Bristol trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drifter_69

need a spot for Bristol* we have a 69 hull with many upgrades over the years . i know others that own bristol trawlers

Attachments

• imgp0023.jpg
    imgp0023.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 355
I agree! They are one of the beefiest little ships I've found, solid glass hulls 3/4" thick below the waterline and nice lines. You can visit our refit project of the "Still Sibsie" at www.sibsie.com where my wife (Siobhan aka Sibsie) is the webmaster, although she is behind in her posts of my hard work and photos. lol!

Just bought a 42' Bristol. Love the build and has new mechanicals. Am starting to spruce up the interior.

I agree! They are one of the beefiest little ships I've found, solid glass hulls 3/4" thick below the waterline and nice lines. You can visit our refit project of the "Still Sibsie" at www.sibsie.com where my wife (Siobhan aka Sibsie) is the webmaster, although she is behind in her posts of my hard work and photos. lol!

I haven't come across your website before, and I must say I am amazed. I congratulate you for taking on what must be one of the most challenging refits I have seen here. How long has the project taken? Budget? Any details you might share here or on your site ?

Jenny
Did you buy the Bristol that was at Green Cove Springs Marina? It looked like a good boat with updated John Deere power.

I just now saw your posts...sorry! I bought her from an elderly couple in St. Augustine FL in July of 2010...the solid fiberglass hull and decks are what I was looking for, with full intentions of completely gutting her. My budget is around 150k, and that includes purchase, trucking, everything. I have a spread sheet detailing every component and every system. I'm still under so far so good. Oh by the way, Sibsie has been fired as the webmaster for inattention. lol New updates on the site if your interested.

Steve:

I hope that budget included full purchase price and storage costs while doing the refit. Nobody I know (including my good friends who have rebuilt old wooden workboats for huge $) would tackle a boat as thoroughly used up as this one was when you started. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

I bought the boat at Green Cove Springs

I looked for 4 years and finally came across Jenny. She has new mechanicals and is very well laid up. I am in the process of working on her interior...nothing major... and will have her in the water in Feb.

Koliver, the beauty of a solid fiberglass boat is, she's all there. there was a time that things like re-power, total system design/replacement, fiberglass, awlgrip, etc. scared me. But after two refits I learned through those processes, and quite honestly, it's not that big of a deal. There IS a lot of work, but it is good work, very satisfying, and I want it done right. I can only count on me do do that. I only work about 3 days a week so I have ample time to spend on her. There is also a WEALTH of wonderful knowledge on the web, plus many forums to read. I had a lifelong dream of fitting out a boat such as this and take her all over the Caribbean knowing that everything under my feet was MY doing. I have been flying for 30 years and while it is a great job, I can't wait to retire in 5 years and feel the slow beat of a single Lugger diesel with no particular schedule or time deadline. I think that's probably what everybody in here feels.

Jenny, please post or email me some pics of your Bristol; I would love to see them. Also, when you splash her , I will have some questions.

Contact e-mail

Sibsie... what e-mail address should I send pics to?

Soldier of Fortune,

Thanks for stopping by at Green Cove Springs. Keep in touch on your purchase plans. In Feb I'll be in Jacksonville at Harbourtown Marina. Stop by.

Steve

Steve
Good luck on your new boat. It is in very good condition and the newer engine and mechanicals make it a gem!
Nice to meet you and I'll stop by again.

Steve,
I love my 1980 Bristol and she is reliable safe. Rolls a bit but she got us from SF to SD
And from Al. To the keys...you are doing her right!
David

David, how much roll does she have and is it slow rolling or snappy? What is the duration of the roll? Would you recommend para-vanes or stabilizers? I am swayed towards para-vanes like on the Kadey Krogens.
Thanks,
Steve

Slow roll from side to side in a quartering sea
Quite nauseating
Wish I had fins!
I now just try to watch the waves and stay out of big rollers
I'm now in ft lauderdale
Looking forward to trawler fest in Feb.....David

Slow roll from side to side in a quartering sea Quite nauseating Wish I had fins! I now just try to watch the waves and stay out of big rollers I'm now in ft lauderdale Looking forward to trawler fest in Feb.....David
Where in Fort Lauderdale are you docked? Were at Royale Palm Yacht Basin in Dania Beach.

Last edited:
Hope you are getting close by the way, what a job...

1972 Bristol 38

Comments? I'm taking a weekend trip to look at 3 boats over Labor Day weekend. One of them is a 1972 Bristol 38....I found some info on Bristol's on Wikipedia, and it seems that they're a solid, well put together fully fiberglass hull..I like that. So, can any of you Bristol owners offer me suggestions on problem areas, what to look for, etc etc? Mechanically, according to the Broker all is in good shape except the Kohler generator is "in-op" guess I'll find out what that means Sunday. I have no idea what replacing/rebuilding a generator might cost, but who knows, maybe it's a simple fix...uh-huh. Anyway, any comments, hints etc you can give this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Wyoboater- I can tell you 'inop' just means inoperative. Not necessarily beyond repair, but it doesn't currently work.
Hope the boat is nice!

Counter poise, I am getting there. The tanks are in and I'm working on the engine beds now. Hope to install the engine next week. The sending units are all mounted and the panels and wiring harness are being connected so almost there. Ordered the keel cooler today and the gear oil cooler from Holt Corp. in Watertown MA. I want to fiberglass the big 4 x 6 hole in her roof as soon as the engine goes in cuz it leaks a bit when it rains. Temps gotta stay above 50. Lol

Bristol fuel & water tanks

Hello. Need info on the Bristol 42 trawler fuel and water tank construction and capacity and location in the boat.
Thanks

Hello. Where can I find information location and capacity on the fuel and water tanks on the bristol 42. Also, can you share your pictures with me? I am looking to buy a 42 real soon.
Thanks a lot,
Undersea

Hello Stevensibs. I am new to this forum an looking to buy a Bristol 42. Can you share some of your working photos with me? I need to see the fuel & water tank location and capacity. Also, the engine bed and engine room space for additional stuff like Genset, AC unit, hot water heater, etc.

Thanks,
undersea

hi. send you email addy to me and i'll send you photos. sjemery@gmail

There is the "Jenny" on Jax craiglist. 2007 re powered with a 4 cylinder John Deere. I saw it hauled out a few years ago. Clean boat then, looks like its been improved now. 24K asking price. No affiliation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom