Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterMcc

Members -

I realize I've kinda parachuted in here a couple of times and I think an introduction might be a good idea. I've been lurking here for maybe six months - but I've followed, and been an occasional contributor to the Trawlers & Trawlering list since around 2000.

I'm Peter McCorison, married to Babs, the love of my life. We live in Westsound on Orcas Island in the northwest corner of Washington State. We took responsibility for Coho about six years ago after a lifetime in sailboats from small boats to cruisers. She's a 50 foot custom trawler built by Marine Construction (Marco) in Seattle and launched in 1955. We are both in our late seventies, so we have had all the adventures we need. The result is that we cruise mostly between Orcas and Cape Caution in the BC Central Coast. We get a couple of months of curising each year, avoiding July and August when the anchorages are so crowded. We try to get our exterior paint and varnish done during those two months, doing the work ourselves, with occasional help from a friend.

Coho is still pretty much original. She's powered by her original Cummins NH-6 naturally aspirated engine with a 3:1 twin-disk gear driving a 30" five-blade propeller. We cruise at 1100 rpm, which gives us about seven knots at 1.75 gallons per hour. The boat weighs in at 60,000 pounds and has a full displacement hull. a couple of years ago I replaced the original 32volt Onan genset with a 4kw Westerbeke, a two-cylinder beast that does its best to shake itself apart. It drives a 24volt 300Amp alternator to charge our batteries; we don't use the a-c end of it except in emergencies.

Coho's oil stove heats the main cabin - and it's been running 24/7 now since December 15th, when winter hit us with a vengance.

So if you spy us in the passages, speak up on the radio or come visit. The worst it could come out would be a cup of pretty good coffee.

Cheers,

Attachments

• coho at sidney spit 7-03.jpg
    coho at sidney spit 7-03.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 235
Nice boat and welcome to the forum!!

Beatutiful boat Peter. I'll keep an eye out when we head North this summer (if it ever comes)

Welcome aboard. I've seen your boat before, it looks like a great little ship.

Ken

Welcome Peter. Come on by anytime. Beautiful boat.

One of the advantages of owning an older, one of a kind larger boat is people tend to remember the boat and you.* Anyway when I pass an older boat I try to hail them as there are not many of*them*out there.* Hope to meet you*in perrson some time.*

Back
Top Bottom