View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
Larry M
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
One thing that's not obvious in the photos (of the Nordic, Krogen, or Volunteer) is some form of hold-down for the poles. If you take a huge roll and the upper vane unloads the pole can flop inboard with a crash....... The commercial guys in BC use two pieces of pipe in a scissor arrangement off the mast, which is clear of everything. Beebe advocated a tackle to an eye down near the waterline which is less desirable.
We have no hold downs for the poles. I have seen the scissor arrangement on commercial vessels and they look interesting. Beeb's "tackle to an eye", I don't think would be affective for us. The bracket that holds the poles at the hull is only 32" above the water line. It might be an easy mod for some Nordhavens. Some of the poles are attached at the hull 6 or 7 feet off of the water.

We have had the fish come out of the water though on probably 6-8 different days all on similar sea conditions. We would be running in large beam seas with wind driven waves on top. Hobo would be on the crest and would roll/twist as the wave/swell would pass under us. As this happens, the fish and Hobo are not tracking parallel and rarely, the windward fish would "pop" out of the water maybe a foot. The fishes re-entry is surprisingly smooth but it still "rattles" the poles a bit as well as ourselves. If it continues we head off or slow down. The poles have never moved and I hope, we are never in sea conditions that they do.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote