we have spent a minimum of 4 months cruising aboard every year.
I saw the lonesome Tolly you are referring to three years ago when we cruised to Alaska. It was under a cover but looking very neglected at that time.
We have enjoyed our experience with Harmony tremendously. She is the roomiest 37 footer imaginable and ideal for a couple.
Let me know if you are still interested in details of the model and I will give you the benefit of my experience.

TLRC3- The wife of the 37 LRC in Ketchikan recently passed. the widower was walking by our boat a few days ago. In casual conversation it was noted that he was contemplating selling. If you thought the boat was in sad condition back in 13, you can anticipate the condition after two more years laying idle.

No- I advised the owner who knew of my earlier lust for the boat, I was not interested at this date. We had and have made the required changes to our Marben to give it the best sea conditions and performance plus at 78 I am not about to start over.

This being said before a sneak down to view the boat with a bit of interest in current status. Well, electrical panel on the bridge deck is open and the overhead to the fly bridge electrical/control access is open and missing with wires hanging down all about. Boat exterior is totally 'green' from the elements mixed with gull droppings of years.

The owner has impacted the widows against some obstruction resulting in cracked salon windows and deformed window frames.
Just a total waste of a wonderful (Novel?) boat as you well know.

When the owner declared fuel tankage at 2x300 gallons and water at 100 gallons all I could picture was "Steel Tanks", aft decks torn up for access, and the cost of a bit smaller 100 plus gallon fuel tanks, replacement of water tanks (300 gallon?) both in aluminum, plus off set ballast, the picture became even more clear in favor of writing you the conditions knowing you share common pain for boats not maintained. Were I to have the ability to transfer photos from my phone to the Forum, I'd send photos.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
When the owner declared fuel tankage at 2x300 gallons and water at 100 gallons all I could picture was "Steel Tanks", aft decks torn up for access, and the cost of a bit smaller 100 plus gallon fuel tanks, replacement of water tanks (300 gallon?) both in aluminum, plus off set ballast, the picture became even more clear in favor of writing you the conditions knowing you share common pain for boats not maintained. Were I to have the ability to transfer photos from my phone to the Forum, I'd send photos.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Hi Al - Sorry to learn the sad news; but, thanks for sharing. Don't think Tolly's came with steel tankage??... Stout aluminum is all I ever hear of and is what we have. - Best regards, Art

Last edited:
Holy crap the 37' lrc in Ketchikan use to be my wife and mine we bought the boat I think in 2000 or 99 in Seattle we got married and was our first home our home port was Craig Alaska. When we bought it we had a full two long day survey done on it when we bought it I would have rated her at 6.5 out of ten...when we sold her she was a very solid 9 maybe 9.5?. I went at seen her about 5 years ago while on a moose hunting trip..I almost balled like a baby when I seen her.... she use to be such a wonderful boat.. my only complaint was in big following seas she would get squirrelly...awesome enclosed pilot house great for SE Alaska sad to hear about the owners wife passing am assume same couple that bought from me.....

Quote "went at seen her about 5 years ago while on a moose hunting trip..I almost balled like a baby when I seen her.... she use to be such a wonderful boat.. my only complaint was in big following seas she would get squirrelly...awesome enclosed pilot house great for SE Alaska sad to hear about the owners wife passing am assume same couple that bought from me..... "

To the best of my knowledge, the owner purchased the boat either out of Sitka or it was from Sitka and sold in Ketchikan. So it must be you right?
I too walk by the boat often, Were I a bit younger, a chance I'd take, not now.
I feel the same about my last boat (wood) that I sold to a gentleman who had no idea of what a wood boat entailed, he in turn out of inability to utilize the boat, sold it to a character who has been the death of many a wood boat which will include ours soon. Tragic.

Al-Ketchikan

Al,

I am fearing that is our old boat "Gizmo". She was hull #1 of the 37.6' LRC Series. She was featured at the 1977 Seattle Boat Show in the Seattle Center Coliseum. Supposedly they built 7 or 8 of this model.

We loved her dearly but the previous 2 owners did not do much to keep her up. She mostly stayed at the dock much like a summer cabin. They did not put in an algae agent such as BioBor. The tanks were hopelessly clogged with algae and after many attempts at fuel polishing the only alternative was to replace the tanks for very major $$$ which we could not afford. In spite of that we cruised Gizmo extensively in Puget Sound and BC while constantly changing the Racor filters.
We reluctantly had to sell her about 15 years ago. She was lifted onto a barge and sent to AK to become a live aboard. We sure miss her....
We now have a 32' Uniflite which we like a lot. We sure do miss all the room and comfort of that old tub. We still keep all the brochures and other flyers that Old Man Tolly signed years ago at a Tolly Rendezvous in Sydney. As he put it, "Me and Ed Monk Jr. sat down over a jug Jack Daniel's to design this boat and you now own it". HA!

Al, if you have a picture of her, we sure would like to see it, I think.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom