Battery Cable Manufacturer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
A long time ago someone mentioned the name of a company that built custom battery cables. I've search the forum for a couple of hrs :banghead: to no avail & would appreciate a link to that post or name of the company.

Thx, Philip

Thanks FlyWright

PD SAT TWR '71-'81 BN 4...go around

What are the cable going to be used for? If a long run might want to move the batteries and/or add another battery closer as it might be cheaper and easier. Big battery cables are not cheap and heavy to ship.

There is probable as place that makes battery cable in your area. Power/Battery store, automotive store, marine stores. Diesel machanic. West marine sells the cable/fitting and some have the tools to secure the fitting.

I really like this forum. Even though I'm not in the market right now for custom cables, I am able to bookmark all of these suggested sites for future use. :smitten:

What are the cable going to be used for?

To link multiple batteries in paralel. I'm replacing the old non-boxed 8Ds wet cells & one thought was to use multiple smaller batteries linked in series or parallel depending on battery voltage.

Unfortunately due to location & access I've decided to go back in with two more expensive 8D AGMs thus the need for new cables & battery boxes has been eliminated. PD

What are the cable going to be used for?

To link multiple batteries in paralel. I'm replacing the old non-boxed 8Ds wet cells & one thought was to use multiple smaller batteries linked in series or parallel depending on battery voltage.

Unfortunately due to location & access I've decided to go back in with two more expensive 8D AGMs thus the need for new cables & battery boxes has been eliminated. PD

In the West Marine catallog there is a table to size cable/wire based on total amps and total feet. The West Marine catablog has a lot of usful tables.

I am not that smart and the old memory is going but I do have a pile of old reference material. :ermm: The West marine Catalog is one of them. :thumb:

Last edited:
Battery Cables

I just go to West marine and buy what I need and use their crimpers to put together. Bring a sharp knife and fine tooth Hack Saw. Every thing you need is there.

Another vendor to consider

I have never used this vendor, although I have friends who have and are happy with the results.

Tinned Marine Wire

Link goes to the made up battery cable page at tinned marine wire.

I have my own large crimper and I buy battery cable direct from Pacer Marine - USA made cable in Tampa FL.

Mike
DeFever 40

I bought this crimper from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago on sale for around $40. It includes dies to handle cable from 0-14 ga. It's a bit heavy and awkward to work with one hand, but once you get the feel to gently grab the terminal with the jaws before cranking down to crimp onto the cable, it goes much smoother.

I also picked up an inexpensive heat gun from Harbor Freight for the shrink wrap. I'm not an advocate for cheap tools, but these occasionally used items seem to work well under this light use. If I did this for a career, I'd buy quality. But for boat use, the $55-$60 spent was well worth it. (Whatever you do, don't buy their cable cutters! They suck!)

image_11366.jpg

Some folks will still have a nicro press tool from past rag bag days.

With a bit of care they can make fine crushed terminal end tools.

the requirement is for both a mechanical and electrical connection.

this does the mechanical very well, a hot roofing iron does the electrical.

Unless you have to do the cutting and crimping on board (such as at the end of a long existing cable that is snaked through the boat, say for a windlass or bow thruster), it is so much cheaper (amortization of a good crimper) and easier to have a local battery shop or heavy duty auto parts shop (many NAPAs, for instance) make them up for you, or use genuinedealz. A high amperage conductor is no place for an amateur job; this is one of those things that can burn your boat up.

I'm going to second the suggestion for Genuinedealz. I've bought a lot of cable from them, prices are great and always tinned wire from a major manufacturer. I've got my own heavy duty crimper, but for those who don't you can't beat their price of $1 per crimp. They are also a great source for heatshrink connectors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom